Defense top priority for ‘Dogs, PN-G

Defense top priority for ‘Dogs, PN-G

HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

Let us mention some of the area's all-time greatest soccer coaches -- Jorge Lopez, Spikes Sturdivant, Phil Mattingly, Julie Johnson -- they all know what wins prestigious playoff games.

Rob Bledsoe and Aimee Bates belong right them in that regard even though they might be too modest to admit it. They know what wins, too.

Their teams enter the 4A area playoff round in a doubleheader tonight at Brenham's Rankin Park. The Port Neches-Groves girls meet Lindale at 6 p.m., followed by the Nederland boys against Lindale at 8 p.m.

The only way Aimee and Rob make the long three-hour ride back to Mid-County with wide smiles on their faces is if all of Lindale leaves Brenham without any goals.

Whether your name is Lopez, Johnson, Sturdivant, Mattingly, Bates or Bledsoe, the name of this game definitely is defense.

Shortly before kickoff on this night -- with winners advancing to the 4A regional quarter-final rounds -- the reminders of defense will be firmly re-emphasized. Never mind that Bledsoe holds Nederland's all-time single-game scoring record (seven goals) or single-season mark (46 goals). Never mind that part. Rob was becoming nervous on Monday because it's time for Nederland's defense to stand up and be counted.

That's exactly what Aimee's defense did last Thursday when PN-G eliminated Huntsville 1-0 in its 4A bidistrict victory. The Lady Indians will seek an instant replay of that defensive superiority again tonight.

Despite his record-setting high school scoring background, Bledsoe played sweeper -- a most prominent defensive outpost -- at Tyler Junior College. The Tyler squad was a Top 10 JUCO team. One of Bledsoe's teammates back then was Lindale boys head coach Jason Lawless. The two oppose each other for the first time tonight.

"Lindale has a set of twins that are very good," the NHS coach said, knowing a very limited amount about the Eagles. "They're pretty strong up the middle. Defense is all about commitment... integrity... focus.... discipline.

"I'd much rather win 1-0 than 5-4. If you play defense, you're going to be in every game. We kinda gritted out that win (a 3-1 shootout survival against Humble Kingwood Park) on Friday. There are areas where I would like to see us improve. Our touch has to be a lot better. We need to be able to settle the ball."

The Bulldogs had no need to make further lineup changes on Monday because they escaped Crosby's Cougar Stadium without a significant rash of new ones.

Nederland (17-4-2) has defended well this season. The Bulldogs have permitted more than one goal to only three opponents -- Lumberton, Houston Sharpstown and Kingwood Park.

Similar defensive strength can be publicized about the Lady Indians (17-5). Since the start of District 20-4A play on Jan. 15, PN-G's girls have surrendered more than one goal to two foes -- Lumberton on Jan. 22 and Nederland on Feb. 15. Here lately, the Bates' bunch has fashioned four straight shutouts and blanked six of its last seven opponents.

"Huntsville was a tough team," PN-G's coach said. "They had an opportunity to score last in the second half, but we did a good job on defense. We need to utilize the space better."

A big deal could be made of PN-G's struggles in previous area rounds since the girls program's inception in 2000, but this 2008 team can write its own history. This 2008 team is 1-0 in the playoffs.

Never mind that Bledsoe holds Nederland's all-time single-game scoring record (seven goals) ...

WOW!  This is soooo not true!  :P  It was 5, and three of them were PK's.  :-\

My thought was always "Take them however you can get them"... Whether by PK, in play, or Free Kick (which to this day the free kick I scored last year vs your Bulldogs is the greatest moment of my soccer career)... Sorry, I had to stick that in there  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086