Nederland 2023

lcm93

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

Where did you get that Barrier was fired. Nederland wanted him and his son would have been starting QB. This comes straight from the horses mouth.

A more accurate statement would be"The Nederland head coach wanted the QB son to be his potential starter & the dad would have been the assistant O.C. to the head coach\ real O.C. 😎

I heard that Nederland’s staff and boosters were not very friendly to the Barriers during their visit. A whole lot of “don’t think you’re coming in here to reinvent the wheel” and “we’ve got our starting QB so don’t think some small school kid can come in here and play” etc. Pretty sure Nederland not being very welcoming was the determining factor of the Barriers moving on. 

And on a couple other notes, Ned is a tremendous coach and offensive mastermind. His head coaching record isn’t great, but look at the programs he took over. Nobody goes to those schools and puts up big winning records. Any school would be lucky to get Coach Barrier as HC or OC….with or without Brady coming along. 

Speaking of Brady, apparently several posters on this thread have NOT SEEN this kid play. He is legit in every sense of the word. Tremendous athlete, great kid, and someone that LOVES football. He just made it to regionals in the discus…as a freshman. And those of y’all saying yeah he started at a 3A school as a freshman, big deal, lots of kids do that. He didn’t just START, the kid balled out. He threw for 2600+ yards (65.8% completion), 21 TDs (rushed for another 5 scores) and only 5 interceptions. He only play 2-3 quarters in multiple games blowing teams out and in the 10 games other than Newton and Franklin he only threw one interception (Anahuac was trailing in both those games and were throwing a ton late into heavy pass coverage). Kid throws dimes and eats, sleeps and breathes football and is a very underrated athlete. He’s about 6’3” 200lbs right now….and just finished 9th grade last week. His first game after 8th grade was the season opener as the starter against Newton and the athletes they bring to the table….and he didn’t seem phased at all. So anyone thinking he can’t make the immediate jump to 5A and that level of play doesn’t have a clue. We’ll be watching this kid throw TDs on Saturdays in a few years, mark my words. Nederland really lost out not getting those two. 

35 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Coach said he (the son) would have been a big plus to the Nederland program and was disappointed he left. They thought it was a done deal. 

I am sure as badly as the dad wants to coach the son, the son wants to be coached by his dad. If the story about the icy reception is true, coupled with Barrow talking like the son was the primary reason for pursuing the dad, I am not surprised they decided to go elsewhere. 

Honestly, I would've preferred they just stayed in Anahuac to see what they could've done there. I think that team was primed to make some deep runs the next two years. I hope wherever they end up works out for them. 

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

I am sure as badly as the dad wants to coach the son, the son wants to be coached by his dad. If the story about the icy reception is true, coupled with Barrow talking like the son was the primary reason for pursuing the dad, I am not surprised they decided to go elsewhere. 

Honestly, I would've preferred they just stayed in Anahuac to see what they could've done there. I think that team was primed to make some deep runs the next two years. I hope wherever they end up works out for them. 

not true...Like I say, I get my info from my nephew .

5 hours ago, Corona_with_Lime said:

I heard that Nederland’s staff and boosters were not very friendly to the Barriers during their visit. A whole lot of “don’t think you’re coming in here to reinvent the wheel” and “we’ve got our starting QB so don’t think some small school kid can come in here and play” etc. Pretty sure Nederland not being very welcoming was the determining factor of the Barriers moving on. 

And on a couple other notes, Ned is a tremendous coach and offensive mastermind. His head coaching record isn’t great, but look at the programs he took over. Nobody goes to those schools and puts up big winning records. Any school would be lucky to get Coach Barrier as HC or OC….with or without Brady coming along. 

Speaking of Brady, apparently several posters on this thread have NOT SEEN this kid play. He is legit in every sense of the word. Tremendous athlete, great kid, and someone that LOVES football. He just made it to regionals in the discus…as a freshman. And those of y’all saying yeah he started at a 3A school as a freshman, big deal, lots of kids do that. He didn’t just START, the kid balled out. He threw for 2600+ yards (65.8% completion), 21 TDs (rushed for another 5 scores) and only 5 interceptions. He only play 2-3 quarters in multiple games blowing teams out and in the 10 games other than Newton and Franklin he only threw one interception (Anahuac was trailing in both those games and were throwing a ton late into heavy pass coverage). Kid throws dimes and eats, sleeps and breathes football and is a very underrated athlete. He’s about 6’3” 200lbs right now….and just finished 9th grade last week. His first game after 8th grade was the season opener as the starter against Newton and the athletes they bring to the table….and he didn’t seem phased at all. So anyone thinking he can’t make the immediate jump to 5A and that level of play doesn’t have a clue. We’ll be watching this kid throw TDs on Saturdays in a few years, mark my words. Nederland really lost out not getting those two. 

I was ready to see how the 3A to 5A jump went vs. WOS, P.A. PNG, Crosby & BH. I am sure he ends up at another 5A\ 6A school with his dads mastermind of offense & his size & D1 skill set. Also ready to see how the last D1 QB prospect that transferred to Ned does at Oak Ridge that has a handful of D1 prospects. 

Just my opinion but I see a problem with Barrier coaching his son. OC needs to coach the team not his son. Coach Neece is one of the best OC  and signal callers I have seen. He is going to call the plays best to win the game and not what is best to promote a certain persons stats. Anahuac would have a bigger loss with Greg not Calling the signals then they would with the QB leaving the team.  Going to see how this all plays out. Need to put a tracking collar on Coach  Barrier. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, purpleeagle said:

Just my opinion but I see a problem with Barrier coaching his son. OC needs to coach the team not his son. Coach Neece is one of the best OC  and signal callers I have seen. He is going to call the plays best to win the game and not what is best to promote a certain persons stats. Anahuac would have a bigger loss with Greg not Calling the signals then they would with the QB leaving the team.  Going to see how this all plays out. Need to put a tracking collar on Coach  Barrier. 

Now you are just talking out of your arse. If you watched Anahuac at all last year, you would've seen a noticeable uptick in passing attempts to the year prior. Neece clearly retooled his offense to build it around the QB and the athletes at his disposal. Try not to let your nephew's disappointment cause the truth to be blurred. 

On 6/1/2023 at 12:12 PM, Corona_with_Lime said:

And those of y’all saying yeah he started at a 3A school as a freshman, big deal, lots of kids do that. He didn’t just START, the kid balled out. He threw for 2600+ yards (65.8% completion), 21 TDs (rushed for another 5 scores) and only 5 interceptions. He only play 2-3 quarters in multiple games blowing teams out and in the 10 games other than Newton and Franklin he only threw one interception (Anahuac was trailing in both those games and were throwing a ton late into heavy pass coverage). Kid throws dimes and eats, sleeps and breathes football and is a very underrated athlete. 

I did see him play in person (vs. Newton) and I did speak with him and his mom in the upper suite level of AT&T during the Championships. They were hanging out with Todd Dodge. He did have a stellar year in the local 3A. Period. No one can or is debating that. What should be kept in mind though it was done in a very weak 3A district. Look at who they lost to, non district D-2 Newton, Orangefield (tough but not overly athletic), and then they were creamed by Franklin. They beat 4-7 Buna by just 13 points. Orangefield and Anahuac won one playoff game, EC and Buna lost in first round. Weak district. There are no signature wins that I can see he has. Also, Anahuac had an athletic, well coached team team around him with good recievers to throw to. That makes a QB's job a lot easier.

Put him in Nederland or simular and things could go badly for him, even if he plays well. If they just "have" to leave Anahuac then I hope he lands with a good team that has talent all around him, and there is no OC coaching drama involved. He could still have an incredible three years ahead in Anahuac with potential deeper runs, or he could struggle elsewhere. Sometimes the very best move is one you never make...    

17 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

I did see him play in person (vs. Newton) and I did speak with him and his mom in the upper suite level of AT&T during the Championships. They were hanging out with Todd Dodge. He did have a stellar year in the local 3A. Period. No one can or is debating that. What should be kept in mind though it was done in a very weak 3A district. Look at who they lost to, non district D-2 Newton, Orangefield (tough but not overly athletic), and then they were creamed by Franklin. They beat 4-7 Buna by just 13 points. Orangefield and Anahuac won one playoff game, EC and Buna lost in first round. Weak district. There are no signature wins that I can see he has. Also, Anahuac had an athletic, well coached team team around him with good recievers to throw to. That makes a QB's job a lot easier.

Put him in Nederland or simular and things could go badly for him, even if he plays well. If they just "have" to leave Anahuac then I hope he lands with a good team that has talent all around him, and there is no OC coaching drama involved. He could still have an incredible three years ahead in Anahuac with potential deeper runs, or he could struggle elsewhere. Sometimes the very best move is one you never make...    

Or what is most likely, he will be great anywhere he plays. All of that rhetoric about "what he did" or "didnt do" was done by a "Freshman on varsity". For a freshman to perform at that rate on varsity at any level is exceedingly impressive. He is a "player" and will only get better as he matures. Wherever he lands will be set at QB including 1A-6A.

There are occasional exceptional freshmen that elevates and transforms their team. Anahuac went 9-3 with one playoff win the year before he arrived, and Anahuac went the same 9-3 with one playoff win with him last year. I hope no one will accuse me of "hatin' on him" because I look at it analytically. I really do wish him the best, and his best days are hopefully ahead, but if you QB an athletic Anahuac team to a 13 point win over 4-7 Buna, I don't think he is the starting QB at North Shore, Katy or Atascocita under any circumstance, or even PN-G or PAM at least at this point. 

89, I respect your opinion, what do you see as his signature win so far?    

1 minute ago, Separation Scientist said:

There are occasional exceptional freshmen that elevates and transforms their team. Anahuac went 9-3 with one playoff win the year before he arrived, and Anahuac went the same 9-3 with one playoff win with him last year. I hope no one will accuse me of "hatin' on him" because I look at it analytically. I really do wish him the best, and his best days are hopefully ahead, but I don't think he is the starting QB at North Shore, Katy or Atascocita under any circumstance, or even PN-G or PAM at least at this point. 

89, I respect your opinion, what do you see as his signature win so far?    

He had 9 "signature wins" last year because he was a freshman starting on varsity. Winning 9 games with a freshman QB is impressive (with no qualifiers). I doubt if anyone of the teams he played against had a "freshman QB". Name all of the freshman QBs that have won more than 9 games as a starter. I suspect he will be a starter at whatever school he lands at and it will not matter what classification. 

On 6/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, purpleeagle said:

Where did you get that Barrier was fired. Nederland wanted him and his son would have been starting QB. This comes straight from the horses mouth.

I never said he was fired I said I hope they stay in Anahuac 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

He had 9 "signature wins" last year because he was a freshman starting on varsity. Winning 9 games with a freshman QB is impressive (with no qualifiers). I doubt if anyone of the teams he played against had a "freshman QB". Name all of the freshman QBs that have won more than 9 games as a starter. I suspect he will be a starter at whatever school he lands at and it will not matter what classification. 

Freshmen play and start and win on varsity in 3A. Its not all that uncommon.

Put Anahuac's back up left guard at QB and Anahuac still wins 5/10 in that district. 

14 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Now you are just talking out of your arse. If you watched Anahuac at all last year, you would've seen a noticeable uptick in passing attempts to the year prior. Neece clearly retooled his offense to build it around the QB and the athletes at his disposal. Try not to let your nephew's disappointment cause the truth to be blurred. 

Yes I did watch him last year, I do the security for Newton(33yrs) and I talk out of my mouth. 

9 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Freshmen play and start and win on varsity in 3A. Its not all that uncommon.

Put Anahuac's back up left guard at QB and Anahuac still wins 5/10 in that district. 

It is highly uncommon for a freshman to start at QB at any level. It is also uncommon for freshman to start on varsity as freshman in other positions. You should do a roster check and see what the percentage of "freshman starting and winning on varsity" is for the area. I suspect it be in the range of 3-6% at 3A and close to zero in 4A. 

If you believe a "backup left guard" can play QB and go .500, you have revealed your own ignorance regarding football. We can let everyone else read your comments and draw their own conclusions.

17 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

If you believe a "backup left guard" can play QB and go .500, you have revealed your own ignorance regarding football. 

Lets keep the correct context, please. I said "in that district". That matters a lot. Last year Anahuac was athletic enough to run over the like of HJ, SA, Hardin, Kirbyville, Tarkington, and even their first round opponent Westwood if someone could simply hand off the ball. The Anahuac D would do the rest.      

Lastly, North Shore won State with a freshman QB year before last. In 6A.   

16 hours ago, KF89 said:

My un-educated scientific guess after 40 years of high school football exp. is 80% of freshmen start on varsity in 3A if their dad, grand dad, uncle or any other relative is a coach on the varsity staff😎

100%. I have heard people call it "daddy ball" before. I worked with a guy in the past that said that a lot. 

(Of course this is in NO WAY related to the excellent, excellent QB we are discussing here).