WHAT NOW LU BASKETBALL FANS?

Guest Ozen

Let's not all jump off the Roc bandwagon.  Let's look at where we have been in the last 20+ years and what Roc has done in the last two years.  In his second year he gets within one win of 20, one win from a conference championship, has two players first team all conference, and the newcomer of the year two years in a row.

I still see great things in the future for this Lamar program.  I am also tired of waiting - but the progress is most definitely there.

26 three pointers attempted and only 7 made.  cant win like that.  pretty good season but it could have ended better.  hopefully the coaches and players that are coming back next year will learn from all this.  gotta close the deal when destiny is in your hands.  i still think that coach roc is a good coach and i hope he stays at lamar for a while.

Guest DickVitale

Roc will right the ship...He has done a really good job, but it is going to take a little more time, unfortunately, and a few more top notch recruits...Roc will get it done.. ;)

I still see great things in the future for this Lamar program.  I am also tired of waiting - but the progress is most definitely there.

Agreed, the man has done more with the program than basically any guy has since foster (i'm too young but i hear that from people). And most of all, he loves Lamar so you know he loves his job and he wants to win bad, he will. He has LU basketball on the rise even with the loss today.

Guest abovetherim

I know a lot of people will disagree but that is what opinions are for. This is my opinion, Coach Roc needs to get Coach Boutte on staff. Either create another position or assist one of the assistant coaches in landing the LCS-PA gig. We have got Brandon Moton and Ashton Hall but there are several area athletes we aren't landing and I think Coach Boutte would have a major influence on them coming here. It will take a lot of money to get Coach Boutte from Ozen but I think $75,000-$100,000 will do the trick. I'm sure there will be several post which disagree. That is fine but to win and win consistently you have to spend money. College athletics is a business whether it is at Lamar University or a team in the Top 25 on a yearly basis.

As for as the game today, UTA just has better athletes plain and simple. Lamar was lucky to win the game in Beaumont. They have 4 guys that are monsters on the team. Crazy part for me is they will be a lot better next season as they got a transfer from Boston College who is a very good guard.

Coaching does a lot in preparing a team to play but once the game starts they majority of time it is the athletes or basketball players which ever term you prefer to use which determines who wins and who loses. Yes, there are in-game adjustments and adjustments at halftime but the players have to execute the game plan.

I think the coaching staff got a lot out of this roster. I just hope they can sign a big fellow to compete with the other teams in the SLC.

Mcneese taught the slc how to beat Lamar. SELA confirmed the finding. UTA ran the program.

I have been saying for the longest to add Boutte as an assistant. Coach Boutte is well respected through out

all of Texas. He could land recruits Roc can only dream about. If Boutte was on staff, Keller would have signed with LU.

The head coach probably is not making 100k here much less assistants.  The D1 game is much different than coaching at Ozen, no disrespect but it is kind of like everyone thinking that just because we have a good local player that coach Roc would be a fool not to recruit them.  You have to think outside of this area, it is the whole big fish little pond syndrome.  Coach Roc is an excellent coach, but he is limited as to what he can convince to come into Lamar.  Coach Roc was tauted at one of the best recruiters in the country so I think he is very capable in that department. 

Guest roberthollister

I'm not any basketball guru but does anyone believe that Lamar can become one of the top mid-majors in the country?  I mean, why has basketball been mediocre the last twenty-something years?  Theoretically, Lamar should win 20 games and go to the Big Dance every year.  It just ain't happenin' right now.....

Guest abovetherim

For the record, Coach Roc signed a three year contract when he replaced Coach Tubbs paying him over $100,000 annually. I'm sure there is a public record of it you can obtain if you are that interested. He is the highest paid Head Coach in the SLC.

I'm not any basketball guru but does anyone believe that Lamar can become one of the top mid-majors in the country?  I mean, why has basketball been mediocre the last twenty-something years?  Theoretically, Lamar should win 20 games and go to the Big Dance every year.  It just ain't happenin' right now.....

Yes, it can happen. Poor leadership is the reason behind a mediocre school and basketball for the past 20 years. Leadership who thought

dropping football was a briliant idea, leadership who thought taking Lamar out of a higher conference to play in the Southland was smart move.

The good news is Lamar is coming out of the cave of stupidity. This year at Lamar was better than last year, next year will be better than this one.

Very interesting UNLV. How much credit to you put on the coach that recruits the players for the team and the performance of the players that is coached by the same person that recruited them?

I was referring to the school as a whole, sports and academics.

Mcneese taught the slc how to beat Lamar. SELA confirmed the finding. UTA ran the program.

I have been saying for the longest to add Boutte as an assistant. Coach Boutte is well respected through out

all of Texas. He could land recruits Roc can only dream about. If Boutte was on staff, Keller would have signed with LU.

unlv even you dont believe that

Guest DickVitale

unlv even you dont believe that

I don't think that Boutte would be a better RECRUITER than Roc, BUT his name would definitely pull in some of the top area players...Keller would have DEFINITELY signed with Lamar for example...So would Jacoby (after JUCO) and possibly even Decarlos when he comes out..Opposing area players would follow as well..Kris Richards would not have left for Tulane either..The list goes on and on, but bottom line is that it would be a win/win for Roc.

Guest DickVitale

Would Boutte ever go to LU?

To be honest...I dont think he would go as an assistant (but who knows, money talks! ;) but, if Roc ever moved on to another job, and they offered, now that the boys (sons Andre Jr. and Anthony) are in college, I believe he would do it.  I think he is ready for another challenge.

Guest abovetherim

I was told by a person who knows HS basketball as well as anyone that the year Coach Roc hired Coach Skelton he met several times with Coach Boutte and the stumbling block was salary. If Coach Boutte is going to leave Ozen is will take "the salary Roc was making under Tubbs" is what I was told. Two weeks later they hired Coach Sketlon. Do I want to loose Coach Skelton? No. I think he and all the staff has done a wonderful job. There is a position on most college staffs already; director of basketball operations. Lamar could create this job place one of the current assistants there.

It would be one heck of a mid major basketball staff. I really don't care what some others might say. Coach Boutte can relate to some athletes better and Coach Roc others.

Like DickVitale stated, it would be a win-win situation. I just think money talks and he has nothing else to accomplish at Ozen or at the HS level. Pay your dues as a college assistant and one day be a college head coach.

No college will hire him straight from Ozen. At least, no college that could pay him the money he would want.

The bottom line is how bad does Lamar want to sellout the Montagne Center, win the SLC on a regular basis and become a mid major power? Like I stated before it will take money but if they are winning and getting the top local talent and of course talent around the state and country. They will not have to price tickets at $1 to get a great crowd.

Guest DickVitale

Was I the guy that you were talking to?  :D..That is exactly what happened and not very many people know about it either...Boutte was also offered the Prairie View job point blank a couple of years ago...The PV AD even asked MY dad to talk to him about coming to PV!! You are right about paying collegiate dues as an assistant..I think that it would be worth it for him to learn the business side of college basketball under Roc, then make a move to be a head coach after that...You are also right about him not having anything left to prove on the HS level...He kind of shys away from the college coaching conversation, but I do know that he has THOUGHT about it a lot lately...We will just have to wait and watch. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder