Bucs' confidence running high as champs of 24-2A

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

02/17/2007

Bucs' confidence running high as champs of 24-2A 

By JARED AINSWORTH , Special to The Enterprise 

BEAUMONT - With fists pounded into their chests and arms raised towards the Montagne Center rafters, players on the East Chambers boys basketball team trotted off the court on Friday with smiles as big and spirits as upbeat as they'd ever been all season.

After three games, 12 quarters and an overtime session against district rival Kountze, No. 6-ranked East Chambers finally realized its goal as the class of District 24-2A.

In the third meeting - a first-place district tiebreaker - the Buccaneers played a valiant second half to outlast the No. 5-ranked Lions 74-66 late Friday evening.

Relentlessly attacking the basket and attracting contact in the paint, East Chambers (30-7) knocked down 8-of-10 free throws during the final 1:37 of the fourth quarter and outscored Kountze by eight in the second half.

"Our guys played extremely hard," East Chambers coach Hank Hargraves said. "We were in foul trouble the whole game, and for the first time, our bench stepped up against Kountze. I've never been more proud of our kids."

The teams spilt their two district meetings this season with each squad winning its home contest. East Chambers took the first game 65-60 in an overtime thriller, while the Lions (25-6) won the second meeting 71-67 in Kountze.

Both the Bucs and Lions finished the regular season tied at 11-1 in district.

On Friday, the teams were interlocked, 32-32, at halftime, but East Chambers grabbed a four-point lead late in the third quarter when guard Tramain Thomas sank a pair of free throws with 2:41 remaining in the period.

Thomas' free throws came in the midst of a 13-5 run by East Chambers that put the Bucs ahead 53-48 heading into the final quarter.

Kountze narrowed the gap to 53-50 when freshman forward Devin Bray delivered a shot in the post for the Lions just 12 seconds into the fourth quarter.

The Bucs, however, quickly began to heat up as guard Preston Guillory sank a 3-pointer from the left wing 40 seconds later to spark a 9-2 run that gave East Chambers a 62-52 advantage with 4:30 left on the clock.

The Lions trimmed East Chambers' lead to 66-60 when guard Jamesky Saberon converted a slashing layup off a pump fake with two minutes remaining in the contest.

That would be the closest Kountze would strike the rest of the way.

"It was a hard game," Kountze coach Duane Joubert said. "We got them into foul trouble, but they had some guys step up off the bench and help them out. They played a good ballgame. I'm not going to take anything away from them.

"We've just got to bounce back and take care of our business. If we take care of our business we might see them (the Bucs) again."

The duo of Thomas and Guillory performed to its usual efficient tune by combining for 40 of the Bucs' points. Thomas led the way with 23 points, while Guillory finished with 17.

East Chambers also received a hearty effort from forward Donte Raymond, who pulled down 11 rebounds. Center Vance McDonald, meanwhile, scored 10 for the Bucs.

Kountze, which will begin the Class 2A playoffs on Wednesday, was led on Friday by guard Freddie Haynes' 14 points.

With the win, the Bucs earn a first-round by in the playoffs.

"It's great. It gives us all the momentum in the world," said Hargraves, of Friday's victory. "There's a great chance that we're going to have to play those guys (the Lions) again, but we're going to enjoy this one. We're going to enjoy this one this week."

That was a nice game for the Buc bench.  The whole team looked strong.  Preston might be quicker than ever, and Tramain is, well, Tramain.  Vance played well in the minutes the refs allowed him.  You guys have what it takes to win in Austin.  This HJ fan/parent hopes to see y'all there!

Guest Bucs1995

Give credit were credit is due.  Tramine and Preston did play good, but Tramine could not get ALOT of his shots to fall.  I really think Donte and Gene had a GREAT game. 

Guest Bucs1995

I agree!!!!  But, I dont think the whole team gets the credit.  Just like Donte out scoring Vance.  The papers says it as if Vance out scored him.  I am not a parent just a Fan. 

not that it matters...but vance did outscore donte. donte came up big on the boards and on the defensive end having to guard busby when vance went out with foul trouble, as did carlos trevino. eugene leday always plays great defense. quentin joseph, jacoby carrington, and scott penny all came off the bench and contributed as well. no other way to say, it was a great TEAM effort.

Guest Bucs1995

Not that it matter, but Donte scored 12 and Vance scored 10.  How did Vance out score him.  I am just confused.  EC played one heck of a game, and you are right that is all that matters. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder