Tarkington promotes from within

TISD board names new head football coach

Head Football Coach and Athletic Director Walter Fortune of Tarkington High School will not be the head football coach next season. That decision was made by the Tarkington School Board at a recent meeting.

The board decided that it was time for a change in the high school football program, which Fortune has been apart of since 1998-2002, then left and came back in 2005-2009.

According to Fortune, the board's explanation was simple as it came down to the number of wins in the record book. With that in mind, Fortune, will step down from the football program.

The school board has named Robert Carr as the new head football coach. Carr was the defensive coach this past season for Coach Fortune and the Longhorns.

Carr will only become head coach of the football team and Coach Fortune will remain athletic director.

"Well, a change needed to be made because of the number of wins, and in today's society, football is everything. Being a coach is tough because it comes down to wins. I will still be athletic director, which means I am still able to help the kids because that is really what it is about," Fortune said.

The Longhorn football program future is in Coach Carr's hands. Fortune was gracious in his praise for Carr's abilities.

"Coach Carr and I have the same beliefs, meaning I know he will work the kids hard and keep things simple. He is a great guy. I am glad he is taking over the program. I hate to give it up after 19 years, but since I had to it is in the best hands with Coach Carr," Fortune said.

I cant Believe it took this long

Your talking about a program that has not made the playoffs since what 1957? And you are worried about wins? Coach Fortune is a good man and football Coach. You have to have the talent and last I checked not much to work with.

Good luck to the Longhorns and Walter.  I dont think it's going to matter who's there though.  Its just not a football school and doesnt look like it ever will be.  You take the same kids who get murdered in football and they succeed in track, baseball, and basketball.  Most of the kids who have been good there for the longest time have been move-ins.  I hope they will eventually get it going, but even if they had the athletes the admin does not care about football

Your talking about a program that has not made the playoffs since what 1957? And you are worried about wins? Coach Fortune is a good man and football Coach. You have to have the talent and last I checked not much to work with.

I agree Coach Fortune is a great guy.

I agree Coach Fortune is a great guy.

I played for the , he has never run the right offense for the kids he had, and like prev. posted same kids with at everything else makes you wonder if its the COACH, or just the community.

Then again All it mattered was how much your mom or dad was up at the school kissing his

WHAT?????

I cant understand anything the previous post said.

OH well...

Hopefully they can give Carr some of the stuff they promised Fortune. Their fieldhouse is about 90 years past time to remodel. They are understaffed. No maintenace!!!

Seriously how many 3A programs Have all of these things to overcome.

The coaches at T-town are good coaches that work their but off because they care about 90 times more than anyone else.

Dont tell me they are poor.

Look at their band hall and Auto shop..

IT is called Priorities!!!!!!!!!!

Yea Longhornfan, While you played for him you dont know all of the stuff that is promised to the coaches there to have for the players and nothing is ever delivered.  Ex. the field house was part of the bond of the new school when the old sup. left.  All of the sudden Kirchner, A middle school asst principal might I add, comes in and it is not part of  it.  As Gorilla said, the program is set up for failure from the top which does not allow them to succeed.  You don't see Denise Johnson in that fieldhouse.  Walter is not the only head coach in Tarkington history and they still have not been to the playoffs since the 50's so the blame has to go somewhere else.

Guest ECBucFan

Its just not a football school and doesnt look like it ever will be. ....... You take the same kids who get murdered in football and they succeed in track, baseball, and basketball. 

That was exactly the same situation at EC in 92, 93, 94. Maybe won a game or two in football, but won everything else. Things will change, believe it or not. EC has one of the longest playoff streaks in the whole area (14 years) now. Tark could be the next EC. 

I hope the next thing he gets is tickets out of Town

I find it funny that you created a profile to comment on this situation only.  Sounds like you might have been a bench warmer at a sucky football school.  It's ok, not everybody was meant to play football.  Maybe you should try checkers or something.

Tarkington was horrible in football back when I was in school 30 years ago, and have been ever since.  The problem is a lot deeper than Coach Fortune.  The problem with schools like Tarkington and Shepherd is they hire a coach then give him 2 to 3 years to turn the program around, and that is only if he plays their kid, if not he will be done after 1 year.  Won't happen.  Walter at least had them competitive in the other sports.

I find it funny that you created a profile to comment on this situation only.  Sounds like you might have been a bench warmer at a sucky football school.  It's ok, not everybody was meant to play football.  Maybe you should try checkers or something.

No I wasn't a benchwarmer as a matter of fact

No I wasn't a benchwarmer as a matter of fact

So what's your point?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami