Bold season predictions for 2023-2024

1 hour ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Nederland definitely looks solid this year! Only team we have struggled with in Summer League (Because of their strength and size in the post). Really good well rounded team and for sure Coach English will have them ready.

They were young last year, with new editions. English and company will have the still young dogs rolling… 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:06 AM, Cu Chulainn said:

Nederland definitely looks solid this year! Only team we have struggled with in Summer League (Because of their strength and size in the post). Really good well rounded team and for sure Coach English will have them ready.

Don't forget the thrashing HF gave yall!  Fannett could be a regional tournament team, though!

43 minutes ago, Waterboys said:

Since everyone is down on Buna, I’ll say they make the playoffs and give the upper teams some trouble. Wilson is working hard and will get the most out of a scrappy squad.

You're probably right.  A lot of times teams are considered overrated so much that they become underrated.  I think Warren and Anahuac have a shot, but Buna likely outperforms those two.

4 hours ago, Waterboys said:

Since everyone is down on Buna, I’ll say they make the playoffs and give the upper teams some trouble. Wilson is working hard and will get the most out of a scrappy squad.

Best case scenario is 4th... and after what yall lost this year I think that is a bit of a stretch. 

1 hour ago, UNT-AggieMan said:

I know it don’t mean much….but I’m hearing Evadale beat EC in summer league this past week…..

They did, we were missing some guys but Evadale played well, they also blasted HJ in the same night. Until somebody can consistently beat us it will be our district to lose. 

On 6/8/2023 at 12:37 PM, Eagles12 said:

Onalaska returns to the playoffs for the first time in a long time. Coldspring returns to their playoff glory and goes three deep this year. 

I could see Onalaska making the playoffs with New Waverly likely falling hard. But Tarkington and Crockett will battle it out for first place in the district. Coldspring will have a tough time going three rounds deep from the 3rd or 4th spot as that might match them up against a strong Hitchcock team. All that being said, I've never seen a team fall so hard as they did the second half of the season last year. Not sure, anything has changed since last years team to push them back into District title conversation. 

21 hours ago, Waterboys said:

Never a good idea to sleep on Buna.  In that district, if you pick EC, Kountze, OF and Buna to be the 4 playoff teams, you will be right more often than you’re wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

New bold prediction or maybe not.  After hearing Evadale 30 popped HJ and EC this summer, I'm saying Coach Wilkins has the Rebels back in the 2a state tournament mix.  I don't know how the last couple of guys there didn't win, but Wilkins will definitely get it done.

21 hours ago, 72 Pinto said:

New bold prediction or maybe not.  After hearing Evadale 30 popped HJ and EC this summer, I'm saying Coach Wilkins has the Rebels back in the 2a state tournament mix.  I don't know how the last couple of guys there didn't win, but Wilkins will definitely get it done.

To be fair… It’s a summer league and I imagine HJ and even EC don’t have most of their varsity guys playing. Or they might but the big factor is Todd Sutherland and Clay Davis aren’t on the sidelines coaching. Not saying Evadale won’t be improved but going from what they were last year to all of a sudden state tournament contenders this year might be a big reach 

9 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

To be fair… It’s a summer league and I imagine HJ and even EC don’t have most of their varsity guys playing. Or they might but the big factor is Todd Sutherland and Clay Davis aren’t on the sidelines coaching. Not saying Evadale won’t be improved but going from what they were last year to all of a sudden state tournament contenders this year might be a big reach 

None of what you've said is wrong, but would you be surprised if I said Jason Wilkins has gone farther in the playoffs than Clay Davis ever has?  

On 7/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, 72 Pinto said:

Buna beat Evadale by 9 Saturday so what’s your bold prediction for them now