*LC-M 9 Nederland 3 Final/Saturday*

They still have a shot. They have Dayton Tuesday and Lumberton Friday. Vidor is in progress with PNG now and have Dayton Monday, Ozen Tuesday and LCM Friday (a much more difficult finish than Nederland). Will come down to the wire for sure!!!

As it stands Vidor would have to loose 2 out of 3 while Nederland wins out.

LC-M in playoffs, Dogs in jam

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND – Tough. Real tough. But never say never.

That was the outlook Little Cypress-Mauriceville baseball coach Steve Griffith took for his team’s playoff chances coming into this school year. The Bears graduated eight starters from last year’s district champions.

“These guys, I’m so proud of them,†Griffith said after Saturday afternoon’s 9-3 win over Nederland. “From where we started the opening day of school with one returning starter in the locker room, and I think we just clinched a playoff spot.â€

The Bears, now 10-2 in district and 23-4 overall, did in fact lock up a post-season spot. LC-M is alone in first place in District 22-4A after Vidor rallied for four runs in the bottom of the 10th inning Saturday to beat Port Neches-Groves 6-5.

After PN-G (9-3) and Vidor (8-3), no other team has fewer than five losses, so the Bears have three fewer losses than the fourth-place team with only two LC-M games remaining.

Tough. Real tough. But never say never.

That was also the mantra of Nederland coach Cody Robbins, whose team had its six-game winning streak snapped and its big comeback from a 1-4 start in district sidetracked on a windy and sunny day at Metreyeon-Delahoussaye Park.

“We ain’t out of it yet,†Robbins said, his team now 7-5 in district, 11-9 overall.

“Now we need some help, but we’re not out of the picture. Vidor has to play Dayton Monday and LC-M on Friday. We’ve got to take care of business against Dayton Tuesday and Lumberton Friday.

“But winning six in a row in our district is pretty tough to do and I’m proud of my guys.â€

If Vidor or PN-G loses twice next week and Nederland wins its two games, a tie-breaker would be needed to decide 22-4A’s final playoff spot. Besides Dayton and LC-M, Vidor plays at Ozen Tuesday. PN-G hosts Central Tuesday and plays at Dayton Friday.

Pitcher Matt Johnson and catcher Jake Rowell were the biggest of many heroes for LC-M Saturday.

Johnson pitched six innings plus a couple of batters in the seventh, allowing five hits and three runs, two of them earned. He kept his pitches low and got Nederland batters to hit into 14 groundball outs.

He held the Bulldogs hitless until Beau Helmke singled to right field with two outs in the bottom of the fifth.

“Matt throws a split-finger fastball and sometimes it sinks and he gets ground balls,†Griffith said. “That’s what’s supposed to happen.â€

Jake Rowell had a 3 run shot over the right field fence. Matt Johnson pitched a great game with Adam Legget coming in to get the save. I think Chris Hearn should get defensive player of the week with him scooping up most of those 14 ground balls. I hope we don't take Lumberton too lightly with them holding PN-G to 4 runs and beating Ozen 6-5. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont