21-4A Previews

BH89

2006 may be the year the Yellow Jackets make some noise in District play and then some. QB Ghan McGaffie who has already passed for 438 yards, 4 Td’s, and rushed for a solo TD spearheads this year’s version of the Jackets.

A QB is not a one-man team and with receivers like SR. Jamarius Credit one doe not have to be. Jamarius recently helped the Galena Park Yellow Jackets mount 404 yards in the air and score 35 points against the local rivalry Channelview (5-A). Jamarius boasted 161 yards and 2-TD's during the 35 - 28 victory Friday night.

As good as the passing game is, balance is the key to the Yellow Jackets success. With only 42 yards difference between rushing and passing yards, players like Lester Bush and Jonathan White will surely be worth watching on tape. Lester has rushed for 3 Td's in the first two games and combined with two others to even out this offense with 396 yards on the ground. The yellow jackets sport an impressive 834 yards in the first 2 games and has scored 64 total points.

If there is one shortcoming for the Yellow Jackets it is defense. The defense has given up 28 points in each of its two games. District teams like Crosby and Galena Park may exploit this weakness if not shored up by then.

The true test for the Yellow Jackets may not come until the last game in District. On November 10th the Yellow Jackets will host the newcomers to 4-A football, The Barbers Hill Eagles. This could be the deciding game for the district crown. With 19 seniors the Yellow Jackets hope to send off their graduates with a playoff run and a district title.

Crosby has started off at 1-1 after falling 21-14 to a normally good Port Neches Groves team. Although PNG may be a bit down from previous years, they still have a quality club and Crosby showed they can play with the likes of the Indians. Crosby moves into week 3 facing a Dickinson Gators team that has a quality QB and running back. Crosby should match up well against Dickinson with an offense known for throwing the ball effectively. Crosby is lead by JR QB Duran Starks, and NO he is not from Orange, Texas. Duran has passed for 2 T’s and 231 yards and rushed for 32 yards in his first two games. Three primary receivers Thomas Labain, Jesse Moore, and Zeph George will require some attention for the defense. In particular, Sr. WR/DB Thomas Labain has caught for 136 yards and 2 TD’s in his return to the 06 Crosby Cougars. Thomas is going to require the attention of a defense.

If there is one thing about the Crosby Cougars that should stand out for the apposing defense, it is the inability of Crosby to run the ball. Crosby has had troubling moving the ball on the ground in their first two games. Crosby had more success against a weaker run defense in the PNG Indians and should put things together in the coming weeks.

All said, Crosby should be in the hunt for a top 3 spot in district 21-4A. Crosby should know where they stand soon enough, as they face top seed Galena Park and 2nd seed Barbers Hill in their first 4 games.

BH Next Preview then Huffman

Barbers Hill fired off in 2005 with a start that most would admire. The Eagles were among the states top scorers and defenders. After loosing start QB Chris Daniels before the first district game, the Eagles bounced back and Patrick Cook picked up where Chris left off.

The 2006 version of the Eagles once again showcases a new QB in SR. Blake Patton. Blake has a twin brother Todd Patton who protects his back and runs the ball out of the backfield. The two have combined for almost 300 yards offense in the first two games. Also new to the Eagles starting roster this year is 2005 Lee High School transfer Michael Davis (WR). Davis is a blessing in disguise in more ways than one. Besides leading the Eagles with an average of 14 yards per reception, Mr. Davis has allowed less pressure to be placed on All-District MVP Mason Fisher (WR). When you discuss the Eagles offense, you can’t say enough about this trio. If the coaching staff finds a way to get the ball in the receiver’s hands, this offense should prove to rack-up the points against their opponents in the coming weeks.

My team - so I won’t brig up any offensive weaknesses…… :D:D

As for the 2006 Eagles defense the Eagles are loaded with playmakers. The Eagles have only allowed 13 points in two games. Improving on a 2005 defense was hopeful, however the Eagles have shown this to be the case. The Eagles have a linebacker in Joe Sexton that ranks among the areas best. Opposite Joe is arguably one of the best Defensive Ends in the region in Kyle Cox. These two will certainly create havoc for anyone carrying the ball. Special attention should also be paid to Cameron Swart and Daniel McSwain. Two-way players Mason Fisher, Todd Patton, and Michael Davis are waiting in the backfield for the opportunity to pick a pass. All this being said, we must not forget the defensive line. The defensive line has shown the ability to stop the run both vertically and horizontally. When you combine all this with outstanding special teams, the Eagles should be in contention for the 21-4A District Title.

The 2006 Huffman Falcons find new and old faces in their 21-4A home. One opponent the Falcons would have preferred to leave behind is their rival The Barbers Hill Eagles. Not only do the falcons have a new district home, but they also have a new head coach, new defensive coordinator and a new starting QB.

Starting Sr. QB Zach Sipe will need to use his experience playing the Eagles if he hopes to lead the Falcons to a district title. The district standings may very well not be decided until week 10 for the Falcons. Zach has taken to his new role rather well, having put up quite impressive numbers during the Falcon’s first 3 games. Zach is supported by a variety of talent at the receiver positions. Names such as Cody Schexnaider and the “Hendrix Boys†Cody and Casey should become familiar to district 21-4A. Even though the air attack has been the name of the game for the Falcons, one should not forget Ryan Latour out of the backfield. Ryan has had a fair start to the 2006 season and should do well behind his returning offensive lineman.

The one area the Falcons are going to have to improve on before week 4 is the defense. Big plays and missed assignments have cost the Falcons one game already. A tougher road ahead awaits the Flacons when they meet Galena Park, Crosby and Barbers Hill. Don’t be surprised if the Falcons slip into the post season.

Forest Brook Preview

After being domniated by Nederland in their first game of the season (44-6), the Forest Brook Jaguars seem to have fallin off the map. Not much is out there about this once dominant team, but one thing is for sure, they have much more football to play.

Forest Brook has a quality QB in Lance Calloway and with another Calloway in the mix they can make for yards on the ground. Wish i could say more for this team, but they just don't have much out there about them. Maybe our Nederland folks can share some info.

C.E. King

The Panthers are in that group of teams that have just not been able to put things together in this district. Stats would show the QB is either running for his life or there is not much else for them to do. The Panthers did play a decent Livingston team close with a 21-30 finish. If there is a bright spot for this group, it is their secondary, team speed, and starting QB Charvish Nash. Although not a dominant start, the Panthers should still find a way to compete for that 3rd spot in district, however they will need to pick things up to make the playoffs.

Smiley is home to the Golden Eagles and a 3-0 start to the 3006 season. Don't pack the playoff bags yet, the 3 wins come to teams that have yet to win a game......I think.

If you need a familiar comparison to be made, Vidor beat Jones 43-0 and Smiley beat Jones by 7 points. With the dominance BH has had over Vidor and Galena Park having dominated Smiley, let's hope they are not counting chickens in Smiley Texas.

New Caney Eagles

Yes, this district is full of Eagles. Yet another Eagle team, however much different results. New Caney is a team that seems to always have a few good players, but just not much to go with them. A good comparison of this team to SETX would be a 14-21 defeat at the hands of Lumberton.

Look for New Caney to battle it out for the 4 or 5 spot.

How They Finish----My Opinion

Barbers Hill

Galena Park

Crosby

Huffman

New Caney

C.E. King

Forest Brook

Smiley

The 4th spot is going to be very interesting to watch. Huffman might just upset Crosby, which in my book is not an upset at all. Huffman has a good offense this year, just need to improve a bit on defense.

The district winner also might be a toss-up should BH have injuries. The BH vs. Galena Park game is the last game in district, so the Eagles will need to stay healthy and play back-ups when possible.

Looks Good BH89. Here is my opinion

1 BH

2 Galena Park

3 CE King

4 Crosby

5 New Caney

6 Huffman

7 Forrest Brook

8 Smiley

I am going to watch CE King tonight and will have a report for those interested. Still waiting on someone from PNG to give us a report on Crosby. Wished Galena Park was playing tonight, that is the team I REALLY want to see before week 10.

1 BH

2 Galena Park

3 CE King

4 Crosby

5 New Caney

6 Huffman

7 Forrest Brook

8 Smiley

OK, I watched CE King last night against Caney Creek. CE King has a small QB who is not very fast, but can run OK. They have a running back that can run OK. They run three main plays, full back up the middle, the QB draw and the option around the end. They have NO passing game at all. I don't think they even completed one pass. BH will beat them by A LOT....and I mean A ALOT. I wil go out on a limb and say they may not even score.

CE King will be in one of the final three spots, my guess is 6th or 7th.

1 BH

2 Galena Park

3 CE King

4 Crosby

5 New Caney

6 Huffman

7 Forrest Brook

8 Smiley

Well you have your opinion but I see it this way

1 Galena Park

2 Barbers Hill

3 Huffman

4 New Caney

5 Crosby

6 CE King

7 Forest Brook

8 Smiley

I think the 3a "newbies" come in and take the #2 and 3 spots and show 4a whats up. Im out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124