West Orange-Stark 2023

100 days from now the season starts with a bang. Mustangs D needs to be ready for anything against Nederland (deleted). WOS has a good returning group of play makers that look to make some noise after a disappointing season under a 1st year coaching staff. Those guys have now had a full off-season to prepare. Mustang fans are eager to see what has or hasn't changed. Tradition will not go away easy. One step at a time to the top, just like the Mustang mile. We'll go meet up with all the teams that got their wins last season. And remind them why the we have the record of all time winningest team in TXHSFB history.

1. 8/25 @ Nederland- 7:30pm
2. 9/1 vs LCM- 7:00pm
3. 9/8 @ PNG- 7:30pm
4. 9/15 vs Newton- 7:30pm
5. 9/22 vs Silsbee- 7:30pm
6. 9/29 @ Liberty- 7:30pm
7. 10/6 vs HF- 7:30pm
8. 10/13 @ Bridge City- 7:30pm
9. 10/20 vs Jasper- 7:30pm
10. 10/27 Bye
11. 11/3 @ HJ- 7:30pm

Bellville? I'm gonna go head and pencil in that game too. Just won't be 1st round.

I'm also looking forward to home field advantage... Newton, Silsbee, HF, Jasper. Seems like we can turn this thing around pretty quick with a couple big home games against ranked competition.

Mustangs Nation been too quiet this year. Time to get it going the right way. The Mustang Way.

Just now, WOSdrummer99 said:

100 days from now the season starts with a bang. Mustangs D needs to be ready for anything against Nederland and their new OC-QB combination. WOS has a good returning group of play makers that look to make some noise after a disappointing season under a 1st year coaching staff. Those guys have now had a full off-season to prepare. Mustang fans are eager to see what has or hasn't changed. Tradition will not go away easy. One step at a time to the top, just like the Mustang mile. We'll go meet up with all the teams that got their wins last season. And remind them why the we have the record of all time winningest team in TXHSFB history.

10. 10/27 Bye

Bellville? I'm gonna go head and pencil in that game too. Just won't be 1st round.

I'm also looking forward to home field advantage... Newton, Silsbee, HF, Jasper. Seems like we can turn this thing around pretty quick with a couple big home games against ranked competition.

Mustangs Nation been too quiet this year. Time to get it going the right way. The Mustang Way.

The Barrier duo has decided not to go to Nederland

20 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

100 days from now the season starts with a bang. Mustangs D needs to be ready for anything against Nederland (deleted). WOS has a good returning group of play makers that look to make some noise after a disappointing season under a 1st year coaching staff. Those guys have now had a full off-season to prepare. Mustang fans are eager to see what has or hasn't changed. Tradition will not go away easy. One step at a time to the top, just like the Mustang mile. We'll go meet up with all the teams that got their wins last season. And remind them why the we have the record of all time winningest team in TXHSFB history.

10. 10/27 Bye

Hoping for a return to glory for the Mustangs. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

10. 10/27 Bye

What is the outlook for HF?

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

What is the outlook for HF?

Coach Waggoner will have his team prepared for every game as usual. Week 1 @ Lumberton will be a great test for the Longhorns. D'onte Zeno, 2nd Team All State Offensive ALL-PURPOSE, is back to make the most of his senior year. His athletic abilities are amazing but I'm not sure where he's going to line up. Wherever that is, he'll definitely demand attention from the opposing defense.

5 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

10. 10/27 Bye

I'd be shocked if WO-S lost to Nederland almost no seniors at all this year for the Bulldogs...we won 2 games last year 2 might be generous for this year's team 

23 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

10. 10/27 Bye

Bellville won’t be any good this year…Probably the 3rd or 4th seed in district. Nothing to see here

This year will tell the tale as far as the Mustangs are concerned, IMO. 

I’d like to see them turn things around, but this is the first time in ages that I wouldn’t consider them the front runner for a DC. 

1. They could adapt to the new schemes and start having more success. 
2. Or, CT’s influence on the program could be even less than last year as time has marched on, leaving a worse on-field product than we saw last year. 

I think a better question is…. What happens first? WOS wins a DC or WOS misses the playoffs? It really feels like either one is possible at this point.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I’d like to see them turn things around, but this is the first time in ages that I wouldn’t consider them the front runner for a DC. 

2. Or, CT’s influence on the program could be even less than last year as time has marched on, leaving a worse on-field product than we saw last year. 

I think a better question is…. What happens first? WOS wins a DC or WOS misses the playoffs? It really feels like either one is possible at this point.  

Doubt they "miss the playoffs". 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

They aren't missing the playoffs as long as they continue playing in a 7-team 4A district (especially with HJ, BC, and liberty in it).  So they'll win a DC before they miss the playoffs.  

No doubt WOS had a tough year last year.  Look who they lost to:

Newton- 12-2, 4 rounds deep (lost by 3)
PNG- 13-3, 5A State finalists
Silsbee- 13-1, 4 rounds deep (absolutely were good enough to make it to the state finals and lose to carthage)
HF- 9-4, 3 rounds deep 
Jasper- 7-4 (close losses to Newton, Franklin, and Silsbee)
Bellville- 11-1 

Legitimate argument that this was the toughest schedule in the state.  WOS was a handful of plays away from being 8-3 and state ranked going to the second round of the playoffs.  Obviously it was a disappointing season, no doubt about it.  But it's not going to take a whole lot to turn it around this year.  That said, if it gets worse, it's time for a change at the end of the season.  

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

With 4 teams going to the playoffs, a team would have to be pretty bad not to make the playoffs.  The current playoff structure reminds me of the "everybody" gets a participation ribbon.  Curious why they haven't gone full "touchy-feely" and let everybody make the playoffs?  You see, this way the 2-8 coach can put on his resume how many times he's made the playoffs.  At least he'll feel good about himself!   LOL!   Whatcha think?!

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

With 4 teams going to the playoffs, a team would have to be pretty bad not to make the playoffs.  The current playoff structure reminds me of the "everybody" gets a participation ribbon.  Curious why they haven't gone full "touchy-feely" and let everybody make the playoffs?  You see, this way the 2-8 coach can put on his resume how many times he's made the playoffs.  At least he'll feel good about himself!   LOL!   Whatcha think?!

No offense, but I remember when LaMarque was a powerhouse.  Heck, even Burkeville and BC have state championships and both are about a million miles away from being decent for the last few years.   Crazy things happen.  

You lose the coaching, the culture, the winning, and then the athletes.... then it's over.    If you ask me, WOS basically lost the first three last year.  I guess the only question is whether or not it was a fluke, and whether or not kids and their parents decide to bail if the ship isn't righted this year.  

I'm not wishing bad luck on our neighbors, but to pretend that it can't happen because of 112% or whatever is really just ignoring what can obviously happen. 

6 hours ago, Reagan said:

4 seeds beating one seeds happen more often than you think. Hell Bellville finished 4th in baseball this year and is still playing in the regional quarter finals now.

9 hours ago, Gametime5 said:

WOS is a staple for football success. Best of luck, and there is no way they miss the playoffs this year. By the way , did anyone hear where the Vidor OC Trahan went or who got the BC offensive coordinator spot ? 

He may be going back where he came from before being OC, coaching girls softball. I doubt he OC's again.

16 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

4 seeds beating one seeds happen more often than you think. Hell Bellville finished 4th in baseball this year and is still playing in the regional quarter finals now.

I'm 100% talking about football here.  You brought up baseball as a side note and that's OK.  But, let's stick with football.  You seem to be well versed in this subject so educate us:  What is the percentage in football of 2-8, 3-7 4th place teams winning State Championships?  How about the percentage in football of 4th place teams in general that wins State Championships?  Now, on the flip side, what is the percentage in football of 4th place teams getting beat in the 1st round?  So, once we see the answers then it might be more than I think.  Thanks!

PS -- What do you think of allowing all teams to make the playoffs?  

29 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I'm 100% talking about football here.  You brought up baseball as a side note and that's OK.  But, let's stick with football.  You seem to be well versed in this subject so educate us:  What is the percentage in football of 2-8, 3-7 4th place teams winning State Championships?  How about the percentage in football of 4th place teams in general that wins State Championships?  Now, on the flip side, what is the percentage in football of 4th place teams getting beat in the 1st round?  So, once we see the answers then it might be more than I think.  Thanks!

But 4 seeds still beat 1 seeds in football.  Every year.

I'm not a fan of that many going either, but when a 4 beats a 1 it's justified.  Even if very few times.  It truly shows that some districts are just weaker/stronger than others.  In all actuality, 3 beating 2 shouldn't technically happen either but it's extremely common.

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

I’d rather have 3 personally … 

I have always said just send 2, but I'm old school that way.

But, if you are going to send 4 teams, make sure every district has a minimum 7 teams in it. I don't like 4 teams going out of 4, 5 and even 6 team districts.

Also, every #1 seed (district champ) should host a 1st round playoff game. Another incentive to win district.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:48 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

10. 10/27 Bye

Good Post. Have they finished the new press box yet?