DuBois named Vidor new AD/Head Football Coach

If DuBois can find a passer, and will throw some, the Slot T will work great.  And like I’ve heard, he has a great bunch of Juniors to be coming up, he should have a great two starting years.  2025 will tell the tale if the first two are successful.  To my knowledge his previous HC jobs were at schools not previously running the Slot T.  Kids in Vidor been running it since flag football.

And again, Best of luck to Coach Dubois.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:35 PM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

It is a buddy system hire but he will do better than Mathews. He was the one responsible for  Mathews most successful seasons. Mathews would never recommend  a great coach because it would give the fans something to compare his career to. Control Freak !!

I wish VISD would have explored the best possible candidates and that they would lose the mindset that Vidor can't run anything else but the Slot-T. It  only had  a 50% winning percentage there but it's a culture thing

Brilliant logic. 

Which specific offense do you recommend that would yield greater results with the same players?

On 3/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, oldschool2 said:

It's hilarious to me.  The Orangefield Coach/Team was emphatically congratulated on the season they had... while running the Slot-T.  Coincidentally, the predicted front runner and spread team of the district (Anahuac).. had their season ended by eventual state champ and another Slot-T team (Franklin).

It's almost as if people don't realize the irony. 

Names not on this applicant list…anyone with the last name Joseph, or anyone who thinks Vidor is a spread team with great speed, also Chris Soza, Kent Walker, John Hall, Paul Kilby, Mark Fannin, Bruce Bush names that are very well known in coaching circles. 
Good luck to Coach DuBois & The Pirates. 

On 3/7/2023 at 11:05 AM, VHS73 said:

Applicants for Vidor HC/AD:
Robert Deshazo-Lumberton
Milton Dwayne Dubois- retired former Vidor, BC, HJ
Ricklan Holmes-Tyler
Bruce Munden-Eureka Kansas
Robie Robbins-Rockport-Fulton DC
Jake Smith-HC Hardin
Michael Trahan-Vidor OC

Honestly that's very embarrassing that only 7 to 10 people applied for this job.  

I don’t think it is embarrassing. You are at a town that has average athletes year after year.  Most applicants want to go to a place that can consistently win.  The athletes at Vidor work hard and usually over achieve, however they usually do not make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I am sure that had a great deal to do with the few number of applicants 

16 hours ago, spidersal said:

I don’t think it is embarrassing. You are at a town that has average athletes year after year.  Most applicants want to go to a place that can consistently win.  The athletes at Vidor work hard and usually over achieve, however they usually do not make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I am sure that had a great deal to do with the few number of applicants 

That and I am sure the coaches communicated about the opening and with knowing that DuBois applied, I am sure a few decided not to apply, if the rumor early on was that they were going to hire him, as some had mentioned? 

vidor will be just fine. theyre one of the larger schools in the distirct and the kids work extremely hard..too i think* for some odd reason those complaining about the slot t when its the most successful vidors been historically baffles me! style points dont win games and offensive scheme alone isnt why they win or lose😷

So there were applicants from Kansas, Rockport-Fulton & Tyler? But the job was not well advertised? You think an Assistant at Southlake Carroll who did not apply should have been hired? You think they should run any other offense as long as it isn’t the Slot T. Vidor tried the Spread, the flex one, e den the slot T out of the gun. They have run a 3-3, 4-2-5, 3-4 defenses also. Don’t hear much on here about that! I also hear that Vidor has Speed that could be shown off in another offense. Please prove this one to me!!! Who are these speedsters? Where are they? Please tell us something that the coaches haven’t evaluated. 

12 hours ago, OGVillain said:

So there were applicants from Kansas, Rockport-Fulton & Tyler? But the job was not well advertised? You think an Assistant at Southlake Carroll who did not apply should have been hired? You think they should run any other offense as long as it isn’t the Slot T. Vidor tried the Spread, the flex one, e den the slot T out of the gun. They have run a 3-3, 4-2-5, 3-4 defenses also. Don’t hear much on here about that! I also hear that Vidor has Speed that could be shown off in another offense. Please prove this one to me!!! Who are these speedsters? Where are they? Please tell us something that the coaches haven’t evaluated. 

I haven't seen any said speedsters at the track meets. Just lumberton this year lol

On 3/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, setxathlete14 said:

vidor will be just fine. theyre one of the larger schools in the distirct and the kids work extremely hard..too i think* for some odd reason those complaining about the slot t when its the most successful vidors been historically baffles me! style points dont win games and offensive scheme alone isnt why they win or lose😷

Two schools and their records over the last 3 years that run the exact Slot-T as Vidor.  Remember, these Slot-T's are a hair different than others.      Franklin:  44-3     Liberty Hill:  38-6.       

So, it's not the offense.  Doug Ethridge once told me "it doesn't matter what you run."  The offense that won Ethridge's first State Title changed, some-what, in winning his second Title.  

Now, let's see Vidor's 3 year record:  18-12      I think the difference may have just been, well, never mind.   :)

On 3/14/2023 at 2:22 PM, Reagan said:

Seems to me if Mount Vernon could hire someone of this nature then Vidor could have also.  Well, that's if they wanted to, of course.  

This is the hidden content, please

What's your take on this hire?  Seems to me that you're implying that it's the kind of hire people should seek.  Right?

This season will be telling for sure.. MV lost a D1 prospect of a QB to injury before this season ended.. and is losing probably the best RB in the state for that classification.  Both of whom were huge parts of their offensive prowess.. even the RB solo after the QB went down.  I have a friend from that area that thinks MV may struggle for the next little while.  Unless your philosophy on coaches holds true to form.. or if he brings some talent with him.  We'll see.  I never count out schools that are traditionally good or are in an area conducive to move ins.