Cardinal CC teams shine in elite McNeil Invitational

Cardinal CC teams shine in elite McNeil Invitational

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ROUND ROCK — The Bridge City Cardinals got a taste of the State Cross Country course in the McNeil Invitational Saturday and had a great deal of success.

The Cardinal boys, led by senior standout Ryan Kelly’s fourth-place finish, placed seventh out of 30 teams and the Lady Cardinals claimed 15th in a field of 34 squads. More than 300 runners participated in each race.

Kelly powered the Cardinal unit, placing fourth with a solid time of 17:18 on the hilly three-mile course.

“It’s always awesome to run the course,†Kelly said. “There wasn’t a breeze around, so it was warm. I felt really good today and the way the team finished against teams in our region, it really gives us a lot of confidence but there still is a lot of work ahead for us with district and regionals right around the corner.â€

Kelly was followed by teammates Tim Cude (18:35), Kirby Sheppard (19:00), Brandon Simoneaux (19:26), Sawyer Hogan (19:39), Armando Chavez (19:45), Hunter Stevens (20:39), Mark Virva (20:47), Jacob Worthington (22:31), Josh Blakeney (24:14) and Brian Godwin (25:09).

“I can honestly say that this is the proudest I’ve been of this team in the two seasons I’ve been the head coach,†said Cardinal coach Cody Knight. “This is such a quality place to run and he just makes the guys that much more hungrier to get back here in November. Our times were really good and we competed well against the few teams that are in our region. I think this gives the kids a whole new bundle of confidence.â€

On the girls side, freshman Mary Nguyen ran a 13:30 over two-mile terrain. She was followed by teammates Jessica Franklin (14:19), Shae Garriga (14:28), Melissa Pittman (14:44), Lisa Huyhn (14:50), Ariel Chesson (15:19), Faith Rowe (15:34) and Kim Truong (18:22).

“I’m so happy for our girls,†said Knight. “They’re still young, so this was quite an experience for them. To finish in the top half of the standings, that’s an amazing job.â€

In the 4A/5A division Barbers Hill Girls finished 12th (1st in 4A, I believe) with an average time of 13:21.  Samantha Rhodes led the way with a time of 12:55 (44th place).  She was followed by Catherine Reuter (13:03), Shannon Mudd (13:22), Larissa Rios (13:33) and MacKenzie Daniels (13:52).  Overall 7 of the BH girls finished with a time of 14 minutes or better. 

On the boys side, Jess Williams led BH with a time of 18:12, followed by Tim Ramsey (18:21), Sean Evans (19:20), Nathan Doisy (20:00) and Jarrett Cobb 20:08)

and after seeing Ryan Kelly's time...I'm wondering if I can do a mile and half at that time.  (okay, maybe a mile).

*These times are off of http://tx.milesplit.us/meets/25462

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont