Evans A Quiet Assassin For Orangefield

KFDM COOP

Evans a quiet assassin for ’Cats

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — Derrick Evans does not like the spotlight.

The Orangefield senior does not care if his name is ever printed in The Orange Leader.

He only wants to win.

Evans’ name was in the spotlight this past Friday when he scored two touchdowns on two rushes against East Chambers.

Instead of gloating like a lot of players seem to do in sports these days, Evans kept it simple on Wednesday.

“That was nice but a win would have been better,†Evans said.

Orangefield coach Brian Huckabay loved that answer from one of his highlight players.

“That is the perfect answer,†Huckabay said. “That is exactly what we preach as coaches. Derrick epitomizes what a team player is. He is not worried about being an individual and his stats.â€

Evans can do a lot for the Bobcats. He can set up as a running back, a receiver and also stands in as Orangefield’s kicker.

Evans is in his third year starting for the Bobcats.

He caught eight passes for 111 yards in 2008 and kicked 10 extra points and two field goals.

“It feels really good to be a senior,†Evans said. “I really don’t like the spotlight to be on me. I feel really good about this team this year. The atmosphere is a lot different than years past.â€

Huckabay knows Evans could very well be a major key in the Bobcats coming up with a playoff run this season.

“We hope he has a big season,†Huckabay said. “He is one of those guys who can make a couple of big plays a game. We are not a big-play offense but he is that guy that is going to keep defenses honest. He is a very quiet and unassuming player. He is a smart kid who has learned the game quick. Derrick can go unnoticed but when he gets his hands on the ball, he can make big plays.â€

Evans now hopes the Bobcats are ready to prove some experts wrong in 2009.

“We have to keep working hard and I think we can do some good things,†Evans said. “I like being the underdog team so we can surprise some people. I have enjoyed my years here at Orangefield and would not have wanted to be anywhere else.â€

Great article, Gabe! Derrick is a class act and a good kid!  Seems like Orangefield has an excellent coach that will take the Bobcats to another level of play. 

Some teams might be in for a surprise when playing against them.  Good luck OF, just not when you come to BC!

I agree BC. He seems to be an all around great guy with good character.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476