Pirates Hope to 'Steal' One at PN-G

Pirates hope to 'steal' one at PN-G

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

PORT NECHES — No problem Jeff Mathews, all you have to do tonight is try to defeat an undefeated team.

Mathews and his Vidor Pirates will be headed to the Reservation tonight to take on the 6-0 Port Neches-Groves Indians.

The Pirates (5-1, 2-1) will be looking to keep pace with the Indians and Central Jaguars who are both 3-0 in District 20-4A.

PN-G leads the all-time series over Vidor 27-9-1 but it was the Pirates winning last year, 23-14.

This is a new year, PN-G has a new coach in Brandon Faircloth and Mathews is more than impressed.

“All around, this is the best team we have seen all year,†Mathews said. “They can pass and run the ball and they can stop the pass and the run on defense. Their special teams are outstanding. When I watch film I always watch to see one spot on a team we can pick on as their weakness. In PN-G, there really and honestly is not a weakness.â€

PN-G comes in averaging the district’s third best offense on paper. The Indians average 344.5 yards a contest.

Caleb Harmon is second in the district with 963 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Brennan Doty for PN-G leads 20-4A with 932 yards passing with seven touchdowns with five interceptions.

Blake Reyenga is PN-G’s top receiver with 21 receptions for 306 yards and three touchdowns while Spencer DeRon has 16 grabs for 327 yards and four scores.

“When you watch Harmon on film, he always falls forward and picks up another yard or two,†Mathews said. “He is so hard to bring down. I did not see one time this year where one guy tackled him because it always takes two. Their offense is going to be a big, big challenge for our defense.â€

The Vidor defense is second in the district to PN-G. The Pirates are giving up 245.5 yards a game.

PN-G’s top-rated defense is allowing 215.3 yards a contest while the Vidor offense is on top of the league with 401.7 yards a game.

Shayne Pitman leads the Pirates with 775 yards and eight touchdowns while Kevin Tate is right behind him with 549 yards and 10 touchdowns. Jacob Peevey is also in the top of the district running backs with 503 yards and four scores.

“We cannot have any turnovers or any penalties,†Mathews said. “The four games we lost last year and the one this year, we lost the turnover battle in all five of them. We also have to control the clock. Those will all be key for us at the Reservation."

“When I got this job 11 years ago and was 30-years-old and I knew it all, it was amazing the mystic of that place. You stop and think of all the great coaches and the championships that have taken place on that field. It is a magical place and PN-G is what Texas football is all about. It is going to be a huge, exciting game.â€

Jeff is a great guy who loves the kids who come through his program... he is the type of coach that only expects you to do your job.... The class act comments are right on the money... I hope he is here for another 20 years.. under his program Vidor is not the cellar dwellers they use to be... i am not saying people fear us at the mention of our team... but they do understand that they will be in for a war... Nice article as always Gabe!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83