Demons first game in Orange could be their last

Demons first game in Orange could be their last

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

The debut game of the Southeast Texas Demons could be the last game the team plays at West Orange-Stark Middle School.

Demons’ head coach and co-owner Chip Pierce said West Orange-Stark Athletics Director Dan Hooks informed him Thursday the squad was no longer welcome to play home games at WO-S Middle School.

“Liquor bottles were found in the opposing team’s locker room,†Pierce said. “Dan Hooks called and there was no talking. He said it was against state law and pretty much hung up.â€

WO-C CISD Superintendent Dr. O. Taylor Collins said he will talk to Pierce today to see if the Demons will have another shot at cleaning up the problem.

“We were very excited to have them use the field at the middle school,†Collins said. “After the game a custodian said they found beer and alcohol bottles in the dressing rooms, under the stands and on the sidelines. This is the people’s property and we will not allow this to happen. We may give them another shot but they have to show valid insurance and beefed up security. We just can’t allow those things to happen where kids are everyday.â€

The Demons debuted Saturday against the Lake Charles, La. Riverkats. Pierce said he informed the Southern American Football League commissioner of the liquor bottles.

“How are we responsible,†Pierce asked. “We had security here. I can’t pat down everybody. So I called LC-M and they said the name Demons did not fit their Christian community. Orange had a good thing and now we have to move it already.â€

The coach said he will invite talking to Collins but will still search for another field in case the team is told to no longer use WO-S Middle School.

Pierce said his physical trainer worked with doctors in Nederland and they are looking to possibly move into that community. Port Neches-Groves is also a possibility.

Another problem Pierce was told about the Demons playing at the middle school was the size of the crowd.

“I was told the trash was too much,†Pierce added. “We have to get a field locked down soon to have a week to prepare for our game in two weeks. It is a blow, especially on such short notice. They could have called on Monday. I can’t control everybody that comes here. We are going to at least try to continue to practice here in Orange.â€

Collins said as much as he loves football and the possibility of the Demons becoming a mainstay in Orange, his first obligation is to the kids who patrol the grounds.

“I don’t want that on the field,†Collins added. “It is as simple as that. You cannot bring alcohol onto school grounds. I want to help them out but this has to get better. We cannot put the district at risk no matter how much we want them to play here.â€

Pierce is also still wanting the great support the Orange community gave the Demons in the debut game. Several hundred fans were in attendance at the game.

The Demons travel to Houston Saturday to face the Texas Blackout before returning to Southeast Texas to play host to the Lafayette, La. Bayou Bulls.

Lets not trash the team just yet guys. The real thing is to hope the problem gets solved and this team goes on to make SE Texas proud. I have talked to Coach Pierce three times now and I can tell he really wants to succeed in this area. I hope this setback is just a lil bump in the road and the team is around for many years. It gives us some football to watch and guys another chance to play and possibly get an opportunity at moving on higher up the ladder.

I'm afraid they may have a hard time finding another place to play.  Most fields are at schools or school property.  Maybe they could work a deal with Lamar.  If I recall correctly they used to serve beer at games (yes, I can remember that far back and attended a few games).  And other than HS there are no games being played there.

I went and watched the Demons play against the Riverkats last week.

Seemed like a fight would occur every other 10 minutes.

I didn't see beer bottles much, but i did see beer in those little clear cups.

I figured they were serving it at the consession stand but obviously not.

The game overall was O.K. , but they obviously need to stop allowing this beer and stuff get in.

Guest 87CRU79

It's weird!!! I tried to get in with a water jug, such as one you would give to your kid for practice. They wouldnt event let me bring that in. But from what I have heard, it was the Lake Charles team that left the alcohal in the locker room. I guess they should have at least skimmed the room after they had left.

Chip Pierce doesn’t sound very professional.  He needs to take some PR lessons before he talks to the media again.

I agree. It appears that he takes no responsibility for anything. He says he can't control the trash or control all of the people that come in the gate. It wouldn't take long to make people open a bag to check it. Thanks Coach Hooks for making someone take responsibility.

Yeah, if you are using the field, you're responsible for the trash, the crowds and any damages that occur. "We had security." Uh, well, not very good security, apparently. I like that he's offended about Hooks "pretty much hanging up." If someone used my house for a function over a weekend and I came back to find it trashed, I'd call them and say, "Don't ever come over to my &$%& house again." Then I'd hang up. It's like he was expecting some sort of discussion.

“How are we responsible,†Pierce asked. “We had security here. I can’t pat down everybody. So I called LC-M and they said the name Demons did not fit their Christian community. Orange had a good thing and now we have to move it already.â€

I can understand that LC-M may not want the Demons at their facilities, perhaps for the same reasons WO-S doesn't---drinking, trash, etc.  However, to say the name "Demons" doesn't fit with their Christian community is a little farfetched.  LC-M is a public school as is WO-S.  I wonder if the Wahington Redskins would be able to play there and how in the world do they allow the PN-G Indians there. I think they should change their name to the PN-G Native Americans and until they do they shouldn't be allowed to play at LC-M.

I'm just having a little fun this morning so no one get their blood pressure up. It's Friday, have a great day!

Guest 87CRU79

I just don't see how it is Chip's responsibility when he is the head coach of the team. How is he supposed to manage a game, and make sure no one is smuggling in alcohol at the same time.

Plus, the drinking that was taking place was on the opposite side of where the stands are. People were parked on the visiting side, and didn't have to pay or be searched by the police. It was the Lake Charles fans and players that were responsible for drinking.

He has to be ultimately responsible. If not him directly then he has to put someone in a position to be responsible. Put up baracades and make everyone come in the gate where the stands are. It really isn't that hard. If he owns the team or coaches the team it would seem that this would be a simple problem to solve. He must have some problem solving skills. Are you saying he is only responsible for the people that are fans of his team?

I just don't see how it is Chip's responsibility when he is the head coach of the team. How is he supposed to manage a game, and make sure no one is smuggling in alcohol at the same time.

Plus, the drinking that was taking place was on the opposite side of where the stands are. People were parked on the visiting side, and didn't have to pay or be searched by the police. It was the Lake Charles fans and players that were responsible for drinking.

Who do you think should have been responsible?

I see it like this If he were just the coach, then fine not all of the responsibility should be placed on him......he is responsible for his team and getting a W.......but it says he is part owner......where is, or are the other owners??  Also this puts responsibility in his hands.........Preparation, preparation, preparation......apparently Pierce is learning it takes a little more to just get two teams on the field and play a football game.....there are more concerns that need to be taken care of......Fans, what they can and can't have, better security (it said they had it but how where they instructed to handle the home side and visiting side).....from what I've read something was missing??  

All of these things should have been discussed and handles long before any football games where to be played........this is an organization problem that is going to continue until they can show (whom ever let's them play) all i's and t's have been dotted and crossed.

The LC-M thing was, more than likely, an excuse to add to the reputation of the team (organization as a whole).......Your reputation will always provide you.....hard to fix but could be done......Seems he needs more hands

last, standing O for coach Hooks!!!

Guest EagleFan01

Yall have no idea what is going on do yall? Pierce not just security at the game they were from the Orange PD. The side that the drinking was going on at was the side next to the school and that was the Lake Charles side and there was a cop on that side but he wasn't doing his job..... So before you jump all down the demons throat and take them out to the wood shed get the whole story plz.... The commisioner of the SAFL was contacted in regards to the problem and he is looking into it.... He is also the owner of the Lake Charles team.....If anyone is responsible it is the coaching staff of the Riverkats who let there players drink beer on the school property. Pierce has so much stuff going on during the game that is why he hired to PD to take care of the legal stuff but apperantly they didn't do what they were hired for. So lets not take it out on the Demons organization.....

Guest EagleFan01

He did do that!!!! That is why he hired the security that is what they get payed for to make sure noone gets in with the things that are not supposed to have!!!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476