Small schools coaches

CATMAN

Guest DickVitale

Sure they can.  They just have to adjust to the new sets of big school issues, as well as some of the advantages of big school coaching.  Some would do well, others may not, but it can be done. 

Two of our former coaches have coached at the college level.  Leland Hand (ETBU) and David Mckee (Lamar).  A good coach is a good coach at any level.  As previously stated there are some differences but a knowledgeable coach who will work hard can adjust and be successful anywhere.

In many cases I feel small school coaches are more versed and perhaps more qualified than given credit. The last job I was the head coach of all sports. This included JH & HS Girls & Boys cross country, basketball, track & field & yes baseball and drove a full bus route. More importantly, I became well versed in administrative duties and task. I am at a much larger school and its so funny, I am not accustomed to do so little. There are many good coaches at the lower levels and the aforementioned men could coach anywhere and do a fantastic job!

I think Foster at bs is the best of the 3 he does not have the boys 2 pick from like the  other school have,but year after year,bs is in the hunt.for the playoff.

I would have to disagree with that.Foster is a fine coach but he also doesn't have to contend with the football program or nearly as many good programs in his district year in and year out.I can't remember the last time Sutherland or Joubert were not in the playoff hunt.All 3 are very good coaches (Hargraves-E/C and Carter -Warren aren't bad either) ;) ;) ;)

Carter won most of his more than 500 wins at 1A Brookland and 1A Spurger. Remember when BS couldn't get past them in the playoffs. Like Foster, Carter had the advantage of no football to consume all the time and money.  No disrespect to Foster,  I think he is an excellent coach and could coach at most any level. I am a BS fan as well.  But, he is not yet in the Sutherland, Carter and Joubert class.  He will get there I'm sure, just not yet.  How many wins and rings does he have?

WARFAN---------I look in BOB SPRIGER texas basketball magazine on coaching records, for 2006-2007--------i did not see the kountze hardin jefferson coach on the list its on page 6-7----foster was, you are right he has no ring yet.

No disrespect to Coach Foster ,his record is very commendable,however your records aren't posted in the TBM if you don't submit them.I honestly don't know what Duane and Todd's records are,heck they may not even know.I do know they are 2 of the best in SETexas and if you looked at percentages they would be at the top of the hill.Foster had 239 wins according to TBM which is great.Carter from Warren surpassed 500 at the Evadale tourney this past season which is also great.We are lucky in SETexas to have such a good group of coaches as witnessed by the teams at the Drum every year.Nothing wrong with promoting your coach,but better than these others I can't agree with that.

Guest orangeman

Hello Southeast Texas. I'm finally settled in Belton, but it's good to get back on the site and catch up. What a world of difference there is between 1A & 5A. Anyways... having had the pleasure of knowing all, and coaching against most of the coaches listed on this thread (Sutherland, Joubert, Foster, Hargraves, Carter), a father couldn't go wrong by having his son play for any of these outstanding coaches. Every single one would be equally qualified to teach a young man the game of basketball. However, if you want to factor in being taught the life lessons that can go along with being taught basketball, then I'm sending my son to Coach Foster. And believe me when I say that is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the other coaches I have mentioned. I have a healthy relationship with each one of them, and even greater respect for them as people and coaches as well. It is meant soley as a compliment to Coach Foster.

Guest orangeman

Thanks for asking. Things are going very well. Just adjusting to 5A life. 1A and 5A are polar opposites. Instead of coaches striping the football field yourselves late after a Wednesday evening practice, it's brand new field turf. I've been working with the freshman football team during two-a-days. Instead of 5 freshman football players, our count was 106. Instead of 7 coaches doing EVERYTHING, it's about 30 coaches all coaching a very specific position on one side of the ball. I could go on. Anyways, a part of my heart, and some of my favorite people, are still in West Hardin and I'll be pulling for them hard this year. Oiler Pride!

Guest orangeman

You mean you've been here, and you choose to live there ;) Just kidding. It is beautiful though. I'll keep in touch. I need to call it a night. 5:30 will be here shortly.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124