WOS Stadium Name a No-Brainer

Guest GoStangs

Guest GoStangs

Here is a real good article on the issue from The Orange Leader:

WO-S stadium name a 'no-brainer' decision

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Here’s hoping that the West Orange-Stark school board does the right thing.

On Monday night, the board will once again discuss renaming Mustang Stadium after longtime Athletic Director and head football coach Dan Hooks.

Dan R. Hooks Stadium has a certain nice ring to it.

It really shouldn’t take long, that might be one of the biggest “no-brainers†decision around these parts in a long, long time.

Here is a man that is in the Southeast Texas Coaching Hall of Fame, the only active coach ever selected for that honor. He is certainly destined for the Texas State Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

There have been 228 victories along a 25-year head coaching path at WO-S, against just 63 defeats. Let’s not forget, the Mustangs certainly haven’t lined up against “the sisters of the poor,†as Coach Hooks always likes to throw out there.

Of course, there are those four state championship game appearances in the 4A ranks, including state titles in 1986 and 1987. Perhaps the most impressive WO-S feat was reaching the 4A Division II State Championship Game in 2000 despite lining up against schools nearly twice its size, especially in the playoffs. Folks, that is called an excellent coaching staff.

Hooks’ 31-13 record in the playoffs is as solid as it gets and the 14 district championship trophies floating around the WO-S campus certainly looms large.

To be honest, it’s almost to a point where you can’t say anything about high school football in the state without throwing Hooks’ name out there, especially around Southeast Texas.

Some folks, however, seem to disagree with the whole notion of the renaming of Mustang Stadium. At last week’s board meeting, four board members were in favor of the whole idea, and of course, there was one dissenter, to no one’s surprise.

It seemed like we had the same issue a few years back in the renaming of Mustang Park to Ronnie Anderson Park. Everyone remembers Coach Anderson, the legendary Mustang baseball coach who is in the state Hall of Fame.

The “so-called†big issue was that Coach Hooks doesn’t live in the WO-S district, doesn’t pay taxes in the district and didn’t send his kids to school in the district.

As my daughter says from time to time, “Get real.â€

It doesn’t matter if the man commuted from Tallahassee, Fla. every day, even though the Bridge City area is a much shorter trip. All Coach Hooks has done was work hard for a district for 30 years, but I reckon, that isn’t good enough for some.

I would love to get a hold of a run sheet that tallied up where Southeast Texas live. I bet almost half of them don’t live in the district that they coach in.

Coach Hooks is the “anchor leg†of what is a tremendous coaching staff, one that has stayed intact for the most part over the years. I’ve watched that staff over the years turn kids that were “on the fence†into superb young men. Wins and losses mean a lot but the kids are what count the most.

I can’t think of any school of its size, that has sent as many players on to the collegiate level. I’ve also watched Coach Hooks bend over backwards to help kids from other schools get college opportunities and that’s rare.

The only true argument that anyone could really have is naming a stadium after a coach that is still barking out calls from the sidelines. But, those that know Dan Hooks, know that he could be doing that for a few more years to come. Every year I ask him the retirement question and I usually get an answer like, “Van, you should see this kid at tailback down in the seventh grade, we can’t wait to get him up here.â€

The thing with Coach Hooks is that he would be proud and honored to receive such an honor, especially for his family’s sake. However, when Sept. 8 comes around when the Mustangs host Little Cypress-Mauriceville in their home opener, it’s going to be all about the football business and the task at hand for Hooks, no matter if it’s called Mustang Stadium or WO-S Metropolitan Stadium sponsored by Tough Action’ Tinactin. That’s what he’s all about.

A 4-1 vote and approval of the new stadium name certainly sounds good from this perspective. To claim Coach Hooks doesn’t deserve this honor is simply unimaginable. This isn’t Port Arthur ISD. Let’s hope not.

WO-S Superintendent Dr. O. Taylor Collins has certainly seemed to be the right man for the job. He has ruffled a few feathers but he seems to be a “mover and shaker†and is shuffling some things around that probably needed shuffling a long time ago.

The WO-S board has too many more pressing issues to worry about than naming a stadium after a man that certainly deserves it. Let’s hope they get that accomplished real quick so they can get back to the work at hand so Coach Hooks can be really proud of that stadium name five and 10 years down the road.

Van writes a great article. He gives us great local coverage.

Van, is one of the best around. He always seems to write passionatly about his subjects. This causes the reader to "feel" and not just read. Good article Van :wink:

There is a great article on Hooks in this weeks County Record Newspaper if anyone can get their hands on one.

He also wants to put a large sign up at the stadium with all the team acomplishments throughout the years. He's looking for donations and help.

There is a great article on Hooks in this weeks County Record Newspaper if anyone can get their hands on one.

He also wants to put a large sign up at the stadium with all the team acomplishments throughout the years. He's looking for donations and help.

just went by the stadium, the coaches are putting up the fence advertisements. they put 2 boards up. one for the titles and one for the finals appearances. there right above the retired jerseys of k. smith, c. cole., and e. anderson. 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami