OH NO -- RANDOM THOUGHTS

Yes, I’m back…well, maybe not back, but making a special playoff appearance with an edition of the long-lost RANDOM THOUGHTS. 

Today’s RANDOM THOUGHTS come to you from beautiful Oxford, Mississippi as I await Game 3 of the three-game series between Ole Miss and Auburn.  For those of you who don’t know, Game 1 was won by the Rebels when a certain former West Brook player slammed a 3 run walk-off in the bottom of the 9th to complete a 7-6 Ole Miss rally.  Game 2 (won by the interlopers from Alabama) does not deserve any further mention…

Kudos to District 21-3A as all three teams advance.  Jasper rolls in two games while both BC and HJ rallied from a game 1 defeat to defeat Needville and Sweeny respectively.  One 21-3A team will go home this week as BC-Jasper hook it up in a “its déjà vu all over again†matchup.  If it is anywhere as intense as last year’s regional final, it will be a treat for all.  Unlike last year, BC is the district champ (advantage Cards) but it is hard to pick against Mixon (advantage Bulldogs).  The line?  Too close to call but I’m going with Joe Robertson and the Cards in 3 (this should make the ‘Dogs faithful happy:  I took BC last year, too).  In the HJ series with Giddings (a 3 game winner over Katy Park), I’ll take the Hawks in 3, although the Buffaloes can swing it.  HJ will need a big weekend from Rogers, Monse, et al.

In 4A, PNG rolled last week riding Eric Harrington in Game 1 and cruising to a 5-2 win in Game 2, eliminating Katy Seven Lakes.  It gets a little rougher for Jay Stone and the Indians as they take on the Lamar Cons. Mustangs.  The Mustangs (for those of you who have been asleep for the past week), swept LCM from the playoffs, a tough loss for the Bears in the 2nd round.  I pause to note this:  LCM will wear that loss if they get a “win†with Coach Griff’s son, Gage.  Our prayers remain with that family.

The shocker in 4A is the early exit by Barbers Hill, a preseason contender to make it to Austin.  Boasting one of the finest pitching staffs in the area, BH imploded the last 2 weeks of the season and were sent home in 3 games by the Bay City Blackcats.  Don’t get me wrong, Bay City is a fine team but the Eagles really looked loaded.  I do not understand what happened here.  Next year will be a year to reload for the Hill, losing (among others) Hales, Thamm, and Silva (good players AND great kids)…

Runner up shocker?  The Pirates from Vidor...I really thought they'd blow and go through a couple of rounds. Still, what a rejuvenated program the past couple of years.  Congrats to Coach Green.

Finally, in 5A…oops, no one left as the Brook lost a 3 game set last week to La Porte.  Still, a great year for the over-achieving Bruins who will wonder ‘what if’ starting C Todd Wallace hadn’t blown a knee.  To the west, Baytown Sterling stayed “in it to win it†by sweeping Clements behind their firethrowin’ duo of Hunter Cervenka and Brett Marshall.  The Rangers draw long-time power Elkins in the Regional Quarters.

There…some RANDOM THOUGHTS.  Now, its off to the old ballpark.  Go Rebs.  Hoddy Toddy !!!!

Well, the 'prediction' of BC in three just got tossed out the window when Jasper chose a 1 game, winner take all on Friday in Nederland.  Gotta give Mixon credit...it may or may not work for him but his has got some 'guts'.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124