Aluminum Bats banned in NY

i would guess injuries.  there are some very hot bats out there right now.  the ball really explodes off the bat.  I know in softball I have seen A LOT of pitchers and 3rd baseman with injuries because of the hot bats.  ball gets there so fast there is no time to react.  sadly, I have seen some serious facial injuries from this.  everything from a few stitches on the eyebrow to a broken nose and crushed cheek bone.  I support this change personally if for nothing more than a safety stand point.

I have never seen a wooden softball bat. That pretty cool.

neither have I.  i support the change in baseball.  it hasn't been brought up in softball.  a lot of the bats in softball have been banned because they are too hot.  as close as softball is there need to be some action taken for safety.  from what I have heard....there may be a rule soon requiring pitcher, 1st, and 3rd to wear the "game face" face shields in ASA.  I think all affiliations should follow.  there is nothing soft about fastpitch softball.  It is actually kinda humorous to watch some of the really talented baseball players try to hit off a good fastpitch softball pitcher

All baseball bats on the market right now are not near as "hot"  as the bats were before they started the BESR cert on the bats.  This is Ball Exit Speed Ratio.  The ball can only come off the bat so fast for a given bat speed.  They have toned the bats down some with this.  I played before and after they started requiring that.  Also the -3 length to weight ratio helped alot.  Also a well hit ball with an aluminum bat and a well hit ball with a wooden bat do not differ that much the big difference is the size of the sweet spot balls that would drop in with a metal bat are easy plays for infielders with wooden bats.

I think the big problem would be the move would cost bat companies a fortune.

Bats are now selling for around 300 dollars you can buy 6 very good wooden bats for that price and there are many you could buy cheaper than 50$ a piece.  While the wood ones will break the average player will not go through 6 a season.

Personally I would like the move but not for the safety reasons I dont think it would be that much safer if a ball hits you in the face going 100 mph instead of 120mph.  From my personal experience I think you have to be a better hitter to play well with a wooden bat due to the smaller sweet spot.

if you have ever seen a game with wood bats it is totally different.

woodville hosted a h.s. wood bat tournament last year. outfielders can play a lot closer in. i say it means 30 to  40% less hits !

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder