Jasper 2023

How are we feeling, Dawgs fans? I'm a firm believer that defense wins championships and we should be pretty good there, but will our offense improve enough to get us to a district title? I know Silsbee is supposed to be good again and WOS should be decent (?), so where do we stack up? Has anyone seen the schedule?

27 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

As an outside Jasper fan for all but 1 game of the season. I expect more improvement than last year. Got a solid base established and plenty of time to coach up the kids in the off season. Gonna be another classic rivalry game down here on Oct 20.

Can't wait. 😁

7 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I dont think Jasper is ready to challenge Silsbee...but I dont see any reason why they can't finish 2nd in district this year and be a top ten type team in 4A-D2....they have the pieces IMO

We more than challenged Silsbee last season. Until poor officiating changed the outcome of the game. It is what it is.  

Hey 92 the DAWGS will make us proud this season. I am not meaning a Championship type season, but 2-3 rounds is feasible. CC and staff getting the program headed in the right direction.  We have some kids coming up the next 2-3 years that if all goes well will be alot of fun to watch.

I think this district (Jasper, WO-S, Silsbee, HD) will be one of the strongest 4A2 districts  in the state next year. They will make a lot of noise come playoffs. 
Silsbee is king of the mountain until someone knocks them off and that might just happen, WO-S, Jasper, and HD will all be capable. 

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

I think this district (Jasper, WO-S, Silsbee, HD) will be one of the strongest 4A2 districts  in the state next year. They will make a lot of noise come playoffs. 
Silsbee is king of the mountain until someone knocks them off and that might just happen, WO-S, Jasper, and HD will all be capable. 

When did Hull-Daisetta join this district and are they going to be THAT good?

Silsbee is my odds-on favorite to win the DC, with Jasper taking second.  I’d see WOS in third with a pick ‘em for  fourth… HF’s QB graduated is why I’ve got WOS in front of HF. The scary part is that just little further decline would put WOS in that pick ‘em fourth slot and all it would take is a dark horse year from BC, HJ or Liberty and the mustangs are in the stable for the playoffs. 

Silsbee is gonna be beastly this year. 

And I hate saying that. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Silsbee is my odds-on favorite to win the DC, with Jasper taking second.  I’d see WOS in third with a pick ‘em for  fourth… HF’s QB graduated is why I’ve got WOS in front of HF. The scary part is that just little further decline would put WOS in that pick ‘em fourth slot and all it would take is a dark horse year from BC, HJ or Liberty and the mustangs are in the stable for the playoffs. 

And I hate saying that. 

Is it fair to say the Silsbee defense takes a step or so back this year? Assuming the new QB is what I hear the offense will be better than last year I’d imagine…

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

And I hate saying that. 

Oddly enough. I'd have to say, you are correct sir. The really scary part is that if we take steps in the right direction. We could be really dangerous on both sides of the ball. Dont forget those Sophomore 1st teamers will be seniors now. They weren't resting on their laurels in the off season. 

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

Is it fair to say the Silsbee defense takes a step or so back this year? Assuming the new QB is what I hear the offense will be better than last year I’d imagine…

Silsbee defense will find it hard to replace WRS award winning linebacker Jayron Williams. Also lose two key defensive back players in Harper and Martin. But they have some really good returning players (five all district players on that side of the ball).

Offense will not miss a beat with the new transfer QB from San Antonio. Need a couple of OL to replace but majority is back. Two of the top three RB's return and 3 WR including WRS winner Miller.

I pick Silsbee to win district.

It’s a fun district to watch.  Got some solid teams that make for some games that fans can really get excited about during the week. Think about WOS vs Jasper , WOS vs Silsbee , WOS vs HF, Silsbee vs Jasper….and there are more. These are games that fans look forward to and can talk about. I know it wasn’t great for WOS last year, but I look at them as a sleeping giant. You drive by that place and see that historic stadium where they have “crushed” teams for decades. They will be back. 

11 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

Silsbee’s defense wasn’t THAT good, ever. They’ll be decent and the offense will be tough. So many of those kids have playoff experience, etc. 

Experience against good teams in the playoffs is a huge help. It’s what fueled so much of WOS’s success 10 years ago