Another Reunion for Ball High coach

maverick

Another reunion for Ball High coach

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published September 9, 2009

GALVESTON — For new Ball High head coach David Suggs, the reunion tour continues for another week.

A week after facing off against La Marque, a school where he was formerly an assistant coach, Suggs and the Tors are playing host to Beaumont Central. Suggs was the Central head coach from 2002-03.

“It’s somewhat like another La Marque for me, except I was actually the head coach at Central,†Suggs said. “We were very successful while I was there, and there are a number of guys on that staff that I know. The current head coach (Andrew Washington) was an assistant on my staff, so I still have a lot of relationships over there.â€

During his time at Beaumont Central, Suggs was 18-6. Entering the season, he had a 60-37 record as a head coach.

Suggs’ tenure as the Ball High coach didn’t get off to the best of starts last week, as the Tors were shut out by La Marque 26-0.

The new flexbone offense that Suggs and his staff installed was a bit shaky, gaining just 120 yards. Suggs said such a complicated system will take some time for his squad to master.

“I just ask that people stay patient about the offense,†Suggs said. “They really need to consider the amount of time that the kids have had to work and learn the offense. They had 10 days in the spring, 10 in the fall, and then we went straight to scrimmaging.

“It’s a process, and it’s going to take time. We aren’t going to cut any corners, and we want to make sure the kids have a strong understanding of it from the foundation.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder