Orangefield HIRED Bryan Whitmire

Very few coaches are looking to take a job with unrealistic expectations and instructions on how the team should play before taking the job. If that’s going on now what happens when he takes over the team?  Could be a constant battle. Might be in teams best interest to keep that to a minimum 🤷🏻‍♂️

17 hours ago, Knox34 said:

Very few coaches are looking to take a job with unrealistic expectations and instructions on how the team should play before taking the job. If that’s going on now what happens when he takes over the team?  Could be a constant battle. Might be in teams best interest to keep that to a minimum 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not saying you’re wrong.  Which would be a shame because it is, in general, a good job.  Not the highest paid probably, but good kids and a GREAT AD, HS principal and Superintendent.  Always nice to have awesome bosses. But it just appeared that your tongue in cheek comment about potential candidates was taken seriously by some in this thread.  

28 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong.  Which would be a shame because it is, in general, a good job.  Not the highest paid probably, but good kids and a GREAT AD, HS principal and Superintendent (I would bet all the current coaches would concur here ).  Always nice to have awesome bosses. But it just appeared that your tongue in cheek comment about potential candidates was taken seriously by some in this thread.  

On 4/21/2023 at 9:47 AM, Bobcat1 said:

Didn't Orangefield lose a lot of seniors

They will likely move to 4A next alignment not sure if that matters to the coaches applying, but it seems it would very hard to compete in the 4A district they'd be in. 

Both of those matter immensely.  Plus.. take into account that the coaching pool gets smaller every year.  OF better not be too picky.

15 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

parents are part of the job, and bad ones can be as unappealing as bad players.

Not possible that I could deal with being undermined by people in the stands for every decision/outcome that was made.  I understand that it's part of the business, but that's why I don't do it.  And probably part of the reason the profession is hurting so badly for people. Everyone that's ever watched a professional game or coached a little league team thinks they would win the title if they were calling the shots.

What a joke.

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Not possible that I could deal with being undermined by people in the stands for every decision/outcome that was made.  I understand that it's part of the business, but that's why I don't do it.  And probably part of the reason the profession is hurting so badly for people. Everyone that's ever watched a professional game or coached a little league team thinks they would win the title if they were calling the shots.

What a joke.

I think some fan bases typically are worse than others, but every school has at least 1 or 2, and it only takes 1 or 2.  When there's more than that it's a nightmare.

Orangefield should have a few good runs in them if they stay where they're at.

Not sure about that uptempo style of play some of their fans seem to want. I know a few local schools that'd run them out of the gym if they tried playing that way. Maybe if they stick to 3A it could work.

The thing is orangefield should be a desirable place to go coach. They have talent and have a city that supports them and a school that supports them. The problem is when you get parents that are too involved and want to lead the team or think they no more than the coaches. They turn a desirable job into a vacancy that will be very hard to fill with an experienced good coach. All these coaches talk and know what to expect from the parents going into it. A lot of them will stay clear of that job to avoid the headaches that come with it. If the parents want the best for the team they need to keep their opinions to themselves. 

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Orangefield HIRED Bryan Whitmire