State Rep files bill to change 6A playoff divisions

While we’re addressing that, why not also address school districts like Houston (196k students) and Dallas (154k students) being allowed to participate in 3A, 4A, and 5A playoffs due to school size, while pulling talent to those teams from all across the city.  For the most part not a big deal in football, but the basketball playoffs are a joke in 4A and 5A.  The success Silsbee (2700 students in the district) has managed playing in what has become a big school tournament has been nothing short of extraordinary.  

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

This should fall under the purview of the UIl, not the State of Texas legislature. Its incumbant on the UIL, not the State, to assure competative fairness. Stop the recruiting and out of control transfers and the UIL could solve a lot by just doing that.   

Exactly.

22 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Here's my idea for 7A. Take largest 64 schools. 8 districts 8 teams. Everyone makes the playoffs.

That would make the other 12 divisions even at about 120 schools. No more 4 team districts. Makes all the divisions closer between the max and min too.

That's a better idea than his.  His seems just to bring back Permian to prominance.  It's not like he's advocating for the RVG or El Paso to get in the title game....

On 3/9/2023 at 8:04 AM, Separation Scientist said:

This should fall under the purview of the UIl, not the State of Texas legislature. Its incumbant on the UIL, not the State, to assure competative fairness. Stop the recruiting and out of control transfers and the UIL could solve a lot by just doing that.   

The UIL is an appendage of the UT System, which is a state institution. Ergo, it falls under the Legislature's purview either way.

18 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

The UIL is an appendage of the UT System, which is a state institution. Ergo, it falls under the Legislature's purview either way.

Technically, eventually, but the State is at a terifically higher level than this. Its incumbant on the UIL to do their job first before it comes anywhere near the State having to deal with it. Kind of like saying a local municipality must set and enforce its own parking rules, before getting The State of Texas involved. Thats way too many levels higher above to seriously consider.      

2 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Technically, eventually, but the State is at a terifically higher level than this. Its incumbant on the UIL to do their job first before it comes anywhere near the State having to deal with it. Kind of like saying a local municipality must set and enforce its own parking rules, before getting The State of Texas involved. Thats way too many levels higher above to seriously consider.      

It's the Legislature's prerogative. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't suggest telling them that.

6 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

It's the Legislature's prerogative. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't suggest telling them that.

"Ain't skered" at all. As a citizen of Texas and the USA, I am not afraid to tell them any damn thing I want to. They are supposed to work for me, not the other way around.  

If the UT-UIL is so derilect in their duties or incapable to assure competative fairness that "the State of Texas" has to intervene, then its a huge, huge shame on them. It would be beyond embarrasing for them and as well UT if it really comes to that.