DuBois named Vidor new AD/Head Football Coach

20 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

It is a buddy system hire but he will do better than Mathews. He was the one responsible for  Mathews most successful seasons. Mathews would never recommend  a great coach because it would give the fans something to compare his career to. Control Freak !!

I wish VISD would have explored the best possible candidates and that they would lose the mindset that Vidor can't run anything else but the Slot-T. It  only had  a 50% winning percentage there but it's a culture thing

Who from that list of applicants posted ^ would you have hired?  Just curious.  Remember... if a person didn't apply, they probably don't want the job.

So who is your pick from the list of applicants?

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

So out if that list, did the best candidate get the job? 🚬 

There was 1 with better record. And 3 yet to be given an opportunity to prove themselves. Although I wonder if more would've applied if it was truly opened to all possible candidates. One coach even joined this site just to inquire about the position. His name is not on the list. See how you can lose potentially elite coaches to buddy hires. 🧢

0-0 Robert Deshazo
45-51 Milton Dwayne Dubois
79-51 Ricklan Holmes

0-0 Robie Robbins
3-7 Jake Smith
0-0 Michael Trahan

28-54 Bruce Munden (??? He's claimed in multiple schools in the same year)

(8-10) EUREKA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT 389
Apr 2021 - Present

(1-8) Booker ISD
May 2019 - Apr 2021

(11-15) Nathan Hale High School
May 2017 - Apr 2021

(1-19) Haileyville High School
Jun 2015 - Jul 2017

(7-12)Barnsdall High School
Aug 2013 - May 2015

Edited by WOSdrummer99
Made correction

39 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

It is a buddy system hire but he will do better than Mathews. He was the one responsible for  Mathews most successful seasons. Mathews would never recommend  a great coach because it would give the fans something to compare his career to. Control Freak !!

I wish VISD would have explored the best possible candidates and that they would lose the mindset that Vidor can't run anything else but the Slot-T. It  only had  a 50% winning percentage there but it's a culture thing

Just curious why you think Vidor cant win with the Slot T? 

17 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

There was 1 with better record. And 3 yet to be given an opportunity to prove themselves. Although I wonder if more would've applied if it was truly opened to all possible candidates. One coach even joined this site just to inquire about the position. His name is not on the list. See how you can lose potentially elite coaches to buddy hires. 🧢

0-0 Robert Deshazo
79-51 Ricklan Holmes

0-0 Robie Robbins
3-7 Jake Smith
0-0 Michael Trahan

Apr 2021 - Present

(1-8) Booker ISD
May 2019 - Apr 2021

May 2017 - Apr 2021

Jun 2015 - Jul 2017

Aug 2013 - May 2015

Wow, some local 2A & 1A schools get bigger candidates list. I'm surprised thought there would be a lot of interest in this opening. Well, it's obvious I know nothing. Coach Dubois congrats and do Vidor Athletics' the best you can.

On 3/7/2023 at 11:05 AM, VHS73 said:

Applicants for Vidor HC/AD:
Robert Deshazo-Lumberton
Milton Dwayne Dubois- retired former Vidor, BC, HJ
Ricklan Holmes-Tyler
Bruce Munden-Eureka Kansas
Robie Robbins-Rockport-Fulton DC
Jake Smith-HC Hardin
Michael Trahan-Vidor OC

Now that would've been interesting. 

We've seen the "the list".  Was this all for show with their man already decided on?  Was there any "off the record" contacts?  Probably not, unless someone on the inside can contradict.  The mediocre mindset, or losing mindset, is like the welfare state, it's hard to break away from.  Does the I-10 Vidor 0 mindset still permeate the Vidor psyche?  Jimmy Johnson once said:  "the enemy of great is good".  Also from JJ, and I'm paraphrasing:  Everyone is in a comfort zone.  You have a decent season, maybe make the playoffs.  Even if you aren't close to a championship, you think you are successful.   Is this where Vidor is at?  You go from a losing record coach to a losing record coach and you think you've accomplished something.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

We've seen the "the list".  Was this all for show with their man already decided on?  Was there any "off the record" contacts?  Probably not, unless someone on the inside can contradict.  The mediocre mindset, or losing mindset, is like the welfare state, it's hard to break away from.  Does the I-10 Vidor 0 mindset still permeate the Vidor psyche?  Jimmy Johnson once said:  "the enemy of great is good".  Also from JJ, and I'm paraphrasing:  Everyone is in a comfort zone.  You have a decent season, maybe make the playoffs.  Even if you aren't close to a championship, you think you are successful.   Is this where Vidor is at?  You go from a losing record coach to a losing record coach and you think you've accomplished something.  Thoughts?

Correction : It's now Interstate 10 - Vidor 6 and we're cool with that. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

He was the most qualified and has a winning record. 

Not sure they would've bought into his offensive scheme.

I'm surprised he even applied. I haven't talked to him in a few months, I'm going to hit him up in a few days and see what was the thinking on that. 

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

I don't know the origin of the phrase but people have been saying versions of it for over 100 years.  I like the way Jim Collins describes it. 

“Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great. We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in large part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life.”

I am not questioning the hire.  I like Dubois and think a lot of him. I hope the Vidor faithful will support him and give him a chance.

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

Curious old buddy, where is Nederland at?

16 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Never thought of Vidor as "having speed". I wonder if the logic is that "speed is a hinderance to the Slot T"? Or, "we are too fast to properly run the Slot T"?

I was being facetious.  Coincidentally.. I like the Slot-T.  I also like the spread.. and I like most offensive schemes when ran successfully.  None of them are designed to fail.  No coach says, "We're going to run this offense.. and hope for a few yards or even getting back to the line of scrimmage.  And if not, we'll just punt and try again next drive."  They're all designed to lead into substantial gains.. Having said that, the slot-t isn't good for playing catchup.  So when you need quick scores or to make up ground, it's not good.  But, the slot-t wins state titles every year.  Hard to say it isn't effective.  I like to think coaches do what they feel puts the team in the best situation to win games based on either their personnel or knowledge. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I was being facetious.  Coincidentally.. I like the Slot-T.  I also like the spread.. and I like most offensive schemes when ran successfully.  None of them are designed to fail.  No coach says, "We're going to run this offense.. and hope for a few yards or even getting back to the line of scrimmage.  And if not, we'll just punt and try again next drive."  They're all designed to lead into substantial gains.. Having said that, the slot-t isn't good for playing catchup.  So when you need quick scores or to make up ground, it's not good.  But, the slot-t wins state titles every year.  Hard to say it isn't effective.  I like to think coaches do what they feel puts the team in the best situation to win games based on either their personnel or knowledge. 

Sarcasm understood, Mine was continuing the sarcasm. Agree with you 100%. The Slot T clearly works as do most systems when run and executed correctly. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:11 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

0-0 Robert Deshazo
79-51 Ricklan Holmes

0-0 Robie Robbins
3-7 Jake Smith
0-0 Michael Trahan

Apr 2021 - Present

(1-8) Booker ISD
May 2019 - Apr 2021

May 2017 - Apr 2021

Jun 2015 - Jul 2017

Aug 2013 - May 2015

Deshazo was BC HC for a couple, few years.

55 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Sarcasm understood, Mine was continuing the sarcasm. Agree with you 100%. The Slot T clearly works as do most systems when run and executed correctly. 

It's hilarious to me.  The Orangefield Coach/Team was emphatically congratulated on the season they had... while running the Slot-T.  Coincidentally, the predicted front runner and spread team of the district (Anahuac).. had their season ended by eventual state champ and another Slot-T team (Franklin).

It's almost as if people don't realize the irony.