PN-G's Broussard makes big impact, sparks secondary

www.panews.com

PN-G's Broussard makes big impact, sparks secondary

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES -- As the words go in the Dukes of Hazard theme song . . . He's just a good ol' boy, never meaning no harm.... been in trouble with the law (in this case the officials) since the day... That's all Jacob Broussard has meant to be, just a good ol' boy.

Then the 18-year-old Port Neches-Groves senior puts on that purple and white football gear and he seems to surround himself with a different air about him.

A sports writer for PN-G's student newspaper, the Pow Wow, this Indians cornerback may want to write a first-person column one of these days and explain some of his aggressive actions on a football field.

Let's just say for now that Jacob tries to play the game right. And he tries to practice it right. And he just has a tendency to get excited. We all can have trouble with our adrenaline glands on occasion and sometimes we get too wound up.

If Mid-County football fans tune into the Port Arthur News Friday Night Experience tonight on Cable 18 at 7 p.m., they need to stick around for the fourth quarter. That's when Jacob became involved in plays which led to numerous refinery discussions, chat-room debates and arguments from both sides of Twin City Highway's train tracks.

The Indians were getting the upper hand and were seeking the knock-out punch after six losses in the previous seven years to Nederland. Times had turned a bit too Black and Old Gold for coach Matt Burnett's senior-laden Tribe.

It was almost as if the Indians and their fans were ready to explode in celebration, as Broussard put the pads on Nederland receiver Ryan Brady near the Bulldogs sideline with his team in control of the game. Now let's have Jacob describe what took place.

"I hit him on their sideline and I got up and I didn't mean anything by it, but I was pumped up and I just went ''woo''," Broussard said he gestured.

Next thing the 5-10, 150-pound Jacob knew, the officials gave PN-G a 15-yard penalty for naughty behavior. Broussard never thought any penalty should have been assessed.

Anyway, the Indians did a lot more celebrating after that moment, while the penalty seemed to turn Broussard into a "Superman" of sorts. Jacob became more powerful than a locomotive. He began leaping tall buildings in a single bound. He was everywhere.

"It was a bad call," he said. "I wasn't taunting.... I just did this. That's it and they threw a flag on me. And I was like, "Are you serious?... Are You Serious?"

The fun had only begun. The celebration was uncorked in PN-G's 28-16 victory after that. Nederland went back to Brady again on the next play, a slant route. Brady caught the pass and Broussard made bone-jarring contact before any one at Billy Joe's Bar-B-Q could say "pickles."

Later in the drive, Nederland QB Kirby Bellow threw at him again, and it was one time too many. Jacob came away with the football, one of his three take-a-ways on the night. He’d made his point and redeemed himself for the penalty, whether it was deserved or not.

"Jacob is highly competitive, like so many of these seniors are," PN-G's head coach said of Broussard. "He gets pretty excited at practice too. He gets pretty animated and he carries it into a game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124