offshore report

well a buddy called me up last week and said he had an open spot on the capt. john paid for so it would be a free trip for me, so not wanting to pass on the free trip i went.  It was a good time hanging out with buddy's and not having to worry about all the preperations and clean up of the boat, but i don't think i'll ever go on a party boat again. Unless it is free at least.  Not much for being restricted to just bottom fishing and being on the boat with 86 other people.   

now for the report........we hit 4 wrecks and 2 rigs.  i know the 2 wrecks that really produced were the newest sunken rigs that TPWD sunk. I havn't looked at the map yet to see were they are. I think we headed due south maybe slightly south east from galveston jetties.  as for my group we left the spade fish alone and kept to the deep drops, ended up with 9 snapper 18-23 inches  3 b-liners and 6 lane snapper. They used bait i stuck to the butterfly jigs.  I had one good run at the first rig we stopped at i think it was either an AJ or Ling. I fought him for 20 minutes and then lost tension and he somehow spit the hooks. That was a first....gamagatsu hooks usually stick. 

I've been trying to plan a trip out with some guys on the century but everytime it looks like the weather will pan out it doesn't.  I haven't even looked at the weather for this week i figured that hurricane would be pushing swells our way. i remeber a couple years ago we had a hurricane or tropical storm send some swells at us but they were 10 ft ground rollers spread out at like 25 seconds it was similar to the pacific. made for a decent day because it appeared smooth with no wind waves, had a lot people sick though.  you could feel the rise and fall but not see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back Tuesday night from a charter with Charlie Hardison. The weather was great. The moon was full and we still caught alot of fish. We were down from years past but not by too much. The yellow fin were hitting pretty good as were the black fin. We did have a problem with cuda and or sharks. It seemed to be with only the black fin though. I think we only had about 2 foot seas and we were 100 miles out.

you go out of freeport or venice?  I guess here local 100 miles is a long run for venice.  Glad to hear someone has some sashimi on the plate, I'M CRAVIN'.........Were ya'll at Gunnison, Boomvang, Transocean Amirante, Nansen????   All chunkin or any on poppers? anyone using butterfly jigs? 

We go out of Fourchon, La. we caught the yellow fin on poppers and the black fin on diamond jigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Planned a deep trip out of Freeport Monday and due to potential bad weather we opted for bay fishing.  Left Texas City Dike and hit Hannas reef for a few reds and trout.  Left Hannas went through Intercoastal over to Galveston.  Picked up two really BIG Tripletail under floating grass at the end of the Jetties.  Hit a floating can 1-mile out of Galveston (my lucky Ling spot) and caught 3 ling biggest 45 lbs. 

Did I mention we were bay fishing?  Yes, we had NO GAF, and the best reel was a curado on a trout rod.  Took over an hour to land the 45 lb ling and had to run my hands in his gills to toss him in the boat.  A real FISHING RODEO if you've never done that.  ;D ;D

All in all: 4 trout, 3 reds, 2 triple-tail, 3 ling.  30 gallons of fuel.... ;D ;D

By the way, if you fish the Galveston Jetties and want to catch a ling PM me and I'll tell you how to find my lucky can.

FREE GAFFING A LING WITH NO GAFF AND HOOKS IN HIS MOUTH.......YOUR BRAVER THAN ME BUDDY........  I've seen a 60lbr freegaffed bust the sides out of a sea chest with someone sitting on top of it.  I think i'd of found a way to tail rope him or something.......You may have found the next invention in grabblin sports (noodlin') whatever it's called. Crazy people grabbing catfish by the mouth.

FREE GAFFING A LING WITH NO GAFF AND HOOKS IN HIS MOUTH.......YOUR BRAVER THAN ME BUDDY........  I've seen a 60lbr freegaffed bust the sides out of a sea chest with someone sitting on top of it.  I think i'd of found a way to tail rope him or something.......You may have found the next invention in grabblin sports (noodlin') whatever it's called. Crazy people grabbing catfish by the mouth.

Yeah, not the smartest move ever.  Took a while to get the fish tired enouhg to get a hold.

Yesterday went out of Galveston after doing a quick bottom job on the boat.  Picked up 4 knots...YEAH!!!!

Report: 9/16/07

My lucky can was sitting in 4 footers and the current was ripping.  No Ling yesterday.  We hit several standpipes and a few rigs looking, but no brown fish swiming around.  Slid over to Candycane rigs and picked up 4 limit of snapper on two different rigs.  Had one blacktip about 5 foot.  Only fished a few hours due to the late start after the bottom job.

Coast Guard boarded us in the pitch black dark and stayed on board for 1-1/2 hours.  No fines or tickets.  They thought our running lights were out.......GEEZ!  Very late getting home.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124