A&M's Carter picked for Pan Am Games roster

A&M's Carter picked for Pan Am Games roster

Texas A&M guard Josh Carter was selected Sunday as a finalist for the 2007 USA Pan American Games men's basketball team.

Carter, who earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors as a sophomore last season after leading the nation in 3-point shooting, was one of 14 players picked.

He is the first A&M men's basketball player to participate in the Pan American Games.

Joining Carter on the roster are Joey Dorsey (Memphis), Wayne Ellington (North Carolina), Shan Foster (Vanderbilt), James Gist (Maryland), Roy Hibbert (Georgetown), Maarty Leunen (Oregon), Derrick Low (Washington State), Eric Maynor (Virginia Commonwealth), Drew Neitzel (Michigan State), Scottie Reynolds (Villanova), Bryce Taylor (Oregon), Kyle Weaver (Washington State) and D.J. White (Indiana).

The final roster will be trimmed to 12 before games begin July 25.

"This was definitely the most difficult choice we've ever had to make, but I just love this group," USA and Villavova Head Coach Jay Wright said in a release. "I think we have great options. We've got shooters, we've got penetrators, we've got size, we've got post people. It's just a really diverse group that has great personality and I think the committee did a great job of putting together a really strong team."

USA Basketball conducted five trial sessions last week at Haverford (Pa.) College and a committee, which included Syracuse's Jim Boeheim, Oregon's Ernie Kent, Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Kansas' Bill Self, selected the roster.

The squad will compete in the 2007 Pan American Games July 25-29 in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.

The United States has been placed in preliminary round Group A along with Argentina, Panama and Uruguay. Group B consists of Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The U.S. opens preliminary play July 25 against Uruguay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83