Week 2: Needville -vs- La Grange

JaysFan

This week the Blue Jays take on the La Grange Leopards in La Grange.  Needville and La Grange are both 2-0.  Here's how the two teams look side by side on paper:

Needville:

Week 0: -vs- 4A Houston Worthing; W 21-0* (called in the 2nd Q due to lightning)

Week 1: -vs- Splendora; W 42-14

La Grange:

Week 0: -vs- Lockhart; W 47-28

Week 1: -vs- Yoakum; W 26-0

Needville is a "run first" offense that plays out of the Wing-T.  They've got a handful of decent sized backs that they like to pound the ball with.  Under center though is the capable 6'2" 186lb junior Caleb Berry at QB.  Berry has a good arm and if he has to, can spread the ball around.  The Jay's D is said to be their strong suit.  Earlier in the year they were able to hold D25's Bellville in check during a scrimmage in which I have read in the Ft. Bend Herald that Bellville was held scoreless.  The Jays are supposed to be decent sized up front averaging about 235-240lbs. 

So far this season the Jays have amassed 450yds offense in 1 1/2 games, 360 of which have been on the ground. The ground game is averaging 7.06yds/att.  The Jays have only passed for 90yds but are averaging 18yds a catch. 

La Grange I believe plays out of the spread and really likes to throw the ball.  Their passing game has been fairly potent so far this year.  La Grange is big up front as well buying their QB plenty of time to pick apart an opposing D.  The Leps spread the ball around to several different WRs which makes them hard to defend.  The Leps have amassed 416yds offense in 2 games so far this season, 315 of which have been through the passing game.  They are averaging 12.6yds a catch and 4.59yds a carry on the ground. 

If the Jays D can stay fresh and keep La Grange's potent passing game in check, and control the tempo of the game w/ their steady ground game, I believe the Jays can pull this one off. 

What says the people of SETXSports?

Input? Opinions? 

GO JAYS!!

Guest tigersvoice

If the Jays D can stay fresh and keep La Grange's potent passing game in check, and control the tempo of the game w/ their steady ground game, I believe the Jays can pull this one off.

Hey JaysFan, good analysis of both teams.  But, you restate the obvious in your summarization.  If the Jays do everything that you point out HOW CAN THEY NOT WIN?  You have described the PERFECT GAME for the Jays.  Yes or no answer; can they execute it?      

Hey JaysFan, good analysis of both teams.  But, you restate the obvious in your summarization.  If the Jays do everything that you point out HOW CAN THEY NOT WIN?  You have described the PERFECT GAME for the Jays.  Yes or no answer; can they executed it?     

That IS the looming question isn't it? LOL.  One of our weaknesses is our numbers.  If our D is on the field too long and gets worn down, I'm afraid the Leps' air attack will prove too much for us....but w/ that said....the Leps' offense appears to be a "quick strike" offense....so that could actually play into our favor.  Couple that w/ the Needville O being a "pound the ball" running team....that opens up the door for the Jays to control the tempo and grind the clock, keeping La Grange's offense off the field.  It's certainly going to be interesting!!  I sure hope they can do what I THINK they can do!  :)

Guest tigersvoice

Who's needleville? La Grange will probably win just because i don't know who or where needleville is...

Well that make's as much sense as some picks.  It's Needville - nothing about needles.  And, how do you know where La Grange is?  The Chicken Ranch perhaps? ;D

Do you know where Rosenberg is - Southwest of Houston by about 30 miles on Hwy 59?  Needville is about 18 - 20 miles south of Rosenberg on Hwy 36.  (No extra charge for the geography lesson.)

Stay descipline, chew up the clock with a solid ground game, and no turnovers...Best of luck Needville

It's easier said than done. Not everyone can just go out there and be perfect like you!

Any real insight? Or just another heckler?

You're exactly right buddy! I really couldn't care less about either one of these teams but i do think la grange will win.  How's that for insight brah?

I actually used to live in La Grange a few years ago. They actually won state a while back if im not mistaken.. Haven't really heard from of them since then though. Glad to see they are doing good for themselves though. Go Leps!

They're in a VERY tough district.  Giddings, Bellville, Sealy, etc.  I'd venture to say from top to bottom, it's the best district in Reg. IV.  There are several good teams in D25.  Should be a very interesting race to the district title.  The Leps' offense is said to be pretty potent.  They can really spread the ball around w/ their passing game.  It's definitely going to be a test for Needville, who is a bit low on numbers/bodies this year.  Needville IS capable of matching up and winning the game, but it will be a challenge.  La Grange is no doubt the favorite. 

La Grange wins a close in in the closing minutes!  Was an exciting game in the sense......it was never clear which team, if either of them...had any distinct advantage. 

Needville held the lead.....albeit a small one, most of the game.  First by a score of 9-8, and then 15-8.  Lots of turnovers in this one.  I believe Needville had at least 5, and I think La Grange had 2 or 3.  Penalties really hurt the Jays as well.  At one point Needville had the Leps stopped on 4th down...only to commit back to back penalties giving the Leps 20 extra yds, but also a 1st down.  This was the turning point in the game. 

Hard fought game by both teams.  La Grange has a good looking team it sounds like.  Good luck to them moving forward.  Wouldn't mind seeing the Leps again in the playoffs in normal weather conditions. 

La Grange 28

Needville 22

The Jays did not fight 11 players on the field they fought 16.  The game was called shabby at best.  Yes without a doubt the Jays had some mistakes, but the calls that were called against the Jays were very slanted.  

The leps were never called for movement on the line, face mask,or horsecollar, and were only called on one offensive pass interference.  The rain was a major factor, due to the fact that it never stopped.  The Jays did prove one thing last night, and that is that you can not trust stats or rankings.  La Grange can not be proud of the win last night.  

I am not saying that they do not have a good team, because they do.  However I do not think they were ready for what they got on the grid from the Jays!

Good Luck to them in the future, I hope to see the two teams play in the playoffs!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83