Central Basketball: Coach Rice

[quote name="localsports" post="709744" timestamp="1258391442"]
Anyone know the relationship of Coach Rice and the players? There are rumors some players may not play because of him.
[/quote]

man i hear that alot,but thats at alot of schools where their are players who want to blame the coach for not wanting to play.

[quote name="localsports" post="709849" timestamp="1258397510"]
This may go deeper. I hear players (Jamar Gulley included) walked out last year and was enchoraged to re-think their decision and they returned.
[/quote]

i think a lot coach goes through this with there players. some players cant stand to be hollered at,i was one of those players, and some players try to show the coaches up. Rice is a sturn coach and dont give in when players want to be hardheaded. He may not be liked by many and that might hurt him in the long run but if the kid really loves the game he will be on the roster no matter who is the coach

I agree to a point because I didn't play my sr year because of the coach. I go to every game I can and he's not a great communicater during the game. I see him subbing players with no apparent reason and not explaining to the player what he's doing wrong. Sometimes he comes down to the student level which is a mistake. This weekend during a scrimmage was one of the very first time I've seen him actually seen him coaching from the side line.

[quote name="bacbone9" post="709900" timestamp="1258399656"]
[quote author=localsports link=topic=62501.msg709849#msg709849 date=1258397510]
This may go deeper. I hear players (Jamar Gulley included) walked out last year and was enchoraged to re-think their decision and they returned.
[/quote]

[b]i think a lot coach goes through this with there players. some players cant stand to be hollered at,i was one of those players, and some players try to show the coaches up. Rice is a sturn coach and dont give in when players want to be hardheaded. He may not be liked by many and that might hurt him in the long run but if the kid really loves the game he will be on the roster no matter who is the coach[/b][/quote] This is true, some players think some owes them something. If you want to be on the TEAM you follow my rules. That's life.

Its not your job to figure out why he is subbing. He is the coach and should do what is best for his team. He should not have to explain to a kid why he is subbing for him. If the coach is the determining factor as to whether you play or not, you do not want to play that bad and eventually it will show.

Apparently some of you have never played or was not that good. For me to get better I NEED to know what I'm during wrong so I can work on it. Watch, a lot of coaches talks to the player when he comes off the floor (at least the good ones does), that's what coaching is. Does anyone know the definition of coach, open a Webster!!

Rice has had issues in the past staying focused because he felt that he was looked upon in an ill light because he had come from Westbrook to coach at Central.  He was often distracted by that pressure.  The guy has really come around in the last few years though.  There is a big difference in his coaching style now than before.  He has settled down and his focus in on the game.

As for Gulley I hear he is having the same trouble with the Junco coach that he had with Rice.  The kid is not a hard worker.  That is why he was over weight much of his career.  He is ultra talented but it takes some work to keep up and improve.  Yeah maybe you can ask the coach to be a better motivator but it is in the kid's hand ultimately to improve himself outside of the season(the coaches are only allowed to do so much).

Finally, it is an excuse not to play because of a coach, if you want to play and love the game you will play regardless... And it is CHILDISH, because in life there will be plenty bosses that you will not like but you will need to bring home the bacon.  So you will work regardless.  These quitting kids need to grow up because the world will leave you behind quickly.

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="710220" timestamp="1258418539"]
Rice has had issues in the past staying focused because he felt that he was looked upon in an ill light because he had come from Westbrook to coach at Central.  He was often distracted by that pressure.  The guy has really come around in the last few years though.  There is a big difference in his coaching style now than before.  He has settled down and his focus in on the game.

As for Gulley I hear he is having the same trouble with the Junco coach that he had with Rice.  The kid is not a hard worker.  That is why he was over weight much of his career.  He is ultra talented but it takes some work to keep up and improve.  Yeah maybe you can ask the coach to be a better motivator but it is in the kid's hand ultimately to improve himself outside of the season(the coaches are only allowed to do so much).

Finally, it is an excuse not to play because of a coach, if you want to play and love the game you will play regardless... And it is CHILDISH, because in life there will be plenty bosses that you will not like but you will need to bring home the bacon.  So you will work regardless.  These quitting kids need to grow up because the world will leave you behind quickly.

[/quote] Well said short. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I never said he need to motivate anyone, winning should be motivation enough. But I've played for coaches would coached me, meaning told me and showed me what I was doing wrong or right and I've played for coaches who said it was their way or else. That being said I would much rather be coached by someone who coached instead of just telling me what to do, maybe I'm just crazy that way. Alex Durley, Cliffton Ozen, Fred Williams, Willie Ray Smith, Sr., James Gamble, or Joe Washington, Sr didn't coach that way so maybe they were just crazy also.

Just because a coach doesnt correct a player in the game in front of the crowd doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.  There is half time, time-outs, and practice for that.  Getting substituted is part of the game.  Kids need to get their emotions off of their shoulders and put it behind them!!!!!!!

Anyone can step out there and play but it takes a mature person to be coached and to follow order.  Authority and discipline are more key than on the spot correction.  Trust me, the world is so much harder and high school sports is most kids first encounter with following & respecting leadership and instruction, other than in the class room!! 

[quote name="bassman" post="710049" timestamp="1258407540"]
Its not your job to figure out why he is subbing. He is the coach and should do what is best for his team. He should not have to explain to a kid why he is subbing for him. If the coach is the determining factor as to whether you play or not, you do not want to play that bad and eventually it will show.
[/quote]

thank you..thats how i feel also

[quote name="localsports" post="710167" timestamp="1258416222"]
Apparently some of you have never played or was not that good. For me to get better I NEED to know what I'm during wrong so I can work on it. Watch, a lot of coaches talks to the player when he comes off the floor (at least the good ones does), that's what coaching is. Does anyone know the definition of coach, open a Webster!!
[/quote]

you are right also

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83