Orangefield 66 Cleveland 51 Final/Playoffs

KFDM COOP

WOW, I dont know if I have ever seen that much support before for a girls game.  I may sound like a homer, but that might be the biggest crowd I've ever seen for one team.  It was an awesome experience.  Congrats Lady Bobcats and good job Orangefield crowd.  Lets pack Huntsville Friday.

Guest bleed orange

The Orangefield crowd was unblieveable. Without a doudt Orangefield supports their basketball team like no other in the area. The vidor gym is big and the home stands were packed and we had people sitting on the vistors side.  The crowd was awesome. I just want to say thanks to all the faithful for their support. Lets show that support in Huntsville, I know we will. We always do. Cleveland had to be saying WOW! I know it was close to home but it was packed in Barbers Hill also. 20fan07 you know we will be there in force. 

OF headed back to Huntsville; beat Cleveland, 66-51

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Get ready Huntsville, the Orangefield Lady Bobcats and their legion of fanatic fans are headed your way once again.

The Lady Bobcats used a strong fourth quarter from the free throw line to take out the Cleveland Lady Indians 66-51 in the Class 3A Region III quarterfinals at Vidor High School.

Up next is a return trip to the regional tournament starting this Friday in Huntsville. The Lady Bobcats will face Diboll at 6:15 Friday at the Johnson Coliseum at Sam Houston University.

Orangefield (28-7) was all smiles after the game but make no mistake about it, the players and coaches know there is unfinished business to take care of at the regional tournament.

“This is just one step,†Orangefield senior guard Kristy Sanders said. “Hopefully we go in there and continue to play our game. Last year we lost by one and watched the team win state. That loss has made us work this hard this year.â€

Working hard is exactly what several Lady Bobcats did on Wednesday night, especially senior Nichole Judice.

Thrust into the game when fouls became a problem, Judice scored 15 points and snared 12 rebounds.

Judice was a perfect 5-for-5 from the free throw line.

“It feels great to come up big for my team in such a big game,†Judice said. “When you get your chance to shine, you have to take advantage. I knew I had to give everything I had or I would regret it later on.â€

Orangefield led 49-42 after the third period when free throw shooting certainly came into play.

The Lady Bobcats limited the Lady Indians (24-9) to just nine points in the games’ final eight minutes.

While Cleveland was struggling, Orangefield and junior Kaylin Little were busy draining 13-of-18 free throws to pull away.

Little hit all eight of her freebies and finished with a team-high 18 points to go with eight rebounds and three steals.

The Lady Bobcats also got 16 points from Sanders to go with her five assists and five steals.

Senior Jessica Shores grabbed five rebounds to go with eight assists and six steals while Laura Riddick added eight points, seven rebounds and two steals.

Cleveland was led by Sha’Kendra Davis who had 18 points and 14 rebounds while Lateisha Rone finished with nine points.

All week Orangefield Coach Sondra Ancelot said the team with the rebounding edge would prevail in the scoring column.

The Lady Bobcats won the rebounding war 35-32.

“You could see how they loved to crash the boards,†Ancelot said. “We knew how key the rebounding would be. I am just so proud of this team and it is a great feeling. If there was ever a group deserving of this, it is this one. A good team beat a good team tonight (Wednesday). It came down to that we were the better team.â€

After leading 35-25 at the break, Orangefield watched their lead dwindle down to four midway through the third.

Rone hit a couple shots which were sandwiched around a three-pointer by Jessica Perry making the score 43-39.

Orangefield’s Paige Roy stopped the bleeding with a bucket.

The Lady Bobcats started the second stanza on a 7-0 spurt giving Orangefield a 19-12 lead.

Cleveland responded with a 6-0 run which included four free throws.

Judice scored seven points in the frame as Orangefield was able to keep building on its lead.

Orangefield led 35-23 after Sanders sank a shot and hit a free throw but Cleveland’s Davis finished the first half scoring with two freebies making the half-time lead 35-25 for OF.

“Everybody once again contributed to this victory,†Ancelot said. “We are really playing some good basketball right now.â€

Sanders agreed with Ancelot on how well the Lady Bobcats are playing as a team so far through the playoffs.

“I am very proud of this team right now,†Sanders said. “Nichole was so huge for us tonight. Everyone is ready to step up and contribute.â€

Orangefield finished the night 26-for-32 from the charity stripe while Cleveland was 10-for-20.

The Lady Bobcats’ hard-nosed defense forced 25 turnovers. Orangefield turned the ball over 20 times.

“Now we are all very excited about heading to Huntsville,†Judice said. “We keep reminding ourselves we got beat by one last year. I think we are very prepared right now because we realize each game could easily be our last.â€

Hey dont leave me out! Ill be there for all the games too.

As for as the game, OF keeps on impressing me in different ways. I am was happy for Nichole stepping up in such a huge game. I never know what I am going to be writing about after each game because it is always someone different to make a difference.

Congratulations to the lady cats and good luck friday.

I felt sorry for cleveland in a way, no fan support what so ever. but that OF crowd is getting more crazy with each game! the student section is growing and it is helping the girls through. now go rock huntsville and lets win a game and set up an all OC final!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami