Orangefield HIRED Bryan Whitmire

5 hours ago, Coach Bethea said:

There are always two sides to every story.  I know a lot of coaches read this site but I am not going to sit and be someone’s punching bag on a site where people hide their real name.  I am not hiding behind my screen name.  I have a great resume.  Yes, I have been at different places but some were my choice and some were the results of politics in this profession.  Some of you coaches who stir up the conversations and hide behind a screen name, well that is why I don’t come coach with you guys.  You should worry about your jobs since you are on short leashes.  You know who you are and coaches in the area know who you are too.  Heck, I have had 7 coaches contact me this morning about the jabs taken at me on this post and they all had only positive things to say. 

(Last 5 years)

OF Assistant – went 3 rounds deep, renewed for next school year. 

Evadale Boys Head Coach – Won District Championship…tripled win total. Principal wanted her brother to be the coach.  (Turned out ok because I went to OF)

WOS Girls Head Coach – Renewed, accepted job at Evadale (basketball school)

Slocum Girls Head Coach – told girls program from Middle school to High School would not win a game.  Won 30 games overall…. AD wanted best friend as a retire/rehire to take over Girls.  Ask me to go to the boys’ side as assistant.  I ended up accepting job at WOS.  (Covid hit this year as well)

Deweyville Boys Coach – Wanted to coach my daughter.  Accepted job at Slocum.

111 wins as a Head Coach

3 District Championships as Head Coach, 3 District Championships as an Assistant

Graduate in December from Lamar as a Honor Student with Master of Education Administration Degree.

You don’t owe anyone any kind of explanation but good for you.  Personally, I wish you the best whether it is at OF or elsewhere.  I respect the sacrifices you guys make and all you do to help our kids. 

1 hour ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

Talking about actual basketball what can we expect from the Cats this season? Will they be able to challenge The Bucs & Lions for the top spot in 22 AAA?

I’d imagine the race for the district championship will be competitive once again. I can’t speak for other teams but Kountze should be better than last season as well as an incoming freshman that may start. 

4 hours ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

Talking about actual basketball what can we expect from the Cats this season? Will they be able to challenge The Bucs & Lions for the top spot in 22 AAA?

2 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

I’d imagine the race for the district championship will be competitive once again. I can’t speak for other teams but Kountze should be better than last season as well as an incoming freshman that may start. 

Not sure what EC has coming back.  Kountze will be better for sure.  OF will be tough to not drop at least a little with that Senior class. Not just Ragusa either, that was a special group.  My guess is it will be a fight between the Bucs and the Lions and then a dogfight for 3rd and 4th with the usual suspects. 

19 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Not sure what EC has coming back.  Kountze will be better for sure.  OF will be tough to not drop at least a little with that Senior class. Not just Ragusa either, that was a special group.  My guess is it will be a fight between the Bucs and the Lions and then a dogfight for 3rd and 4th with the usual suspects. 

EC lost several seniors. 4 starters and 2 key reserves.

Sutherland is always tough for OF to beat, so I could see them losing both to EC.

Kountze will be much better next year, but OF handles their press and zone well so could see OF beating them, and then Kountze beating EC similar to how this year played out. 

2 hours ago, Football_Fan11 said:

Buna being that low in the standings seems odd, im assuming they graduated a lot? 

Thought the same thing. 

31 minutes ago, Cougar Den said:

Buna will be young next season , graduated 5 Seniors  4 starters with 1 starter returning . 

Makes sense then.  Still gotta think they will be in the mix. 

7 hours ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

The district is going to be so entertaining to follow like usual. I think Buna V Orangefield may end up being a national broadcast.😄Alumni player and coach against his former team. The season cannot get here fast enough. 

In regards to that last comment, yes it can. Got too much beachin to do.

18 hours ago, Tyler Dixson said:

Graduating a lot and losing the last Connell. No more in the chamber unless Manny can convince a woman to like him enough 😂 Then we’d have to wait another 14 years though. 

What a run for the Cougars with those three.  How would you rank them (for fun)?  I would go Alex, Remi, then Garrison.  But full disclosure, I by far have seen the least of Garrison. You usually don’t see the middle kid being the best for whatever reason but that’s where I feel the strongest.  Much less confident ranking the other two.  All three were an absolute ball to watch and ALWAYS conducted themselves with class on the court.  Kudos to Manny on raising quality young men.  

On 4/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Football_Fan11 said:

Great job description, where is this posted? Sure seems like the Bobcats may just reload. Not too many schools in Southeast TX average 80 ppg. 

The Bobcats averaged 65 points per game last season and broke 80 (6 times) as well as 70 (13 times). 80 could have been the goal all along, just saying. Guard heavy teams find themselves needing to play fast and keep bigger opposing lineups winded by running the floor. It's just "Small Ball - 101". If you have bigger/dominant posts then slowing the game down could be the better strategy because your size in the paint makes you better suited for the half-court style of play (example: Orangefield would have wanted to slow the pace down when Valentine Cat was there. Dump it down every time down the floor to Cat until they double, then kick out to your open shooters (Coy Bryant) when they do). Orangefield will have some BIGS coming the next few years, but probably not another 6'10".

On 4/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, Knox34 said:

C047F491-2DA0-4EAD-A6FC-2960A3231418.jpeg

Sounds like a Dad trying to entice a good coach to apply in Orangefield by highlighting some of what they already have going for them. Of course, folks want to run with it and make it something it's not, but anybody would want what was best for their kid and their teammates, including all of you. You can see where he said, "Scrappy, well mannered kids with a ton of heart".

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I was hoping you could!  My understanding is he’s already interviewed. 

I am being told from a very reliable source that he did interview. Apparently, getting Whitmire to come home to SETX is a real possibility. Hoping the delay is just them working out the details for him and his family.

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Orangefield HIRED Bryan Whitmire