Roc to assist in Seahawks' search

Roc to assist in Seahawks' search

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

Meet the newest consultant in Lamar State College-Port Arthur's search for a basketball coach. He's Port Arthur native and Lamar Cardinals head basketball coach Steve Roccaforte.

Through two seasons at LU-Beaumont, Roccaforte is a former LU student in health and kinesiology under former LU teacher and current LSC-PA athletics director Bill Worsham.

The bond between the two has remained solid over the years and Roc has expressed a willingness to assist Worsham in whatever capacity is deemed necessary in the Seahawks' efforts to replace Don Bryson. The only men's head basketball coach in the program's four-year history, Bryson announced his retirement at the end of the 2007-08 season.

LSC-PA plans to act swiftly because it is entering the extremely competitive NJCAA Division I level's Region XIV next winter in men's basketball, as it already is in women's softball.

The school's Human Resource department compiled a list of applicants which was provided to The Port Arthur News on Monday. Worsham hoped that Roccaforte and Bryson would assist his efforts in narrowing down the field to a group of eight to 10 semifinalists.

The Seahawks athletics director hoped to be able to publicly provide a list of two to five finalists by Apr. 25.

How willing is Roccaforte to assist in Lamar-Port Arthur's efforts? That's up to Worsham.

"Roc and I have agreed that I will bring the (application) packets to him and let him review the names," Worsham said. "I talked to him about that last Monday night. He was straight-forward in saying that he didn't wish to make a specific recommendation."

An on-campus committee will assist Worsham in making a recommendation to LSC-PA President Dr. Sam Monroe. That recommendation may come as soon as Apr. 25, too.

The Seahawks' head basketball coach was posted at the end of March and was listed with a salary of $42,000 to $48,000. Worsham said he had visited with at least 15 interested prospects over the phone about the position.

"They feel it's an outstanding opportunity to put together a good program," Worsham said.

Roccaforte downplayed his role as a consultant but accented his willingness to assist if necessary.

"Really and truly, I'm not involved that much," Roccaforte said. "But I have remained good friends over the years with Bill Worsham and Dr. Monroe and I told them, 'whenever you get a list, I'll do whatever you want me to do'.

"I'm sure they know what's best for their situation."

The following names have been submitted to The News as applicants for LSC-PA's head basketball coaching position:

Guest DickVitale

He would not even be REMOTELY interested in Lamar-PA..Not remotely...Lamar UNIVERSITY HEAD COACH, yes....Just give it some time..I have been hearing some things.... 8)

He would not even be REMOTELY interested in Lamar-PA..Not remotely...Lamar UNIVERSITY HEAD COACH, yes....Just give it some time..I have been hearing some things.... 8)

It would be a stepping stone to the next level, if assistant coach is not his thing.

Guest DickVitale

DV come clean what is up?

I will say this....A VERY close and personal friend of the Lamar A.D. has revealed to me that he is NOT very happy with the way his current head coach has done some things. I cannot say specifically, but lets just say they have butt heads on some issues regarding the program and staff. He IS OK with the job he is doing, therefore, he will be patient with him, however, the program had better continue on the upswing....I know who was contacted about coming to Lamar when the AD was the head coach, while the current HC was still in Tennessee. I was there....As long as he is still available, he will continue to pursue him....In one way or another....Take that HOWEVER you like, and I hope you noticed that I mentioned NO NAMES... ;)

billy may offer him the asst. job again when Rock leaves, but they will never just offer him the head job straight from ozen.

I know he will never be there until Rock is ready to leave. And Rock will not be leaving any time soon, unless he chooses to go to greener pastures. And that comes from an reliable source also.

Not saying that Boutte does not deserve it

The Mrs. AD says she and the AD (her husband) couldn't be happier with Roc and they really love his passion for Lamar.

I would not talk about the HC job opening at all, 1st because there is none, and 2nd because there hopefully won't be an opening for a long time.

Trust me, I don't think Billy would let him go.

Guest DickVitale

If you read my post I DID say he was happy with the job that he was currently doing, HOWEVER, some suggestions were not adhered to, and that happens, but when a proven former basketball coach is your AD, then I would be inclined to listen to good advice...Thats just me.  Yes, he is happy with him...now.

Actually, Lamar HAD to step up and give Roc a pay raise, or else he would be gone right now.  From what I heard, the new Marquette coach offered Roc the head asst. job and a big raise over what he was currently making at LU.  So make that 2 jobs (the other at Memphis) that Roc has turned down to stay at Lamar for less money.  Don't ever doubt Roc's loyalty to Lamar University. 

LU had the highest attendance in the conference this past year, and won a share of the conference title.  So yeah, Roc deserves to be the highest paid in the conference.  If anything, Billy T is probably a little jealous of what Roc has accomplished so quickly at Lamar (1st conference title in 24 yrs).  So if Tubbs is just OK with the job Roc has done, then thats an understatement.

Guest DickVitale

Nailed it! and I did not have to say a word! 8).....I thought for CERTAIN that he would jump on the Marquette job. What about Drake?..Hear anything about that? Roc LOVES Lamar, and loves Beaumont, I just know that he is ALWAYS looking to better himself..as anyone would. Billy T. appreciates the job that he is doing, but, he is doing it HIS way...I think that is where the issue is..

that sounds like billy tubbs has the problem then if he cant handle which way Rock does his job. To me it is Rocks team so billy just needs to do his job and be the ad. Not try and run the basketball team. Heck if i am Boutte i would think hard about going to lamar if that is the way tubbs is going to act.

Guest DickVitale

You are related to Boutte also? Just thought you worked for him. 

He's my brother in law. Married my sister. They started dating in 1982, and married in 86. They went to North Texas together, and he practically raised me in the summers when I was a kid. Yeah, and I worked for him too at Ozen.   ;)

Guest abovetherim

Actually, Lamar HAD to step up and give Roc a pay raise, or else he would be gone right now.  From what I heard, the new Marquette coach offered Roc the head asst. job and a big raise over what he was currently making at LU.  So make that 2 jobs (the other at Memphis) that Roc has turned down to stay at Lamar for less money.  Don't ever doubt Roc's loyalty to Lamar University. 

LU had the highest attendance in the conference this past year, and won a share of the conference title.  So yeah, Roc deserves to be the highest paid in the conference.  If anything, Billy T is probably a little jealous of what Roc has accomplished so quickly at Lamar (1st conference title in 24 yrs).  So if Tubbs is just OK with the job Roc has done, then thats an understatement.

Actually, it is three schools Coach Roc has said no to when there was a high paying assistant job. 1. Memphis. 2. Texas A&M 3. Marquette.

I'm not in the loop right now as I'm having some personal difficulties and would appreciate all your prayers.

Guest tigersvoice

Actually, it is three schools Coach Roc has said no to when there was a high paying assistant job. 1. Memphis. 2. Texas A&M 3. Marquette.

I'm not in the loop right now as I'm having some personal difficulties and would appreciate all your prayers.

You got 'em RIM.  Certainly wish you the best and hope that everything works out for you and the family soon.  We need you back.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami