Best Player Ever

On 5/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, Waterboys said:

Bimbo is definitely in the decision, Dick Davis was pretty dang good from what I was told. Not sure who David Wilson is. Hunter isn’t even the top 10.

Dick Davis, Travis Bickham, James Wilson, Steve Gibson ,David White and Bimbo Wilson they were all all state and played in the north south all star games, saw all them play very special players!

16 hours ago, Kountzer said:

David Brown, Michael Dabney.  

David Brown was 6'8", HS all American.  He played in the NCAA final four for Memphis.  May he RIP.

David Brown was good friends with James Hunter.  Both were class of 1972.   Michael Dabney was class of 1975.

Played against both of them also they had Joe Willie Price on their team they were really good this was in 71 the year before Manning and Brannon led Kountze to the state championship also had a McDaniel on that team that could leap out of the gym.

2 minutes ago, Charlie the Boss said:

Played against both of them also they had Joe Willie Price on their team they were really good this was in 71 the year before Manning and Brannon led Kountze to the state championship also had a McDaniel on that team that could leap out of the gym.

Kountze won state in 1970 just a correction was also at that game!

One guy for Silsbee that would have to be at the top of my list would be Donnell Allen. There have been a lot of players that few people talk about. Just since I have been here there was Elester Whitmore, Lewis Arline, Willie Jones, and Eddie Fobbs. I think it is impossible to pick out who is the best. There are three Tigers on the team now who have been reported to have D-1 offers. Still even though he was before my time I would have to guess McCarthur or Brown.    I love Tiger basketball. 

7 hours ago, scoopno1 said:

One guy for Silsbee that would have to be at the top of my list would be Donnell Allen. There have been a lot of players that few people talk about. Just since I have been here there was Elester Whitmore, Lewis Arline, Willie Jones, and Eddie Fobbs. I think it is impossible to pick out who is the best. There are three Tigers on the team now who have been reported to have D-1 offers. Still even though he was before my time I would have to guess McCarthur or Brown.    I love Tiger basketball. 

Don’t forget t. Holden 

28 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Don’t forget t. Holden 

You're right he gave me a poster of him playing for Lamar in the NCAA Tournament that I still have and often wonder what has happened to him. He played at Lamar  and later Tennessee and always seemed to have double digit points, often double digit assists and sometimes double digit rebounds. It could be argued he was the best guard at Silsbee in the last 30 years. But there is a lot of competition for that acclaim. 

18 minutes ago, scoopno1 said:

You're right he gave me a poster of him playing for Lamar in the NCAA Tournament that I still have and often wonder what has happened to him. 

Works for the Railroad here in Houston. Talk to him every now and then. He was my classmate along with Lewis Arline and Brandi McCain in 1998. 

On 6/1/2023 at 8:18 AM, Charlie the Boss said:

Michael Dabney didn't play varsity until he was a sophomore in 1973. He could have and probably should have played on that 1972 team as a freshman. Maybe they didn't allow freshmen to play then.  I don't know.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:21 AM, TxHoops said:

I have a hard time picking anyone but Braelon.  But I also have never seen the older guys (MacArthur, Stallworth, etc) play so I’m definitely not qualified to vote.  Of the guys in the last 15 years, Bush would be my pick but if this year’s team could win it, I might go Harris.  Always was very partial to McCain.  His game against Carter for all the marbles was one for the ages.  But for a similar performance by Bush against Yates, I might even have Devon up top.  But Bush’s career numbers would have to make him my choice from the recent guys. 

Valid points IMO.  

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Brandi McCain might be the correct answer to the question.  Whatever the female version of “stud” is, that was her. 

Brandi was a beast, her handles were ridiculous. I remember her versus TJ, she literally did whatever she wanted offensively. 

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Best off-season thread on here in a while.  Well done. 

Thanks.  I expected more from the Beaumont crowd.  Maybe Nederland too, but they're preoccupied with bashing their own football program right now.  And speaking of Bulldogs, I heard BJ Tyler is going to be the next coach at Kelly.  Anyone else hear that?