Hit by Pitch

mekih

What is the official rules of being "hit by a pitch"? Does the batter, in the eyes of the umpire, have to make an attempt to avoid the ball? I was told by a Dad of a high school coach that the batters box belongs to the batter and if the ball hits him then he gets to take first base. I told him he was wrong and the rule always has been that the batter must make an attempt to avoid the ball. I do know that there are way too many guys being hit and taking a free ride w/o moving out the the way. I was wondering if the rule has changed.

The hands are part of a person's body. If a pitch hits the batter's hands the ball is dead; if he swung at the pitch, a strike is called (NOT a foul). If he was avoiding the pitch, he is awarded first base.

Rules: 2.00 PERSON, TOUCH, STRIKE (e) and 6.05(f

The batter's box is not a safety zone. A batter could be called out for interference if the umpire judges that interference could or should have been avoided.

The batter is protected while in the box for a short period of time. After he has had time to react to the play he could be called for interference if he does not move out of the box and interferes with a play.

Many people believe the batter's box is a safety zone for the batter. It is not. The batter MAY be called out for interference although he is within the box. The key words, impede, hinder, confuse or obstruct apply to this situation.

An umpire must use good judgment. The batter cannot be expected to disappear. If he has a chance to avoid interference after he has had time to react to the situation and does not, he is guilty. If he just swung at a pitch, or had to duck a pitch and is off-balance, he can't reasonably be expected to then immediately avoid a play at the plate. However, after some time passes, if a play develops at the plate, the batter must get out of the box and avoid interference. The batter should always be called out when he makes contact and is outside the box.

Rules: 2.00 INTERFERENCE, 6.06© Official Baseball Rules.

If you are swinging at a pitch and the ball makes contact with you hands and it goes foul...The batter is out.

Thats not a rule.

If you are swining at the pitch and it hits your hand it is possible it could be called a strike or a hit batter. It will depend on the umpire's knowledge of the rulebook and his determination of whether or not the pitch was a strike.

Hey, thanks for the info. I believe more umpires need to read the rule book or come to this web site and get educated . I thought my friend was wrong and now I'll email some of this to him. He's not a computer guy so he would never get connected to this site.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83