Lady Bobcats down Deweyville in volleyball opener

Lady Bobcats down Deweyville in volleyball opener

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — The Orangefield Lady Bobcats made Coach Linda Riddick’s debut a successful one with a three-game sweep of the Deweyville Lady Pirates.

Orangefield showed Monday the reasons why fans are eager to see the Lady Bobcats push for a playoff spot in District 21-3A after a 25-15, 25-18, 25-18 victory.

Senior Laura Riddick led the way with 13 kills, three assists and five aces while fellow senior Kaylin “KK†Little was busy dishing out 17 assists and serving up five aces.

It took a little while for the Lady Bobcats (1-0) to get out of the blocks but once they did there was a lot Coach Riddick was excited about.

“We were still a little rusty but I was pleased with the match,†Riddick said. “They were in every play and that is exactly what we have talked about. There was a ton of hustle.â€

In the first game with the score tied at 10, Little got the Lady Bobcats going while serving with two aces and two assists to Riddick.

Aimee Scales, who finished with four kills and three assists, then hit for four straight service points to give Orangefield a 19-11 lead.

Scales was there to finish off the first game with a kill giving OF a 25-15 win.

Deweyville jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the second game but two straight aces from Orangefield’s Jessica Maass tied the score up. Maass also finished with five aces.

Orangefield took the lead for good at 16-14 when Little set Riddick up again for a kill.

The Lady Bobcats took control of Game 3 after Deweyville took a 6-4 lead.

A Deweyville serve when out of bounds to pull Orangefield within 6-5 and a Allie Beach kill quickly tied the score.

Laura Riddick went on a five-straight service point roll which included three straight aces to put OF up 10-6.

Deweyville got to within 22-15 with Amanda Vincent serving but Orangefield’s Olivia Wagner ended the match a few minutes later with a kill.

“The girls were making something happen on every play,†Linda Riddick said. “We were all talking and when someone called for help, several girls ran to get into position.â€

The Lady Bobcats will take part in the Vidor Tournament Thursday through Saturday and will also play host to Buna on Friday.

I thought the girls looked good for it being the first game.  I think they might surprise some teams in this district.  They hustle to every ball and played tonight as a team.  Congrats to Coach Riddick and her staff.  Good Job!!

Good seeing you tonight Gabe.  I've got that Spurs shirts ready!! ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124