Titans sign with Paul Quinn College

Titans sign with Paul Quinn College

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

Memorial senior baseball players Cullen Griffin and Patrick Jackson signed letters of intent Tuesday to continue their athletic careers at Paul Quinn College in Dallas.

Griffin, the Titans’ catcher and son of Greg and Carkenda Griffin, had been pondering an offer from a small school in Oklahoma City.

“Paul Quinn is offering 100 percent (scholarship), but it wasn’t all the money,†Griffin said. “Dallas is closer to my home, so it was a better decision for me.â€

A three-year starter at catcher for Memorial, Griffin batted .385 as a senior and he threw out 28 runners, either by picking them off or catching them stealing.

Jackson, a two-year starter and the son of Steven and Cindy Jackson, pitched and played shortstop as a senior, batting .313 and compiling a 5.44 earned run average.

“Cullen and Patrick were really our only two guys coming back who had played a lot last year,†said Memorial coach Wayne McKeller, who made the original contact with Paul Quinn coach Don Cofer. “They gave all they had for Memorial High. And I’m glad we could do something to give back to them.â€

Paul Quinn is an NAIA school that competes in the Red River Conference with schools like Houston Baptist, Huston-Tillotson, Texas Wesleyan and Jarvis College.

“I’m very excited to be able to get a chance to play at the next level,†Jackson said. “It’s been good playing at Memorial. It’s taught me a lot. I’m excited to play with coach Cofer at Paul Quinn.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami