Snapper Season...

Heck man, I had to throw away 21 bags of snapper fillets after your sister RITA came to town (I'm still trying to think of how I can blame it all on the weatherman). I haven't had any fish to speak of since then, so, the likelyhood of me giving any away won't happen for QUITE A WHILE!!!!

'''fd

...opens Sat April 15th (tax day). I know it's Easter weekend' date=' but if the wind is down...I'm OUTA HERE!!!!![/quote']

I caught some really BIG snapper about 5 weeks ago around the Stetson Bank. Damn shame to throw those snapper back and let them die.

Another bitch session here, but why in the world won't they just allow you to keep the first 10 snapper instead of throwing back 20 to catch a few legal ones. Sure seems counter productive for fish conservation.

Jody, I've been saying that for years!!! What a shame to watch snapper float off because they're 1" short, when, if we could keep them, we'd get a quick limit, then move on to other species, i.e. dolphin. Those Feds just don't get it. They're too smart to know they're STUPID! Also, where is the Stetson Bank???

NOTICE!!!!... I was wrong (again). Snapper season does not open until April 21st, NOT 15TH LIKE I POSTED EARLIER. I hope this didn't cause any probs with anyone.

Jody' date=' I've been saying that for years!!! What a shame to watch snapper float off because they're 1" short, when, if we could keep them, we'd get a quick limit, then move on to other species, i.e. dolphin. Those Feds just don't get it. They're too smart to know they're STUPID! Also, where is the Stetson Bank???

NOTICE!!!!... I was wrong (again). Snapper season does not open until April 21st, NOT 15TH LIKE I POSTED EARLIER. I hope this didn't cause any probs with anyone.[/quote']

The Steson Bank is the closest portion of the Flower Gardens from Galveston (about 90-95 miles out of Galveston). It is a large rock formation that holds fish, especially Kings and Grouper. The Stetson is an awsome dive spot, but you won't see any coral. The water is just outside of the conditions coral looks for. Water ranges from 69 feet to over 200 feet.

Here are the coordinates:

Stetson Bank

Position Latitude Longitude

S-1 28°09'31.03" 94°18'31.98"

S-2 28°10'10.20" 94°18'30.21"

S-3 28°10'07.84" 94°17'23.90"

S-4 28°09'28.66" 94°17'25.68"

Mooring Buoy Coordinates: Stetson Bank

Position Latitude/Longitude

1 28°09.956' N 94°17.859' W

2 28°09.985' N 94°17.842' W

3 28°09.987' N 94°17.791' W