Spring Hill vs Bridge City...thurs Lufkin Hudson sat angelina

Longview Spring Hill finishes off Robinson baseball, 4-3

By Chad ConineTribune-Herald staff writer

Sunday, May 24, 2009

CANTON — The Robinson baseball team showed fight, but Spring Hill showed the ability to finish.

The Panthers built a 4-0 lead, then barely held back a Robinson rally in the top of the seventh to claim a 4-3 victory in the Class 3A Region III quarterfinals Saturday afternoon.

After rallying from a 3-0 deficit for a 6-3 win in the series opener Thursday night in Ennis, Spring Hill clinched the series and advanced to the regional semifinal to play Bridge City.

The Panthers (28-2) finished the regular season at No. 2 in the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association 3A rankings, one spot ahead of Robinson (24-5), making this regional quarterfinal perhaps a premature meeting of two of the state’s best.

And though Spring Hill swept the best-of-three set, Robinson definitely pushed the Panthers.

Spring Hill ran its ace pitcher, left-hander Garrett Methvin, to the mound to start Game 2, and for a while, Methvin seemed nearly untouchable.

He scattered three hits and struck out nine through the first six innings as the Panthers pulled in front by four runs.

“He’s a tough pitcher,†Robinson coach Derek Watson said. “At times we didn’t battle him as hard as we could have. But as we wore him down, we put ourselves in position.â€

Methvin walked Robinson’s Ryan White to lead off the top of the seventh, giving the Rockets a start to their last-inning rally. But Methvin kept it from escalating quickly by striking out the next two batters.

Robinson’s Hunter Abbe and Kory Funk each worked full-count walks to load the bases.

Rockets leadoff hitter Matt Walker hit a grounder deep in the hole at second. Spring Hill second baseman Brandon Arden fielded it but didn’t have a play, allowing Walker to drive in pinch-runner Jared Pryor, running for White.

That set up Robinson’s Boone Weiss with the bases loaded and the tying run on first.

“When we got back up to the top of the order, I felt it,†Watson said. “Boone had a smile and I had a smile.â€

Weiss doubled off the wall in right-center, driving in Abbe and Zach Yelland, running for Funk.

Methvin, who had controlled the game through six innings, gave way with the tying run at third in Walker and the go-ahead run at second in Weiss. Spring Hill coach Griff Mauldin sent Dylan Brown to the mound in relief.

Brown faced Robinson No. 3-hole hitter Taylor James, who was 0-for-7 in the series at that point.

Still, Watson said there was no one on the Rockets’ roster he would’ve rather had in the batter’s box at that moment than the senior James, a .600 hitter for the season.

“I was just worried they were going to walk him,†Watson said. “For four years, he’s been a .500 or better hitter.â€

But Brown, a right-hander, gave Spring Hill the change of pace it needed as he struck out James on three pitches.

Watson said the team that makes it to the state tournament from Region III could be the strongest contender for the state title. Though it won’t be the Rockets, Watson was still pleased with the season.

“I told the guys just now that these last two games in no way take away from what we were able to accomplish,†Watson said.

Lufkin is a possibility I'm sure. Morris Frank Stadium.

This is the best bet because its half way.

what if they're booked already??

That is why I say possibility. Just a guess in my book. LHP, good to have you back.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder