Warren At Kountze Predictions?

Duane Joubert doesn't have time to worry about records.

To prove it, the Kountze basketball coach doesn't even know his team's overall record.

"To be honest, I don't know our record off hand," Joubert said. "The reason why I don't know it is because I'm not really worried about records. I'm more worried about making it to the state championship game."

It took Joubert five minutes to figure out his team's overall record. He finally came up with 19-5 overall and 4-1 in District 24-2A play.

"Our goal is to win every game we play, but we don't dwell on preseason games," Joubert said. "We use those games as practice for the district season. I don't keep up with preseason games that much so that's why it takes me some time to figure up our overall record. But I do know our district record because that gets us into the playoffs."

Kountze continues district play at 7:30 p.m. today against Warren at the Lions' gym.

"Warren is a good team," Joubert said. "They have won 20 games so far so they are a strong team. I think if we want to get the win we have to come out and play hard."

So far, Kountze has racked up district wins against Buna, Anahuac, Hardin and Deweyville. The Lions are coming off of a 94-44 victory over Buna on Tuesday night.

Kountze's only district loss of the season was a 65-60 loss to East Chambers.

"The loss to East Chambers is always in the back of my head," Joubert said. "But we are trying to take care of every game that we play. We know that we have to be ready to play because on any given night you can take a loss in this district."

Silsbee coach Travis Williams feels the same way about his district.

Williams knows that another loss and his team could possibly be out of contention for the District 21-3A title.

Silsbee, West Orange-Stark, and Hardin-Jefferson are all tied for first place in the district at 5-1.

"The kids are doing a good job in district play," Williams said. "We only have one returning starter from last season so to be tied for first place with a 5-1 record feels good."

Williams didn't think it was a good idea either to dwell on records. He thought it would hinder the type of teams that they play during the preseason.

"As a coach you keep up with your record but you can't worry about it too much," Williams said. "If I worried about records than I wouldn't have played the teams that I played during the preseason. I knew we were in a tough district so we played tough schools to prepare for district play."

Some of the notable schools that Silsbee played during the preseason included Ozen, Longview, East Chambers and Kountze. The Tigers are now 16-6 overall and 5-1 in District 21-3A play.

Silsbee hosts Bridge City at 7:30 p.m. today in another district showdown at the Tigers gym.

"We are in a brutal district so you have to be ready to play," Williams said. "You can be beat on any given night so you have to have your game plan in place."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01