Offshore Report 8-12-06

Guest Jody

Well, if you have not been out lately plan on making a long run for better fish. The surface temperature is runing over 90 degrees and the bottom temperature at 70 feet was a wopping 87 degrees on my dive computer. I ran a charter out of Galveston Saturday and we had a fair day. We did catch a big ling and had one even bigger spit the hook and just would not take another bait. I should have jumped in and speared him, but I didn't think about it.

My advice, stay away from the rigs. They have been hit VERY hard by now, commercial and recreational anglers. Find rocks or secluded structure in 90 - 200 feet of water for better fish. Over 100 foot is best.

Here is the Ling:

roger_ling.jpg

Here are a few others that were caught. We had a BIG Spanish Mackrel and some decent Kings. Few small snapper, with one big snapper that pulled a hook straight at the boat.

pic14.jpg

Those snapper looked kinda small to me. I'm planning a trip soon and hope they're( big ones) not all gone.

All were 16 inches or better. We were in state waters, so 15 would have been ok. Had one about 20 lbs on, but the guy who tied the knot did not do so well. Fish pulled the hook off at the boat.

Headed out tomorrow, hopefully better fish.

Let me know how that goes. I'd be interested in kowing how deep I'll have to run.

Went out of Freeport yesterday and about 53 miles out starting hitting snapper holes (Rocks). I had the 4 largest snapper on the boat ranging between 10 and 15 lbs. Some BIG Lane Snapper were also caught, some around 6-7 lbs. All this was in about 180 -190 feet of water. After everyone had a few snapper, we began hitting shrimp boats. The first boat had about 10 ling, numeroud kings, and a few blackfin. I ended up with 2 ling, 1 blackfin, and a few kings, one about 35 lbs.

Pattern: Tuna on flying fish with clear leader or no leader on shrimp boats. No leader seemed to be working better. Cast far away from the boat to get better results.

Bigger Snapper on cut bait (hard-tails) under flourocarbon 80 lb leader with 8 oz weight above leader. Using smaller hooks 6-7 circle or live bait type to match color of hardtail.

Kings were hitting jigs and flot lines with sardines under a wire leader.

Ling: Mainly sardines. I had one to about 55-60 lbs on a white and red curlie tail hogie. Caught it on a TLD 15 and 30 lb test......what fun!

One word of advice: GO DEEP! If your not in 180 to 200 feet of water, good luck. The better fish are deep. Water at 70 feet two weeks ago was 87 F and 93 F surface.

180-200 ft.?????

I'm SOL then. I'd have to run 100 miles or more out of Sabine.

Guess I'll have to catch babies. :cry:

Can you trailer your boat? If you want to buddy-boat one day I would be glad to set it up and we could run out of Freeport. We are also planning a Venice trip for tuna next year.

If you SCUBA dive we are doing a spearfishing/ron-n-reel trip late in the month and again next month out of Matagorda. It's a split the fuel trip (less than 100.00 normally).

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami