Barbers Hill 42 New Caney 14 Final/Comments

jdawg03

Friday, October 13

Barbers Hill Victorious Over New Caney, 42-14

NIck Coggin had 4 catches and a TD

Barbers Hill used an opportunistic offense and an aggressive defense to defeated the New Caney Eagles by a score of 42-14. BH had touchdowns in every quarter in acheiving their highest scoring output of the year. The win keeps Barbers Hill undefeated for the year at 6-0 and they are now 3-0 in District 21-AAAA. BH will travel to Smiley next Friday. Smiley defeated Huffman-Hargrave 10-7.

Barbers Hill defense made an immediate impact on the opening kickoff causing a fumble and recovering at the New Caney 39 yard line. On the first play from scrimmage, QB Blake Patton tossed a touchdown pass to Nick Coggin. The extra point by Coggin was good and the Eagles possessed a quick 7-0 lead.

The lead was short lived as New Caney went on a long scoring drive after the kickoff. New Caney finished off the drive with a 5 yard run. That made the score 7-7 with 9:31 still left in the first quarter.

BH answered New Caney's TD with one of their own. Mixing up some short passes and runs, the Eagles moved the ball to New Caney's 25 yard line. Patton then found Michael Davis streaking down the right sideline for a 25 yard TD. Coggin slipped on the PAT try leaving the score at 13-7.

In the second quarter, the offense used one of Mason Fisher's 3 interceptions to increase the BH lead. With the ball at the New Caney 29, Todd Patton got a huge opening from the offensive line and he scooted 29 yards for another BH touchdown. Blake Patton then converted the 2 point PAT as Barbers Hill went into the half with a 21-7 lead.

The third period opened just the opposite of the beginning of the game. New Caney recovered an Eagle fumble at the BH 30 yard line. New Caney moved the ball to the Eagle 11 where New Caney's QB ran it to cut the lead to 21-14. That would end the scoring for the visitors.

The Eagles extended their lead in the 3rd period by tacking on 14 more points. Fisher once again put the Eagles in good field position with his second interception. Quarterback Blake Patton would then run behind the left side of the offensive line for an 11 yard touchdown. The PAT made the score 28-14. Blake Patton minutes later would score his second touchdown of the night with a 4 yard run. Coggin's kick made the score 35-14.

The final touchdown came fittingly from Mason Fisher. Patton connected with Fisher around the New Caney 12 yard line. Fisher shook off 2 defenders and raced into the endzone for a 28 yard touchdown. Coggin added the final point of the night with his kick.

Eagles win 6th straight

By Mike Finley

Baytown Sun

Published October 14, 2006

What Mason Fisher does not bring to the Barbers Hill Eagles, certainly it is a lot, then the Patton twins — Blake and Todd — certainly do.

That’s the way it was here Friday night as the Eagles had little trouble dispatching New Caney for the third District 21-4A victory of the season, a 42-14 win over those other Eagles.

Fisher was the man of the hour as it played out. He is a good football player, one who has to be on the field and close to the football on every play.

Matter of fact, if he’s not close to the football, then the Pattons are.

It’s written into the fabric that is Don Price’s team.

Against New Caney, who came into the contest with a 2-0 district record, Fisher scored just one touchdown, but his presence was evident.

As for the Pattons, quarterback Blake was15 for 26 passing for 217 yards, and three touchdowns as the Eagles soared to a perfect 6-0 on the season.

Todd rushed for 82 yards on 8 carries, while Blake had 21 carries for 60 yards.

Nick Coggin had three catches for 41 yards as Barbers Hill was penalized just once for five yards.

Barbers Hill scored on the first play from scrimmage as Blake Patton hit Coggin for 39 yards and the score. The play came with 11:40 left in the first quarter, and also came on Barbers Hill’s first play following a fumble recovery.

New Caney was not going to be that easy. The visitors came back to tie the game at 7 as C.J. Dunlap went 6 yards to cap a 73-yard drive.

Quarterback Phillip Welch had two runs — both for 24 yards — to set up the score. Brandon Beck kicked the extra point.

Barbers Hill came back to go ahead with a 71-yard, 10-play masterpiece capped by Michael Davis’ 25-yard touchdown reception.

Coggin’s kick for the extra point was no good, 13-7.

Barbers Hill went up two touchdowns in the second quarter as Todd Patton went 29 yards and brother Blake ran over the two bonus points for a two-touchdown lead.

It was that way at the half, 21-7.

New Caney fought to get back into the game in the third quarter. The visitors scored as quarterback Welch scampered 9 yards and Beck kicked the extra point.

It was all Barbers Hill after that.

That man Fisher intercepted a pass at the 43-yard line and returned it to the New Caney 12.

Blake Patton went the 12 yards for the touchdown with 6:12 left in the third quarter.

Coggin was again good on the extra point.

Bake Patton raced five yards for Barbers Hill’s next touchdown with 2:23 left in the third quarter to climax a 62-yard drive that took 10 plays to complete.

It was an all Patton drive as Blake touched the ball on nine plays and Todd had the other. Nothing to it.

The Eagles wrapped up the scoring with a 28-yard pass from Blake Patton to Fisher with 8:01 left n the game. Again, Coggin was true on the extra point.

“I thought we played pretty well,†Price said. “We won and that’s the reason we go out there every Friday night. New Caney was good, but we won. That what you are supposed to do.â€

Next week, Barbers Hill travels into Houston to play Smiley. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

Great to meet up with you Gringo!! Your son looked good tonight i'm sure not his best night, but he's young, goodluck to him and New Caney. We did leave the 1st team in later than I would have liked. I would have hated to see an injury late for no reason. Coaches did do a heck of alot better play calling tonight Kudos to the coaches. Mason is not the answer to everything, but he is two good to not throw to him several times a game. We threw to Mason twice in the Crosby game & Jasper game and both games were horrible to watch because we couldn't uopen up the run. we opened up against New Caney and Bellville and man it looks alot smoother!!

What I was meaning on it could of been worse if we didn't have the turnovers or the bad snaps. When we got a drive going in the 2nd quarter we were moving it pretty good and then had 2 bad snaps back to back that were monsters. Man I didn't think it was possible to throw a ball that far in a 3 point stance. That just goes to show you what kind of athletes we have.

And hey GRINGO I dont want to sound like I am rubbing in it so please dont take it like that when I say it could have been worse.

Gringo, thanks for the kind words about our team, you show a lot of class. I think NC has one the better "O" we have played this year. It's always scary to play a team with a QB that can move like ya'll QB can. He is little scared to take a hit but other than that the kid is pretty dang good. Good luck to NC the rest of the year.

OK' date=' whoever said it was going to be a blow out was completely right, and I was wrong. Whoever was complaing about BH coaching - I'll trade you! Now - someone said if BH hadn't had so many turnovers it could have been a bigger beating, well according to the Chronicle - BH (2) had 1 int and lost 1 fumble - NC (6) had 4 int (thank you MR. FISHER) and lost 2 fumbles. NC dropped a ball in the first half that should have been an easy touchdown and fumbled on on the 3 yard line that could have gone in also, and decided to keep running a stupid draw up the middle at the end of the first half when they should have gone for 3 - BH had 66 more yards total offense than NC - it could have been closer. [b']In the end BH stomped NC's a$$ with better coaching and some very good players. I really enjoyed meeting BHFAN and BH89, great football fans. Mason Fisher gets my vote for player of the week, the kid is simply incredible on both sides of the ball. PS- do you really think it was necessary to leave your fisrt team in until the last 4 minutes of the game when your up by 4 touchdowns.

Nice meeting you too. If that Qb ever get's some webbles NC is going to be a good team.

6 straight wins?? Well' date=' they won 11 or 12 straight wins last year and Kirbyville put a stop to that.lol!![/quote']

I would have thought the Taliban stopped their internet service in Kirbyville after the bombings....... :D:D:D

P.S. Opra sucks....... :D:D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124