Wildcatters sign Brandon Benedict for 2007-08

http://www.texaswildcattersfanclub.com/BrandonBenedict.htm

BEAUMONT, TX - Texas Wildcatters Head Coach and V.P. of Hockey Operations Malcolm Cameron announced Thursday that the team has signed forward Brandon Benedict for the 2007-08 season.

Benedict, 25, is a recent graduate of Acadia University in Nova Scotia. Over four seasons with the Axemen, Benedict registered 117 points in 99 games and was captain in 2006-07.

Known for leadership, puck skills and playmaking ability, the Avondale, NS native also held the captainship for Team Canada at the 2007 World University Games in Turin, Italy, leading the team to its first gold medal in the international competition since 1991.

"Brandon has tremendous skills and a great passion for the game," said Cameron, "He makes every player around him better through his ability and leadership by example. He is all about hard work, tradition and pride for the game of hockey and that is just the type of player we are looking for."

Cameron, also a Nova Scotia native and Acadia alum, has known Benedict for nearly ten years. He watched as Benedict became a household name in Halifax, starring for the Mooseheads of the QMJHL from 1998-2003. "As long as I have known him it has always been about offensive production, hard work, and leadership."

Benedict accumulated 303 points in 343 games during five seasons with the Mooseheads. He was on the 1999-2000 Memorial Cup championship team and captained the group in 2002-03 as the team collected 101 standings points, the highest in their history.

The 5-9, 175 lb. lefty, who Cameron compared to Wildcatters 2006-07 captain Brandin Cote, is excited about beginning his pro career in Texas for a coach he knows. "I'm going to work hard and help the team however I can," said Benedict. "It's good to come to a place where you are familiar with the coach and can put a face to a name. I'm looking forward to winning some games this season with the Wildcatters."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124