Bold season predictions for 2023-2024

On 5/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, BBfan061 said:

What are some bold predictions for next season? I’ll start with Kountze won’t lose a single district game and go 3 rounds deep in the playoffs.

Bold but not ridiculous.  Sweeping a Sutherland coached team rarely happens so that would be as tough or tougher than winning two playoff games.  But I wouldn’t be shocked if your prediction rings true.  

On 5/27/2023 at 8:11 PM, buccaneers4lyfe said:

1. Despite being hit hard by graduation the Bucs still complete for 1 of the top 2 spots 

2. The Buna playoff streak ends 

3. Hamshire-Fannett wins their 4A district 

4. The Vidor Pirates end their playoff drought 

When was the last time Vidor reached the playoffs?  My bold prediction is that PNG boys basketball gets their first ever playoff win next year.  They've been knocking on the door.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, Football_Fan11 said:

What changed with kountze? 1 great player is coming back I get it, but they got abused last year by anybody with any talent/coaching. 

Incoming freshman that’s pretty solid and will most likely start among a couple other new pieces … whole team was basically sophomores last year. Didn’t they split with East Chambers? So I don’t call that getting abused. This team will be deeper and better next season.

On 6/2/2023 at 5:52 AM, Football_Fan11 said:

What changed with kountze? 1 great player is coming back I get it, but they got abused last year by anybody with any talent/coaching. 

They have the most coming back with arguably the best player in the district (I give my buddy from Bellville a hard time but he would be my preseason MVP pick as I’m sure he would be on most people’s cards).  I would guess they would be the consensus pick to win the district.  Which, of course, means TABC will probably have them 3rd or 4th.  But we will see when they play the games.  EC and OF won’t be rolling over. 

12 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

Incoming freshman that’s pretty solid and will most likely start among a couple other new pieces … whole team was basically sophomores last year. Didn’t they split with East Chambers? So I don’t call that getting abused. This team will be deeper and better next season.

Ofield hammered them 2x

An average Buna team beat them 3/4 

Anahuac swept them, with one of those being being a 20 pop W 

I get the optimism, but kountze was not a good club last year. 

1 hour ago, Football_Fan11 said:

Ofield hammered them 2x

An average Buna team beat them 3/4 

Anahuac swept them, with one of those being being a 20 pop W 

I get the optimism, but kountze was not a good club last year. 

That’s why the title says BOLD predictions for next year 😉

I don't think Kountze winning the district is all that out there.  East Chambers lost a lot, Orangefield lost almost all their scoring, Anahuac lost the best big in the league, and Buna seems to be really down.  I still have EC I think.

My bold prediction is the the Dotson kid at BU signs with a major college program.

9 hours ago, 72 Pinto said:

I don't think Kountze winning the district is all that out there.  East Chambers lost a lot, Orangefield lost almost all their scoring, Anahuac lost the best big in the league, and Buna seems to be really down.  I still have EC I think.

My bold prediction is the the Dotson kid at BU signs with a major college program.

That’s why I said undefeated in district. I agree

A couple of more:

Westbrook breaks their losing streak against United and at least gets a split 

PA Memorial wins back to back district championship

District 19-AAAA will have a minimum of one play in game. Teams 2-6 will all be within 2 games of each other.

The Warren Warriors get into the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

I'm curious to see how the Bobcats perform at TABC in coming weeks.  Not sure their youth can replace the experience that left.  Hopefully Whitmire can make up for it. 

Bobcats pulled out of TABC this year. Whitmire hadn't been in place long enough to make contact and several players families scheduled their vacations for the same week. Bobcats wouldn't have had enough players available for the weekend of TABC. The youth will be just fine. Losing 7 Seniors would be tough on any team, but they still have 2/3 left of their leading scorers who will get more shots this year, and their 6th man from last year. The players moving up are ready too and Whitmire is already picking up where Mcdonald left off, plus the players really like him. Bobcats have been killing Summer League, so District should be really competitive.

8 hours ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

What is this TABC? I'm assuming some sort of tournament?

TABC - Texas Association of Basketball Coaches "College Live Period Showcase" - It's deemed the "College Live Period" where Texas High School Coaches can coach their own teams which is usually not allowed under Texas UIL Guidelines. More importantly, it is where College Coaches are allowed to meet and talk to recruits after watching them play. There are some rules and guidelines to it all, but it is an awesome event held in Duncanville, Texas as a one stop shop for all College Coaches. It is a great experience and opportunity for the kids who have dreams of playing past high school. In the bobcats case last year, our top 3 all got invites at multiple colleges after last year's event. We are really bummed about the timing of our transition of coaches and having to miss this year, but we are sure Coach Whitmire will make it an expectation for the boys to attend in the future. He has came in and is already doing some really great things with them, so the future looks bright!

2 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Nederland will at least go 3 rounds deep in the playoffs…

Nederland definitely looks solid this year! Only team we have struggled with in Summer League (Because of their strength and size in the post). Really good well rounded team and for sure Coach English will have them ready.