Lady Cardinal lifters headed to state meet

Gabe

Lady Cardinal lifters headed to state meet

By Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — When the Bridge City Lady Cardinals’ powerlifting team walks into a competition they usually get some glances and weird looks thrown their way.

The young and usually undersized squad does not resemble what normal powerlifters would look like yet when the time comes to lift — all they have done is win this year.

The Lady Cardinals are now looking to win it all as they head to the state championship meet this Saturday in Killeen.

Five sophomores and one junior make up the team headed to the state meet and Coach Kevin Jones looked to another school squad for his team — cheerleaders.

The squad includes Ricci Shoemaker and Emily Blanchard in the 97-pound class, Taylor Daville in the 105-pound class, Alexa Richmond in the 114-pound class, Brittany Myers in the 132-pound class and Valerie Brown in the 181-pound class.

“It turns out cheerleaders are great for powerlifting,†Jones said. “They are flexible and have strong legs. They are also used to competition and are great competitors.â€

Heather Gisclair, a 2007 Bridge City graduate and cheerleader, got the ball rolling for Jones to recruit cheerleaders a year ago and now the Lady Cardinals are off and running.

“She (Gisclair) paved the way,†Jones said. “When I got here two years ago, there was only one girl in the program. This season we had 25 sign up. Now we all would be pretty upset if we did not win the whole thing.â€

Sophomore Valerie Brown is one of the Lady Cardinals who expects the Lady Cardinals to do well once they arrive at the state meet.

“This year we are confident and expect to bring it home,†Brown said. “We really recruited hard this year to build a strong team. A lot of girls think if you lift a bunch then you will be called manly. If you cheer and are strong that does not make you a man, it just makes you a stronger girl. I really love to be able to say our team is both pretty and strong.â€

Sophomore Alexa Richmond is in her first year with the powerlifting program and never expected the team or herself to be this successful so fast. She also said the Lady Cardinals are looked at different when they reach a meet.

“Nobody ever says anything but we do get some looks,†Richmond said. “I love to see bigger girls do the same or even less weight than I do at a meet. I never thought I would be able to do the things I have done. We really use teamwork. We push ourselves at practice and then just go out and do it.â€

Brittney Myers admitted she is a little nervous about the state meet this weekend.

“I’m nervous about state but I believe that I will win it,†Myers said. “It’s been awesome to see how many girls have come out this year. This year as a powerlifter, I believe that we will win state as a team. Its all been great. I’ve had a great season and had fun being with my team.â€

The team Bridge City will be gunning to be is Ingleside, who tied for first last season at state only to lose to San Diego in first place finishes which broke the tie.

“I am very, very proud of these girls,†Jones said. “They are seriously some of the hardest working athletes I have ever been around. They never complain and you can’t ever wear them down and now they expect to win.â€

Ricci Shoemaker has had a blast this season in powerlifting and is already looking for next year.

“It’s so much fun,†Shoemaker said. “I’m constantly talking about it and I’m already looking forward for next year since this season is almost over. I have already have encouraged other girls to try powerlifting. People always say ‘No, I’m not strong at all.’ But I didn’t think I was either, who would have thought that one of the littlest girls in the school could lift heavy weights.â€

Sophomore Taylor Daville knows a win at state would be the ultimate topping for a great season by the Lady Cardinals.

“We work at least three times a week and work very hard,†Daville said. “If we win state it would mean a lot to this team. It’s almost everyone’s first year so that would be a huge accomplishment. I am also very proud that our whole team except for two is headed to state.â€

Richmond said she is confident in her team and also complimented one other for the Lady Cardinals’ season.

“Coach Jones is awesome,†Richmond added. “He lifts us up when we feel we cannot do something. We would never been this far without him.â€

Brown and the Lady Cardinals leave early Friday morning and each of the Bridge City squad knows exactly what they all have to do to bring the title home.

“We have to pull three first places and then get all our points,†Brown said. “I am pretty confident we will be able to get it done. We have improved with each meet. I’m really excited.â€

CONGRATULATIONS LADY CARDINALS      

GOOD LUCK TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU.

RICCI, EMILY, ALEXA, TAYLOR, BRITTANY, AND VALERIE

WE ARE ALL SO PROUD OF YOU!!

DO YOUR BEST AND GO GET THEM AT STATE.

[move]GO BCHS LADY CARDINALS POWER LIFTERS[/move]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn