Mustangs nab huge win against Crosby in Certa-Bearden

Mustangs nab huge win against Crosby in Certa-Bearden

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — The West Orange-Stark Mustangs baseball team will remember Friday night for a very long time.

The Mustangs came in as underdogs against the Crosby Cougars and left Ronnie Anderson Field 4-1 winners.

WO-S (6-3) got a terrific performance from sophomore Zane Anderson on the mound.

Anderson went all seven innings and gave up one run on six hits with one walk and nine strike outs. He assisted in making sure Crosby stranded seven runners throughout the game.

“That is the best game I have ever pitched,†Anderson said. “It felt great. I knew I was going to have a good outing in the first inning. I was feeling all my pitches and hitting the corners.â€

WO-S Coach Jesse Riojas understands Friday’s win was not only big for the Certa-Bearden Tournament, it was a big win period.

“This was a big win for our season,†Riojas said. “We can’t be satisfied but we will remember this win. This shows a lot for our team and this program. All the hard work is really paying off. These kids have been working hard since last May.â€

The game was tied at 1-1 before Kendall Veitch put the Mustangs ahead for good with a sacrifice fly which plated Darius Mitchell.

Clayton Gearhart then drove in John Jefferson, who was running for Jordan Darnall, to make it 3-1 on a RBI single to right field.

Anderson and Darnall teamed up on the Cougars in the top of the sixth to make sure a rally would not happen.

Anderson struck out the first Crosby batter before Frank Rangel hit a single to center.

Darnall caught Rangel trying to steal for the second out and Anderson took care of the rest by striking out Cody Ressler for the third out.

Taylor Bonnin then led off the top of the sixth with a double to left.

Justin Sparrow then moved Bonnin over to third with a sacrifice bunt.

Bonnin made it 4-1 when Cody Hodge reached on a catcher interference call.

The Cougars did load the bases in the top of the seventh on an error, walk and infield single.

Anderson once again put the Mustangs on his back with a strike out to end the game.

Riojas was also happy at the size of the crowd at the tournament, a tournament which was not played for several years at WO-S High School.

“It’s all about Ronnie Anderson sitting there,†Riojas said. “It’s about the alumni hanging around and the crowd.â€

The Mustangs will face Dayton at 10 a.m. tomorrow and Kingwood Park at 3 p.m.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont