Embattled Rockwall-Heath football coach resigns after multiple students diagnosed with rhabdo, officials say

Bobcat1

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Embattled Rockwall-Heath football coach resigns after multiple students diagnosed with rhabdo, officials say
11 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I don't understand your question. 

Is the article saying that an excessive number of push ups is possibly the cause of what they were diagnosed with?  That doesn't seem like a big thing to me.  16 pushups for a made mistake... I don't know.  Maybe I'm missing something.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Is the article saying that an excessive number of push ups is possibly the cause of what they were diagnosed with?  That doesn't seem like a big thing to me.  16 pushups for a made mistake... I don't know.  Maybe I'm missing something.

16 per mistake - they made 23 mistakes = 368 pushups on top of the conditioning that were doing during the regular workout period. 

12 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

16 per mistake - they made 23 mistakes = 368 pushups on top of the conditioning that were doing during the regular workout period. 

I read it.  I just mean it doesn't quite add up.. 368 pushups over the course of 60 minute athletic period along with doing an athletic workout.  You know there was a few minutes to get dressed.. and another few to get dressed to leave (or whatever).  I just mean the math isn't mathing.  I'm sure there was muscle failure from fatigue at some point which means that the pushups were either hideous in form or not done.  I read that marines typically have to do 200 perfect pushups in a DAY.  You're telling me these high school kid had to do over 350 in an hour?  Plus an athletic workout that was long enough for 23 mistakes to have been made?  Just not adding up to me.

41 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I read it.  I just mean it doesn't quite add up.. 368 pushups over the course of 60 minute athletic period along with doing an athletic workout.  You know there was a few minutes to get dressed.. and another few to get dressed to leave (or whatever).  I just mean the math isn't mathing.  I'm sure there was muscle failure from fatigue at some point which means that the pushups were either hideous in form or not done.  I read that marines typically have to do 200 perfect pushups in a DAY.  You're telling me these high school kid had to do over 350 in an hour?  Plus an athletic workout that was long enough for 23 mistakes to have been made?  Just not adding up to me.

Adds up to me.  Some of these coaches aren't the brightest.  A coach can find a "mistake" every 30 seconds amongst a large group of kids working out if they're trying to increase a punishment.  They want to punish their kids into submission.  We were overworked at times when I played as a punishment, but never to the point where our muscles broke down.  This exact same thing happened at HF several years ago, and there were plenty of folks jumping in to defend the coach and blame the kids for being soft, even after the HF coaches put 4 or 5 students in the hospital, and many other students had to miss sporting events that week because they were unable to walk/run properly.  Also, the way I read it is that they kept a tally of how many mistakes were made, then added it up at the end.  But either way, are you suggesting that all these students who ended up in the hospital were "faking" it?  

10 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Adds up to me.  Some of these coaches aren't the brightest.  They want to punish their kids into submission.  We were overworked when I played as a punishment, but never to the point where our muscles broke down.  This exact same thing happened at HF several years ago, and there were plenty of folks jumping in to defend the coach and blame the kids for being soft, even after the HF coaches put 4 or 5 students in the hospital, and many other students had to miss sporting events that week because they were unable to walk/run properly.  Also, the way I read it is that they kept a tally of how many mistakes were made, then added it up at the end.  But either way, are you suggesting that all these students who ended up in the hospital were "faking" it?  

Of course not.. I'm just suggesting that there may be more to this.  And no, I don't believe that a 15 year old kid can do 368 pushups and an athletic workout in an hour.

I remember that HF story.. didn't that turn out to be overexaggerated? 

19 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Of course not.. I'm just suggesting that there may be more to this.  And no, I don't believe that a 15 year old kid can do 368 pushups and an athletic workout in an hour.

I remember that HF story.. didn't that turn out to be overexaggerated? 

no.  at least 4 kids were hospitalized, and two ended up at Texas Children's.  Several others were unable to work out or play in their sporting events for over a week.  Several folks on here tried to make it out to be overexaggerated, or to downplay the seriousness of the situation.

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

no.  at least 4 kids were hospitalized, and two ended up at Texas Children's.  Several others were unable to work out or play in their sporting events for over a week.  Several folks on here tried to make it out to be overexaggerated, or to downplay the seriousness of the situation.

I meant didn't law enforcement come in and discover that there was nothing to be charged for?  The coach didn't get arrested, did he?  I would think that if a coach did something to hospitalize some kids then there would be something.  Even if under the guise of "working out".  Right?  

I'm truly asking..

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I meant didn't law enforcement come in and discover that there was nothing to be charged for?  The coach didn't get arrested, did he?  I would think that if a coach did something to hospitalize some kids then there would be something.  Even if under the guise of "working out".  Right?  

I'm truly asking..

No charges were filed to my knowledge.  But that doesn’t change the fact that the coach’s actions put four kids in the hospital, and affected several more.  So in my opinion, no charges being filed doesn’t mean that he wasn’t wrong in what he did.  

6 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Just a bunch of soft a** kids & parent's if you ask me, having boot camp in the off-season is nothing new. This same thing is going on at North Shore right now & you won’t hear one complaint! 

more like ignorant coaches.  kids today are soft, no argument there, but putting them in the hospital isn't how you fix it.  if a coach makes kids do work that they physically are incapable of doing and badly hurts them, that's on the coach, not the kid or parent.  it's the coach's responsibility to build up the child's ability to do the work.  Of course, these coaches seem to understand that concept just fine until they're mad and want to punish the kids for something.  That was the case here, and also at Hamshire-Fannett a few years ago.  The coaches get pissed, and then all of a sudden they forget that it's their responsibility to keep their athletes safe.  Work them to the point of hospitalization, then play dumb and act like they didn't do anything wrong.  Your reference to North Shore doesn't really work, because North Shore isn't putting their players in the hospital. If they did, there would be plenty of complaints. That said, it's not an issue.  while those coaches work their players very hard, they do it responsibly, unlike the coach here from Rockwall Heath.

This is the hidden content, please

Exercise physiology matters!!  Tough, not tough, whatever you want to argue....if you are going to work athletes extremely hard there is a process that must be undertaken to prepare the body.  I know nothing of the strength and conditioning program at the high schools mentioned in this thread, but it's quite obvious that the "punishment" administered was not physiologically sound.  

The Oregon situation from several years back that I linked here should be all any coach needs to know that there must be progression to go to "extremes" without detrimental effects. 

On 3/8/2023 at 8:52 AM, Coach_Izzy said:

Just a bunch of soft a** kids & parent's if you ask me, having boot camp in the off-season is nothing new. This same thing is going on at North Shore right now & you won’t hear one complaint! 

No complaing because it's definitely a scientific based approach.  Take ANY person in the world and train a muscle or group of muscles to the point concentric muscle contraction is impossible, eccentric contraction is failing easily, and do it over and over and over...HOSPITALIZATION is happening soon.  Even an elite athlete from North Shore or the University of Oregon. 

Again you have tough kids & you have kids that’s going to report to mommy…boot camp goes on at just about every school in Texas (that’s worth a damn at least) and probably a lot tougher boot camps are happening than the one we’re discussing. Tough kids don’t go report to their parents that they had to do too many push ups. No coach in their right mind is purposely sending kids to the hospital, I’m sure it’s kids at NS & other schools across the state experiencing the same discomfort the Rockwall kids felt. Diff is they’re fighting through it & not running home telling mommy.

You mean to tell me an entire team did 200+ push ups & yet only a few had to go to the hospital? Common sense ain’t that common 

1 hour ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Again you have tough kids & you have kids that’s going to report to mommy…boot camp goes on at just about every school in Texas (that’s worth a damn at least) and probably a lot tougher boot camps are happening than the one we’re discussing. Tough kids don’t go report to their parents that they had to do too many push ups. No coach in their right mind is purposely sending kids to the hospital, I’m sure it’s kids at NS & other schools across the state experiencing the same discomfort the Rockwall kids felt. Diff is they’re fighting through it & not running home telling mommy.

You mean to tell me an entire team did 200+ push ups & yet only a few had to go to the hospital? Common sense ain’t that common 

Tough has nothing to do with it.  It's a scientific principle. Ask any CSCS and they will confirm. You simply don't take a muscle to exhaustion in a anaerobic style over and over.  Microscopic muscle tearing, which can be beneficial, will be exercibated and that's just the start of your problems. 

I'll add this. It's likely the tougher kids that are working hardest in an unsound program would be the ones hospitalized by pushing so hard. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, Coach_Izzy said:

When's the last time you did a single push up?  

On 3/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, Coach_Izzy said:

You're a silly, silly person.