*Lamar vs. Nicholls/72-68 LU WINS IN OT*

Guest abovetherim

Hope Matt Barrown is okay. Good to win these "ugly games" which LU won't have the past few years especially away from the Montagne Center. Now, let's get 8,000 to the game Saturday to cheer the Cards to victory past SE Louisiana.

Guest abovetherim

lu cards, I totally agree there. The support would be tremendous if LU was 17-3. We have some very good seniors but I believe if Coach Roc can sign a local product from PA currently playing JuCo ball not far from here we wouldn't feel the loss of Lamar Sanders as bad as we will is Coach Roc can't sign this guy or someone with similar talent. Justin Nabors is good as is Tristan Worrell and Jay Brown but IMO they aren't the "heart and soul" of the team like LS is.

Heck, to be honest I haven't seen a player with the heart of LS in a Cardinal uniform in a long time. I'm not sure we can replace him with one guy but there will be a void next year if Coach Roc doesn't land a big-time talent to play the PF position.

Lamar Escapes Nicholls With 72-68 Overtime Win

Dawkins leads with 20 points and five 3-pointers

THIBODAUX, La. - Kenny Dawkins scored a team-high 20 points and Lamar scored all of its points in overtime from the free throw line to escape Nicholls State with a 72-68 overtime win at Stopher Gym on Thursday night.

Lamar (12-8, 6-1 Southland) made 11-of-14 in the extra session and 21-of-35 for the game in winning its school-record third overtime game of the season. The Cardinals also overcame a tough night shooting - finishing with 39 percent - and 20 turnovers. They did control the glass to the tune of 46-37.

Dawkins made five of Lamar's nine 3-pointers. Lamar Sanders added 14 on 5-of-8 shooting, seven rebounds and three blocks. Darren Hopkins and Justin Nabors each finished with 10 rebounds and eight points.

Nicholls (6-17, 1-7) was led by Ryan Bathie's 22 points on 8-of-21, including five 3-pointers.

The first half saw each team struggle to take care of the ball as 23 turnovers were committed. Lamar took its largest lead of the half at 19-11 with 11:24 to play as two Justin Nabors free throws capped an 8-0 run that saw Dawkins and Currye Todd drain 3-pointers on consecutive possessions.

Nicholls slowly clawed back and cut the deficit to 24-23 with just under four minutes to play before eventually closing the half on a mini 5-1 run that gave the Cardinals a 29-28 lead going in to the break.

Lamar shot 39 percent and Nicholls was just a hair better at 40 percent. The biggest blow for the Cardinals came with 4:16 on the clock when Matthew Barrow left the game with a right knee injury after being fouled by NSU's Dominic Friend on a fast-break opportunity. Barrow, a senior from nearby Baton Rouge, La., landed hard on his right side and had to be helped off the floor.

The teams traded baskets to open the second period before Nicholls took its first lead since early in the first half as Bathie converted a steal and fast-break layup to give the Colonels a 44-43 lead with 10:44 to play. Lamar answered with a 7-0 run that saw consecutive 3-pointers from McThay and Dawkins before a free throw by Sanders.

Nicholls again came back to tie the game at 50 with 5:26 remaining. With the score again tied at 55, Lamar got a pair of layups and free throws from Sanders to extend their lead to 61-55. The Colonels cut it to three on three free throws by Anatoly Bose and then tied it at 61 with 41.6 seconds left on a three from Bose in the corner. That was the way it stood going into overtime.

Nicholls held its last lead at 66-65 with 3:04 left on an Anatoly Bose jumper. Lamar scored the next three points on free throws by Brandon McThay and Hopkins. With the Cardinals holding a 68-67 lead with 23 seconds left, Dawkins made a huge steal of an inbounds play and was sent to the free throw line where he made both to extend the lead to 70-67. Bathie made one free throw before McThay iced the game with two of his own. He finished with nine points, including 6-of-6 from the charity stripe.

Lamar will return home to face Southeastern Louisiana (13-8, 5-3) on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at the Montagne Center. The first 1000 fans in the door will receive a megaphone courtesy of Raymond James Financial Services, Inc., Ron Legnion, Financial Advisor and Cavett, Turner and Wyble L.L.P. CPA

Great win for the guys.  I like Coach Roc's quote in the Enterprise..."Our Effort was Good.  Our offensive execution sucked"  ;D  "Let's do whatever it takes to get on that bus with a win"  I'm really starting to like this guy more and more.  Now lets keep up the intensity this weekend and hope Matt Barrow is ok.

lu cards, I totally agree there. The support would be tremendous if LU was 17-3. We have some very good seniors but I believe if Coach Roc can sign a local product from PA currently playing JuCo ball not far from here we wouldn't feel the loss of Lamar Sanders as bad as we will is Coach Roc can't sign this guy or someone with similar talent. Justin Nabors is good as is Tristan Worrell and Jay Brown but IMO they aren't the "heart and soul" of the team like LS is.

Heck, to be honest I haven't seen a player with the heart of LS in a Cardinal uniform in a long time. I'm not sure we can replace him with one guy but there will be a void next year if Coach Roc doesn't land a big-time talent to play the PF position.

I think that you are correct about Sanders having a lot of heart. But, I think Justin Nabors has just as much heart. He will be a treat to watch next season. I think he will remind us all of LS.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124