JASPER

MIF04

Mike Rogers went to 5a Alvin.  Rogers certainly did a good job, but I doubt that his record would compare to Coach Boales back in the fifties and sixties.  Boales in Jasper's first four years (1960-64) in 4a (the old 3a) won district every year, beating perennial powers Nederland and Orange.  Of the first four years, his teams made it twice to the state tournament, and came within one victory in both the other two years of making it to the state tournament.  Actually, in 1964 Jasper was short by only one run against Deer Park.

Incidentally, in 1963 his Jasper team beat Alvin in the playoffs 2 games to none.  They beat a tall skinny kid from Alvin who threw nothing but smoke, 1-0.  The kids name, Nolan Ryan.  Now you know the "rest of the story".  A Jasper coach moved to Alvin to help them revive their baseball program.

Boales record before moving up to 4a was outstanding, but back then 2a did not have a state tournament so some very good Jasper teams did not get state recognition.

that's some good info., Jasper has a tradition rich program.  They have a good bunch this year (more pitching depth than in the last couple of years)  and some real good younger players coming.  I saw them a couple of times last week, they look good, just leaving too many men in scoring position.

Mike Rogers went to 5a Alvin.  Rogers certainly did a good job, but I doubt that his record would compare to Coach Boales back in the fifties and sixties.  Boales in Jasper's first four years (1960-64) in 4a (the old 3a) won district every year, beating perennial powers Nederland and Orange.  Of the first four years, his teams made it twice to the state tournament, and came within one victory in both the other two years of making it to the state tournament.  Actually, in 1964 Jasper was short by only one run against Deer Park.

Incidentally, in 1963 his Jasper team beat Alvin in the playoffs 2 games to none.  They beat a tall skinny kid from Alvin who threw nothing but smoke, 1-0.  The kids name, Nolan Ryan.  Now you know the "rest of the story".  A Jasper coach moved to Alvin to help them revive their baseball program.

Boales record before moving up to 4a was outstanding, but back then 2a did not have a state tournament so some very good Jasper teams did not get state recognition.

I am proud to say that game one winner was my uncle Phil Hennigan who went on to play in the majors with the cleveland indians and the new yord mets.  Game two winner which was against Nolan Ryan was my father Gary Hennigan

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami