Pressbox Changes at Nederland

lcm93

6 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

Maybe, but Covid didn't do it any favors either.

Possibly, but I really feel "they've" been dragging their feet on this one. Maybe it's by design, maybe the contractor(s) are slow or maybe the school district is not good at pushing things along. I mean, homes were built during Covid, Huge new units in refineries were built during Covid, Lumberton built new schools during Covid, etc. etc.

Regardless, I bet the folks in Big Ned will be happy if/when this is complete.

16 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Possibly, but I really feel "they've" been dragging their feet on this one. Maybe it's by design, maybe the contractor(s) are slow or maybe the school district is not good at pushing things along. I mean, homes were built during Covid, Huge new units in refineries were built during Covid, Lumberton built new schools during Covid, etc. etc.

Regardless, I bet the folks in Big Ned will be happy if/when this is complete.

Probably a little of all of that.   I think the school district wasn't pushing as hard, some of it was shortages of building materials and also the contractors are building a new high school and adding on to the four elementaries (manpower shortages).  Anyway, since they aren't starting in the middle of June like they did with the new restrooms last year they should have it finished before the season starts.  Since a lot of the pre-work is being done I see them starting the actual build not too long after the festival ends. 

The turf happened quickly after the bond passed because it doesn’t take much to do during the summer. (Phase 1) NISD plan from the get go was to do this in a 3 phase due to not interrupting to many sport teams utilizing the stadium. They are working around all the sports teams. I’m fine with them doing it in 3 phase. Would it be nice to snap your fingers and bam it’s all done? Yes. But would hate to shut down Bulldog Stadium for 9 months to a year and sacrifice a senior player the right to play at Bulldog Stadium in front of that home crowd. 

5 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

The turf happened quickly after the bond passed because it doesn’t take much to do during the summer. (Phase 1) NISD plan from the get go was to do this in a 3 phase due to not interrupting to many sport teams utilizing the stadium. They are working around all the sports teams. I’m fine with them doing it in 3 phase. Would it be nice to snap your fingers and bam it’s all done? Yes. But would hate to shut down Bulldog Stadium for 9 months to a year and sacrifice a senior player the right to play at Bulldog Stadium in front of that home crowd. 

I agree.  My biggest issue was the bathroom and stands project last summer.  They really didn't start until mid-June, when they could have started in April and not affected any sports going on.  They weren't done until the end of September.   I know they had supply problems with the metal and some issues with workers but some of that was self-inflicted with the other bond projects going on.  NISD finally got on their case about it and it got done.  It looks like they learned some lessons from that and will get the press box started ( and hopefully) done much quicker.   Also, I think the press box will be pre-fabricated and then lifted in place so that should save some time. Hopefully the pre-fab is done and its just the site work that needs to be completed before the press box is put in place.

11 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Yes, but admittedly, they could have done the bathrooms and stands at the same time as the turf. Heck, do it all at the same time! Like I said, they probably don't know how to push work. Oh well, sounds like it's progressing.

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yes, but admittedly, they could have done the bathrooms and stands at the same time as the turf. Heck, do it all at the same time! Like I said, they probably don't know how to push work. Oh well, sounds like it's progressing.

With a brand new high school being constructed, both middle schools and 4 elementary schools renovations and additions then add to the stadium it’s a lot of work. You put all the focus on remodeling and construction of the stadium you will have everyone saying all they care about is sports. If you do it evenly and in phases each project is getting equal amount of time. Work is progressing and the final product will be nice. 

15 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

I agree.  My biggest issue was the bathroom and stands project last summer.  They really didn't start until mid-June, when they could have started in April and not affected any sports going on.  They weren't done until the end of September.   I know they had supply problems with the metal and some issues with workers but some of that was self-inflicted with the other bond projects going on.  NISD finally got on their case about it and it got done.  It looks like they learned some lessons from that and will get the press box started ( and hopefully) done much quicker.   Also, I think the press box will be pre-fabricated and then lifted in place so that should save some time. Hopefully the pre-fab is done and its just the site work that needs to be completed before the press box is put in place.

The bathrooms and such was materiel delay. Price of steel went through the roof and was a waiting game. Could you have imagined if they tore down the pressbox and couldn’t build it cause of material and we don’t have one all football season? Just a prevented disaster NISD took. They are building it offsite and then when it gets here it’s just bolt up and hook up. Should be a very speedy process what I was told. What work they can do now they are doing it. 

49 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

With a brand new high school being constructed, both middle schools and 4 elementary schools renovations and additions then add to the stadium it’s a lot of work. You put all the focus on remodeling and construction of the stadium you will have everyone saying all they care about is sports. If you do it evenly and in phases each project is getting equal amount of time. Work is progressing and the final product will be nice. 

No doubt, that's probably true; soooo, figure out how to work most or all of it at the same time (like a turnaround), and it all gets done in a timely fashion or even ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

The bathrooms and such was materiel delay. Price of steel went through the roof and was a waiting game. Could you have imagined if they tore down the pressbox and couldn’t build it cause of material and we don’t have one all football season? Just a prevented disaster NISD took. They are building it offsite and then when it gets here it’s just bolt up and hook up. Should be a very speedy process what I was told. What work they can do now they are doing it. 

Yep, I am fine with them waiting until all the sports are done.  They just need to get the site work done before its ready.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:50 PM, SmashMouth said:

No doubt, that's probably true; soooo, figure out how to work most or all of it at the same time (like a turnaround), and it all gets done in a timely fashion or even ahead of schedule.

As easy as it sounds, no one in this day and age wants to work anymore. Plus something to do with schools, all the construction workers have to pass a background check. If you ever worked construction before well you know where I’m going with it lol 

On 3/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, navydawg31 said:

As easy as it sounds, no one in this day and age wants to work anymore. Plus something to do with schools, all the construction workers have to pass a background check. If you ever worked construction before well you know where I’m going with it lol 

Yep. 

On 3/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, navydawg31 said:

Also true, and you also have a lot of refinery projects starting up as well.  That will take up much of the workforce.   A three year job building a unit/refinery vs a short term project is tempting job security.

19 hours ago, Bigdog said:

Also true, and you also have a lot of refinery projects starting up as well.  That will take up much of the workforce.   A three year job building a unit/refinery vs a short term project is tempting job security.

Not really the craftsmen as much as just helper/laborer types. But it could have a small scale effect, I suppose.

• Bobcat1 changed the title to Pressbox Changes at Nederland