BCLL one step away from LLWS

BCLL one step away from LLWS

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — One step away.

The Bridge City 12 year old All-Stars are headed to Waco to participate in the Southwest Regionals to advance to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Penn.

BCLL won the Texas East State Tournament to advance to Waco and now has all of Southeast Texas on their side.

“I was there and I still don’t believe what we have done,†Coach Ronnie Shugart said Wednesday. “This group really is not smart enough to know they can lose. When we started this thing when the kids were seven, we were doing travel ball and getting beat to death in Houston. I kept telling the kids the score does not matter. Now it really does not matter because they play until the umpires say ‘Ball Game.’â€

BCLL was practicing for the last time Wednesday before heading out to Waco on Thursday.

“One of the special things about this team is they really love to practice,†Shugart said. “There are some days I cut practice short and they ask why because they still want to keep going. They love the game of baseball and love to work.â€

This team has played about 400 games together and accomplished something no other Bridge City Little League team by winning a state championship.

“When we started years ago we did it for one reason, to make a run to the Little League World Series,†Shugart added. “I have been telling them every year that when they were 12 we would go to Williamsport. Now we are not going to quit until they officially tell us we cannot go. They truly believe they are going.â€

Shugart is looking for BCLL to accomplish a few cliches in Waco, win with pitching and defense.

“If we can continue to do that and scratch a few runs together, I think we will be OK,†Shugart added. “The support has been amazing. Every where we go, if we have our hats on, people ask if we are a part of this team and wish us good luck. The kids know they are representing our whole region and they are very proud of that.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder