LC-M's Brooks returns after brain surgery

LC-M's Brooks returns after brain surgery

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Since the end of January, two things have been missing from the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears’ soccer program.

Wins and losses started to not matter as much as the absence of a player and a whole lot of hair.

On Jan. 31, LC-M soccer player Jordan Brooks went under the knife at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston for 12 hours to remove tumors on his skull.

Wednesday was Brooks’ first day out to the practice field to see his fellow teammates who recently showed their support the best way they knew how.

LC-M Coach Matt Wedel explained Brooks was worried about returning to school with no hair and a scar from the surgery.

To try and lessen the worry, Wedel showed up in Houston to visit Brooks with a freshly-shaven head and many of the Bears followed right behind their coach.

“That was really nice of them to do that,†Brooks said. “I was down because of the surgery and to have them shave their heads lifted my spirits. It helped me heal faster knowing they had done that for me.â€

Wedel said the Bears were already a close-knit group and now have an even bigger reason to come together.

“This team is very close to each other and Jordan’s surgery just solidified it even more,†Wedel said. “Even though he is on junior varsity, most of the varsity players shaved their heads as well. We are all one big family here. The kids started the idea and it just went from there.â€

Brooks’ mother Robin Wiegand explained her son had a nasel tumor taken out in Oct. 2006.

The tumor re-emerged on Jan. 23 and moved into Brooks’ brain. It will take three months for Brooks to heal.

Wedel said his phone did not stop ringing the day of and after Brooks’ surgery.

“It kept ringing with players and other coaches wanting to know how Jordan was,†Wedel said. “It was very hectic. My wife and I went and saw him the day after the surgery and when he saw my head was shaved he got a little emotional.†Wiegant has been nothing but pleased with Brooks’ progress since the surgery.

“He has done amazingly well,†Wiegand said. “He has never complained and has never fussed.â€

Wiegand explained Brooks is set to return to school on Monday with certain conditions set in place.

“He will have to be extremely careful,†Wiegand said. “He will leave class early to make sure he doesn’t get bumped in the hall.â€

None of that matters to Brooks who was excited just to be out on the practice with the rest of the Bears.

“It feels real good to be back out here with my friends and the players,†Brooks said. “Even though I can’t play soccer, the team will be a big part of my life. I will always continue to be a Bear soccer player. Now though, you can tell how ugly all our heads are.â€

WOW... if you read this story and a tear doesn't drop from your eye... then you aren't human... WOW... This is an awsome story... The Coach and players from LCM and this young man especially all deserve a round of applause I think... WOW... This is what makes team sports more than just a game... your a family... your brothers and sisters... or your a father of about 40 kids or so..... your even willing to shave your head just to brighten the day of a fightened boy if only for an instant... LCM.. you guys are champions.... nuff said... ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed